Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Best Years of Our Lives

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-99, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This Oscar winning classic is currently available on DVD (from a painstakingly restored print, which the disc explains in one of it's special features). It tells the story of three GI's returning home after the second world war. The homecoming although happy, is not easy. The Three are a seargent (Fredrich March) who comes home to his wife(Myrna Loy) and two children, and his job as a bank vice president that he is not ready to resume, The aviator (Dana Andrews)who comes home to a beautiful wife (Virginia Mayo) and with no job skills to speak of, has trouble finding work. The last of the three, a sailor (Harold Russell who won two oscars for this film) who lost both of his hands in the war and is now fitted with hooks in their place. He wants to be treated like a normal person, and while most people have a hard time doing that at first, they eventually come around. The problem lies in his inability to think of himself as normal, believing himself to be some sort of freak, deserving only pity. The stories of the three are interconnected and they have a bond that the civilians can never comprehend. This film could have been preachy but it isn't, although it does get a bit soap-opera-ish at times. The emotions on display here run the gamut and will stir something within the viewer, which is the point of any good drama, isn't it?

The transfer is impeccable for a 1946 film. If you are a fan of good drama, you owe it to yourself to see this film.

------------------
Live Long and Prosper
My Collection
Old 07-13-99, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good review .

This is one of the best looking discs I've ever seen. And the short interviews with Virginia Mayo and Theresa Wright are a real treat. I must admit, though, I've never been able to watch a Wright movie without thinking of her as Charlie from "Shadow of a Doubt" the whole time (great performance).

--Heather

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~ahber16.asp