Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted: Unbearable Lightness of Being, The

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: Unbearable Lightness of Being, The

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-99, 04:07 AM
DucksFan

I am thinking of getting the Criterion Collection of "The Unbearable Lightness of Being", but I have never seen it. I like both Daniel Day-Lewis and Juliette Binoche, so I most likely get it. I just wondering what comments people might have on the film?
Old 08-22-99, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,202 Likes on 4,229 Posts
My favorite film of 1988. It's beautiful, sensual and erotic. It's about a womanizing doctor in Prauge(Daniel Day Lewis), his innocent wife (Binoche) and his mistress (Lena Olin). It starts out as a simple domestic story, but then it gets political with the uprising of 1968. It's a wonderful, slowly paced drama. It feels almost like a forign film, but in English. The casting director did a great job, because both Binoche and Olin were unknown when this came out; they've both received Oscar noms since. All three actors turn in great performances.
I haven't seen the Criterion disc yet, but I imagine it's going to be great. I don't know if it's an anamorphic transfer, either.
Old 08-22-99, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll second Decker's review. It's slow, it's long, but it really is a wonderful film, with terrific acting and character development. I've had the Criterion DVD on order since it was first announced -- through 2 delays in release date.
Old 08-23-99, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
What movie did Lena Olin get an Oscar nomination? I know Binoche got the supporting actress Oscar for her role in The English Patient.
Old 08-23-99, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,202 Likes on 4,229 Posts
Enemies, A Love Story. She received a Best Supporting Actress Oscar nom; Angelica Huston received a Best Actress nom, neither won. That was a great film though.
Old 08-23-99, 11:19 AM

Decker,

It will be a 16x9 transfer and if "Insomnia" (Criteron's first 16x9 release) is any indication... it should be amazing.
Old 08-24-99, 03:38 PM

It's a very nice film, however it does not do justice to what is my number one favorite book of all-time, as it could not have, based on how it was written (perspective and changed characters are but the crux of why it can;t ever live up to the book). Rent or buy it, do yourself a favor and READ THE BOOK! Milan Kundera is one of this century's greatest novelists.