Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

review wanted: the witness....(harrison ford)

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

review wanted: the witness....(harrison ford)

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-99, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
any good my fellow dvd fans. never seen it or heard of..it's coming out on dvd. or is it out already? any good.
Old 07-13-99, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh, come on you guys, somebody has seen this. I was curious about it myself.

------------------
"You want my blood, take my blood! Here it is, take it!"....Samuel L. Jackson as Danny Roman in the Negotiator
Old 07-13-99, 06:09 PM
joonwoo

Does it have English subtitle?
Thanks
Old 07-13-99, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
I have this disc and it is very good. The transfer is top notch, especially for a film this old. There is some grain, but not very much.

The story may not appeal to some. It's about a cop who, in order to protect an Amish boy who witnesses a murder of a police officer, hides out in Amish coutry to avoid the killers. It has some humor, and there is a love story between Ford and an Amish woman. It really challenges the viewer to look at the "civilized" society and the Amish society and wonder which one is really more primitive. This is not really an action film despite a couple of shootouts early on and at the end.

There is an 8 minute interview with director Peter Wier where he discussed a bit about the making of the film. Despite only being 8 minutes, Wier is an intelligent man who conveys some interesting thoughts. I only wish this disc had a commentary from him. There is also a trailer for the film on the disc. Unfortunatly, there is no English subtitles. Paramount really annoys me with this because then I am forced to use closed captioning and I hate that.

If you 've never seen it, you should. Some might consider it a bit slow, but I like it. You may want to rent it first. The best feature on the disc is the film and it is given a truly great transfer.

[This message has been edited by sherm42 (edited 07-13-1999).]
Old 07-15-99, 08:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A great film! I have the DVD but have not cracked the seal yet. It is anamorphic (hear that sonic?) and has great performances by all. Definetely a keeper.