Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review: "Orlando"

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-99, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Based on the Virginia Woolf story of the same name, "Orlando" is about an English nobleman who becomes immortal. We first meet Orlando in the year 1600, and follow his journey up until some point in the 1900s (never specified, but the early 1990s are implied). The twist is that one morning about halfway through this time frame, he wakes up a she, and must adapt to life as a woman.

This was an art house hit in 1992, and is not for all tastes. Cast wise, the Queen (who starts it all by ordering Orlando to never grow old) is played by Quentin Crisp, and Billy Zane appears briefly at the end. Tilda Swinton stars as Orlando (as both man and woman, when Orlando is a man it is quite apparent that he's being played by a woman, that is explained in the script by mentioning that during this time men strived to have a feminine look), and is good though not excellent in her role.

"Orlando" is a visually stunning film, but this Sony Pictures Classic DVD doesn't do it justice. In fact, it is one of the most uneven looking discs I've ever seen. During much of the movie the image quality is solid and the lush settings look spectacular, but there are also moments during which grain is quite evident and the colors look very faded.

The Dolby Digital soundtrack more than suffices. Though filled with lovely music, a dose of gunfire, and mostly dialogue otherwise, none of it is that loud. Everything, however, is clear.

Special features include interactive menus, a Spanish language track, subtitles (English, Spanish, and French), the original theatrical trailer, cast and director career information and filmographies, production notes, and scene selections.

I would recommend renting before buying to everyone, not just those of you who are interested in it but have yet to see it, because this sparse disc doesn't look as good as it should (granted, this could be caused by the condition of source material) and has a MSRP of $27.95.

--Heather

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~ahber16.asp

Old 08-16-99, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,805 Likes on 1,127 Posts
Thanks Heather.

I was stoked when I heard Orlando was coming to dvd because of stunning sets(The winter scenes are to die for) but based on your review I will Rent first.
Old 08-18-99, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Glad I could be of service, Giantrobo .

--Heather

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~ahber16.asp

Old 08-22-99, 02:24 AM

I would just like to state that this is one of my all-time favorite movies. It really is quite good. The plot as described sounds rather strange, and I suppose it is somewhat off the beaten path. If you can suspend your disbelief and let yourself become involved in the story, I think you'll find it very rewarding. It's certainly worth a rental. I also mildly object to Heather's statement that Tilda Swinton isn't excellent in this role. I think she's great. I pre-ordered this DVD almost as soon as it was announced, but I haven't had a chance to watch it yet so I can't comment on the transfer. This movie deserved special edition treatment, but I'm just so thrilled to have it on DVD at all that it hardly matters to me. Frankly, I had my doubts that it would ever be released on DVD, so it was such a pleasant surprise when it was announced.