Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Opinions on "Boogie Nights" or other sexy movie.

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Opinions on "Boogie Nights" or other sexy movie.

Old 06-12-99, 06:40 PM
RJason

I am having trouble finding movies to use the $10 buy.com coupon on. After seeing Austin Powers II today I thought I might check out some other movies with Heather Graham. So, what are your thoughts on Boogie Nights...(or any other movie with stars that make one drool).

Robert Jason
Old 06-12-99, 06:52 PM
videogod

Boogie Nights was a great movie. But the sex scenes didn't make it great. All the acting was usperb. Especially Heather Grahm and William H Macy. The story line is great and there is a scene involving trying to sell sugar as drugs that is funnier than hell.

Heather Graham also stared in two guys and a girl but was overshawdowed by Robert Downy Juniors excellent preformance. Aslo Heather was in lost in space but she blew in that. Any movie with Matt Lablance has it's problems.
Old 06-13-99, 01:11 AM
anglagard

RJason,
I personally thought "Boogie Nights" was
one of the best films of the `90s. Great
acting, rich dialogue, and excellent
direction from Paul Thomas Anderson. The
way the story moves, and his directing
style, reminded me a bit of Scorsese`s
direction of "Goodfellas". And the film
gets better each time you watch it.

And FYI, Heather has a full nude scene in
the film, and a topless scene in the deleted scene section of the disc.
Old 06-13-99, 01:17 AM
jaymart

Must agree about Boogie Nights. Great development with every character. Personally, I thought Don Cheadle and John C. Reilly put in great performances.

------------------
jason
Old 06-13-99, 02:13 PM
Peat

I'll echo the positive comments about the fantastic 'Boogie Nights'. Seems people either love or hate this film, but most seems to love it. A must see, IMO.

Peat.
Old 06-13-99, 08:40 PM
RJason

Thanks everyone, I will buy it as soon as I get the time.

All of your comments are appreciated....

Robert Jason
Old 07-08-99, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Graham also was in the great movie Swingers. She was only in the film for a short time, but she was there. Man, that is a great film.

------------------
"ha, you the one i saw on the news last night ha, you the one been robbin' them dudes out they shoes last night ha"...Juvenille
Old 07-09-99, 03:57 AM

Boogie Nights is definately one of my top 25 movies of all time, but I think that calling it a sexy movie is a definate miscatgorization. It is a movie about the depraved lives of a surrogate family in need. If you want a sexy movie, check out "Sex, Lies, and Videotape" by Steven Soderbergh (again, about depravity, but it is erotic as hell), or "Out of Sight," again by Steven Soderbergh (Truly a steamy movie with a brain, mmmm Jennifer Lopez).
Old 07-09-99, 10:22 AM
SolOK

I have to agree with KDubby about Swingers. It has to be one of my all time favorite movies. It's hilarious. The scene where the guys are sitting around playing video games has me rolling on the floor every time.
Old 07-09-99, 02:46 PM

Yes, Heather Graham is beautiful and talented, although I'm afraid only the beautiful part came out in Shagged. I will disagree that Downey overshadowed her in 2 Girls and A Guy. I thought she matched him and showed a lot of intelligence. This is the example I give to friends who have only seen her in Shagged. As to other memorable performances that have yet to be mentioned, she was also in Drugstore Cowboy and she was Kyle MacLachlan's love interest in the second half of the second season of Twin Peaks. Of course, the only place Twin Peaks has been released on DVD is in my fantasy world, but a guy can dream, can't he? Anyway, the whole set was released on VHS and still occasionally shows up on Bravo.
Old 07-10-99, 02:39 AM

Glen, I agree with you. Graham was georgeous in Austin Powers II, but her acting was shameful. I have ordered Boggie Nights and I'm sure it will be a great movie. As far as pure eye candy I guess I'll stick to Bound.

Robert Jason
Old 07-10-99, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Artisan has confirmed they are DEFINATELY releasing the "Twin Peaks" series on DVD. They say the only question is when, but probably early 2000. THAT will be a great week for us DVDers.
Old 07-10-99, 11:58 AM
classícman

Good movie, yes - great movie, no.
Old 07-10-99, 03:29 PM

Boogie Nights is a well-directed, well-acted movie. Certainly Paul Anderson deserves the praise he has gotten as a (dare I say it?) up and coming director. Check out “Hard Eight” if you want to see some earlier work.

I do have one major complaint about Boogie Nights. The movie spends a lot of time detailing the rise and fall of the characters, but precious little time with what happens to them when they hit rock bottom. There is a tearful reconciliation between Mark Walhberg’s Dirk Diggler and Burt Reynold’s Jack Horner. But you are never really shown in a meaningful way just how these characters were transformed. One moment everyone’s snorting coke and suddenly the Beach Boys are singing “God Only Knows” and everyone is making commercials. Yes, we see the robbery in the donut shop and the beating by the valley homophobes, but these are external events. I think one of the things that Anderson wishes to convey in the movie is how unimaginative and unreflective these characters are. Nevertheless, I wish there were some scenes that conveyed what was going on inside the characters during their long dark night of the soul.

So I give Boogie Nights an “A” as a movie, but a “B minus” as a story.

Old 07-11-99, 10:42 AM
ela

Well, I have to tell you that I hate this movie - I just could'nt get into it. I'm not a purest - just didn't like it.

My DVD is for sale -

Erik
Old 07-11-99, 11:10 AM

I'm surprised no one here has mentined "Wild Things" with Denise Richards and Neve Campbell. I'd put this near the top of my list of sexy movies. True, many people didn't like this potboiler, but if you're looking for eye candy, you'll be treated to it here: Denise is a hot high-school student seducing a teacher. You'll be treated to Denise in a wet t-shirt, Denise in a bathing suit, Denise in a (brief) 3-way sex scene... If you haven't seen it yet, in my opinion, the plot is good, many many twists and turns, and a good young cast (also includes Matt Dillon and Kevin Bacon). Very sexy movie with lots of suspense and twists.