Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Rudolph DVD has terrible sound!

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Rudolph DVD has terrible sound!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-99, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is anyone else disappointed with the recent Rudolph (1964) DVD release from Sony? The audio, during many of the songs, sounds "warbled" (as if it were mastered off of a warped record). I also noticed, at the 35:52 point in the show, there was a "walkie-talkie" type sound of someone talking in the background for a few seconds. Does anyone else have this on their disc or does anyone else know what it is?

-Jon
Old 10-06-99, 10:45 PM

Huh? Reel has this title listed with a 10/19 release date. Do you have a promo or something? I pre-ordered this and was looking forward to it, but if the audio sounds that bad maybe I should cancel it.

------------------
When will Reel learn, customer service is the key!

Old 10-07-99, 03:16 AM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jilgon,

DVDFile had a review of this movie. They thought the audio was pretty bad too:

quote:<HR>Audio: How Does The Disc Sound?

The sound is another story all together. The two-channel mono is quite clear (as opposed to the cloudy sound of the laserdisc), and surprisingly free of distortion. However (and this is a really BIG however), there are several places where the sound warbles, rather like a tape in a player whose batteries are running down. It was particularly noticeable at the end of the songs "There's Always Tomorrow" and "Silver and Gold," but there were other spots as well. I went back and checked this on the laserdisc, and found no problem there, so this must be a problem with this transfer. Calls to Sony Music about the problem were not returned.<HR>

This is a real shame for such a timeless classic.

------------------
-David
Old 10-07-99, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I read that DVDFile review and I really didn't understand it... he starts off by saying what an "improvement" this DVD is over the recent remastered laserdisc. He says that the sound on the LD is "cloudy" and that compared to the DVD, the picture looks "remarkably bad". Although I haven't yet seen the DVD, I think the LD looks and sounds great (plus it includes 3 other Christmas specials for roughly the same price as this DVD -- Frosty the Snowman, Little Drummer Boy, Santa Claus is Coming to Town).

Then he starts trashing the sound quality (pointing out that the warbling sound is not present on the LD) and saying that the disc is waaay overpriced for what you get. Sounds like it isn't really an improvement at all. I'll probably rent the DVD to compare, but it sounds like I'll be sticking with my LD...
Old 10-07-99, 11:50 AM
Mod Emeritus

Just jokin' wit ya

edited.. how odd it doesn't support html image tag but it says HTML is ON.

[This message has been edited by Gallant Pig (edited 10-07-1999).]
Old 10-07-99, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
jligon

You ignoramous...cheer up! I love Rudolph!
I was'nt saying nothing negative about the movie..but if it has something odd..I really make fun of the studio. If I'm a moron here in the forum..so are you.
Old 10-07-99, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

C'mon, folks, there is no need to call anyone a moron.

--Heather

Reviews Forum Moderator
Old 10-07-99, 02:27 PM

Heather,
While I disagree with your assertion, I will gladly comply. I get kind of defensive when it comes to the Island of Misfit Toys.

-Jon
Old 10-07-99, 02:28 PM

Sonic & GPIG,
I apologize. I think I misinterpreted both of you.

-Jon
Old 10-07-99, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

See, aren't we just one big happy family here at DVDTalk .

Jon, I understand where you were coming from, I suppose I just felt differently because I've been reading sonic's good-intentioned (but sometimes misinterpreted) posts for quite some time now.

--Heather
Old 10-07-99, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
jligon

quote:<HR>I think I misinterpreted both of you.<HR>

Well you certainly did! What, you think you're the only one with the strong feelings about the Island of Misfit Toys? What about me? Never has there been a time when Rudolph plays on television that I don't pay attention and start jumping up and down like a little kid. I love that movie..always..in my heart it will stay. I just get so MAD..DAM##T about these F^$$^^%$g studios destroying films that are embedded in the minds of the human race. Films that are cherished and admired year to year..forever.

I also apologize for calling you an ignoramous..and my reply of Rudolph I will Immediately delete. Thanks for apologizing..I feel better.

Old 10-07-99, 02:39 PM
Mod Emeritus

Group hug, guys? You too Heather!

ps I deleted my message, too.

[This message has been edited by Gallant Pig (edited 10-07-1999).]
Old 10-07-99, 03:57 PM

Hey guys...he said group hug...stop groping Heather! Just had to throw that in there guys...totally off topic, I know.