DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

When We Were Kings

Old 09-21-99, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A documentary that took over 20 years to release in 1996 about the 1974 boxing match between Muhammad Ali and George Foreman. The film is a mix of the events at the time and recollections by people who were a part of it. The comments of Spike Lee, Norman Mailer, and George Plimpton gives a great perspective on looking back and the feelings at the time and since. Intercut are several bits of the concert that was part of the event. B.B. King, James Brown, and local music groups add a feeling that this was more that a big event, it was a great event. Watching Ali try to talk up a big fight, Don King talk up a big event, and Foreman just stare builds to a great fight. The fight lasting eight rounds and is edited to save time, but the feel of a fight is still left.
After the fight is a recap of Ali's life against the title song "When We Were Kings" and I must say, I watched it 4 times. The editing always moves along and keeps bringing you into the event until you are there, standing ringside and wondering who will win the fight.

The DVD also has a few short comments by the Director Leon Gast about Ali and Foreman and looking back some 20 years. A very nice addition.

I have a 21" TV, so I can only say that the picture looked great for a 20 year old documentary shot in Africa. The sound was clear and the music came in very clear.

I am not a sports fan, but as a film fan, I must say, get "When We Were Kings".