Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

BOOGIE NIGHTS DVD, The SWEET HEREAFTER DVD or SPECIES DVD?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

BOOGIE NIGHTS DVD, The SWEET HEREAFTER DVD or SPECIES DVD?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-99, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know Boogie Nights and Sweet Hereafter are terrific films. But DVD wise which one is superior? How about Species DVD?

I'm trying to select which one to pick as the free DVD from the Warner Brothers coupon I got from SlickRick (Richard, thanks agiain!)

Please help me. Thanks.
Old 07-15-99, 12:30 AM

I haven't seen the Boogie Nights DVD. I've heard it's great. The Sweet Herafter one(which I got from 800 for 9.95 w/coupon) is amazing. It has an interview with Atom Egoyan, a short sequence(some sort of press conference) with Atom Egoyan and Russell Banks talking about the adaptation process along with Banks reading passages from the book, the book of Pied Piper of Hamlin in its entirety, and commentary from Egoyan and Banks(which I haven't listened to yet). If you're a fan of this movie, I highly recommend the DVD.
Old 07-15-99, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I agree with Glenn about "The Sweet Hereafter". It's one of my favorite movies. The extras are great, as is the transfer.

"Boogie Nights" is a great disc also. The extras include a bunch of deleted scenes (at least 7....maybe more), a music video for Michael Penn's "Try", and a commentary by the director on all of the above. Another neat bonus is that the cast bios also include character bios with a brief history and filmography of the film's characters...very funny stuff.

In short, both discs are great in terms of transfer and extras. I think I'd choose "The Sweet Hereafter", if only because I personally think it is the better of the two films.

jim

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~gamblor187.asp
Old 07-15-99, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
i own species on dvd. it's a great science fictional flick! i enjoyed it, and still do.
Old 07-15-99, 03:16 PM

what's with all the italics today, sonic?

------------------
-anywayz, My DVDs

Old 07-15-99, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
what do you mean? i'm just changing the hand writing? ottofunk9does writing like thismeans something? i know WRITING LIKE THIS MEANS shoutingbut what does writing in italic mean? i'm curious.
Old 07-16-99, 02:23 AM

although quite too late, thanks guys. i already chose boogie nights. based on the response, i should have gotten sweet hereafter instead. i bought species in bigstar using coupon.

did you know where's the best deal on 'the sweet hereafter' dvd?
Old 07-17-99, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just watched "The Sweet Hereafter," and was very impressed, though I have yet to really go through everything included on the disc.

I don't know if this is the best deal on it, but I used a BigStar ten dollar off coupon and got it for $11.42 shipped.

--Heather

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~ahber16.asp
Old 07-17-99, 10:13 AM

i was about to purchase at bigstar when they raised their DVD prices
Old 07-17-99, 10:36 AM
classícman

I haven't seen The Sweet Hereafter - know nothing about the film, but I would like to know if an older person (such as me) would normally like it. I read the plot analysis from IMDB, but it was pretty sketchy.
Old 07-17-99, 11:15 AM

The Sweet Hereafter is not a movie to be liked or enjoyed. It can only be admired. It is fairly devasating. I don't think age enters into the equation - this is not a hip, pop culture type of film. It is just downright brilliant.
Old 07-17-99, 08:06 PM
classícman

Thanks, videohunter. I think I'll buy it.
Old 07-18-99, 01:04 AM

I got The Sweet Hereafter for $9.95 shipped from 800.com(with coupon). For the record, I thought this was the best movie of 1997. Much better than the other sinking vehicle movie.