Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

wanted: Evil Dead triology reviews

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

wanted: Evil Dead triology reviews

Old 09-15-99, 05:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
has anyone seen Evil Dead and its sequels?
Old 09-16-99, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've seen all three but it's been awhile since i saw the 1st and third.

This is what I remember:

Evil Dead 2 is basically a self-parody. It's more of a remake of Evil Dead 1 than it is a sequel. The original Evil Dead was trying to be a little more serious of a horror movie, and Evil Dead 2 was pretty much a comedy disguised as a horror movie.

I personally loved Evil Dead 2. I thought it was hilarious. It had some ..ahem "slow" moments. But slow is only compared to its normal high speed pace. I think it's better than the 1st, but it's interesting to see the 1st, and some people actually prefer it.

Army of Darkness (ED 3).. is more of a comedy-fantasy than horrow. It's also been known as Medievel Dead. (i know i spelled it wrong). It's funny and is packed with great one liners. It's really silly though, so be warned. When I saw this it that theatre, it was at the bargain $1 theatre, and we actually heard other people saying that couldn't believe they paid that much to see it. On the other hand, me and my friends loved it.

These movies are an acquired taste. If you haven't seen them.. I suggest renting Evil Dead 2 and AOD .. before buying them. Like I said.. Personally I loved them, but I can see why people would be turned off.
Old 09-16-99, 03:29 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evil Dead 1 is a good horror flick.
Evil Dead 2 is a bigger budget remake of Evil Dead 1 but includes slapstick comedy. It's also good.

Skip AOD. Waste of time.
Old 09-16-99, 04:30 PM

To me, all three were awful!!!!!!
The schlocky gore for the sake of gore,
wasnt funny or the least bit scary.
To me a BETTER "splatstick horror" movie was
Re-Animator. It was silly, but at least I got few laughs. Also try Zombi, and Demons and Demons 2.
Old 09-17-99, 03:21 AM

I saw ED2 a long time ago and thought it was very funny and then later saw AOD which I liked, but it wasn't as funny as ED2. I only recently saw ED1 and was a little let down at first because I guess I was kinda expecting more humor, but it is an okay horror movie.

"Hail to the king, baby"
Old 09-18-99, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Are you looking for movie reviews or the quality of the DVDs???

Well I won't bother commenting on the movies because so much has already been said about these films.

EVIL DEAD- I got the Anchor bay disc that come in the Super Jewel Box, It is the best this film has ever looked or sounded(I Have not seen the Elite version)

EVIL DEAD II- A decent yet lackluster transfer, The colors are pretty good but image seems a bit on the smeary side. The audio however SUCKS!!! I'm not taking anything away from it because it's in mono, But because the audio quality a simply horrid, It sounds like it was recorded on a telephone answering machine. The bass is there, but it is crude and muddy, the soundtrack also lacks and high range sounds.

I have not seen the dvd for ARMY OF DARKNESS

------------------
>>Brian Lawrence<<

http://www.dvdtracker.com/~Bugg.asp

Old 09-19-99, 12:20 AM

Evil Dead 1: SKIP IT!
Evil Dead 2: BUY IT!
Army of Darkness: RENT IT!

Evil Dead 1 is very slow and very low budget... Evil Dead 2 is bigger budget, funnier film that incorporates all of Evil Dead 1 (only faster paced and condenced). Army of Darkness is a good corny Austin Powers meets Clash of the Titans meets Willow (but not necessarily the best mix of the three)
Old 09-20-99, 02:03 PM

Evil Dead: SE (or CE, whichever) has some good commentaries, but I agree that it has the least re-watchability, unless you're a die-hard low-budget horror fan, which I'm not.

Evil Dead 2 has the pacing and humor that make a movie like this work for me, and I'd recommend waiting until the special edition of this comes out.

AoD: I loved this one, but it's the only one I saw in the theater, so that may be part of my bias. I just loved the humor. It's more comedy than horror, and you can see the direction Raimi was going toward Xena and Hercules here. I've never seen those shows, but I'm guessing that I'm close.

Can't wait for the Limited Edition, with the Raimi cut, and commentaries.

"Give me some sugar"

------------------
~epski

My DVD Tracker List

Old 09-22-99, 03:17 PM

All three are great. Evil Dead is still the scariest movie I've ever seen. As for AoD, I loved it! It's very corny and it doesn't take itself seriously one bit. It's one of those films where you get a group of your friends together to watch it. Very enjoyable.