Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Any thoughts on "Starship Troopers"?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Any thoughts on "Starship Troopers"?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-99, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm looking to use some Bigstar coupons...I've read in several publications that Starship Troopers is the best SFX film around. I've heard mixed things on the film itself..."Melrose Space", etc. I'm looking for some opinions on the value of this DVD. Thanks.
Old 07-06-99, 01:34 PM

Are you interested in the film or the dvd quality?

As far as the quality of the dvd is concerned, there are no problems at all. Good picture quality, good sound etc.

As far as the quality of the film is concerned, well what can I say, it sucks. Truly one of the worst movies I have ever seen. And believe me, I have seen some dogs (I was stupid enough to buy Smokey & the Bandit, so I know bad movies). Acting that was absolutely wooden, a plot that was moronic even by sc-fi standards (note: I am not attacking sci-fi, in fact I enjoy it, so please no complaints), and an underlying theme that promotes fascism. Yes fascism.

I originally read a review of this movie in the Washington Post before I ever saw the film. In the review, the writer stated that the movie was fascist in nature. At the time I read that, I thought the guy was completely nuts. Then I saw the film. It made me want to gag.

Bottom line: if you are only concerned with dvd quality, then order away, but if you actually want to like the film then you would be better off buying a copy of the most influential film of the decade............ Armageddon.

[This message has been edited by nayone (edited 07-06-1999).]
Old 07-06-99, 02:12 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Nayone,

I think you missed the point. I'm sleepy and at a loss for words here, but I think you took the movie too seriously.

It's a take on facist films....

It's one of my favorite discs, but I didn't except anything from it other than a sarcastic funny action film. And it has some great action and special effects. Great commentary on the DVD.

I'm sure that someone else can defend this movie better than I.
Old 07-06-99, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
this movie is absoulutely awesome. superb. all men like it and all girls hate it.
Old 07-06-99, 06:04 PM

All I can say is don't trust a reviewer who likes Armageddon!!!
Old 07-06-99, 07:05 PM

I agree with Trevor. If the movie took itself seriously it would be a total waste of time, but it never presents itself more than a mock fascist film. Good action, good sound, Denise Richards (need I say more), nice extra content and excellent effects. Did I mention the nude shower scene? Rent it and decide for yourself.
Old 07-06-99, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Yeah the commentary clearly states the intent of the film. To mock the facist films of the '30's and '40's. In fact, didn't Veerhoven(sp) say he was in Germany at the time of the war? To be honest I found the commentators views to be typical Hollwood liberalism. But that's another story

Anyway, in terms of sheer ass-kicking action it has to be at the top of the list with films like Aliens. Lots of bugs, explosions, and of course the "shower scene" . And the two female leads are just awesome

My only real criticsm would be the love triangle storyline. It's always sad to see guys P-whipped .
Old 07-06-99, 08:22 PM
freud

If you like Robocop, it is in the same style (including a sarcastic and extremist look at aspects of society). Actually, they have the same director, Paul Verhoeven. It is not to be taken very seriously, good action, plenty of gore, great special effects. The story and acting is MUCH better in Robocop, though.
Old 07-06-99, 10:19 PM

I am not going to over analyze this like some of the others. If you like violent films, with mild nudity, and plenty of gore, then you will love this. I have lots of DVD's in my collection and this has to be one of my favorites. I watch movies to be entertained. Yes, I am the typical male also. I like watching things blow up, I like watching guys with big guns run around and shoot things, and I like to be grossed out every once in a while. This disc does all of those things very, very well.

------------------
"ha, you the one i saw on the news last night ha, you the one been robbin' them dudes out they shoes last night ha"...Juvenille
Old 07-06-99, 11:35 PM

Denise Richards! woo-hoo!
Doogie Howser! d'oh!
Killer Bugs! woo-hoo!
Doogie Howser! d'oh!
Naked People! woo-hoo!
Doogie Howser! d'oh!
Spaceships! woo-hoo!

THE WOO-HOO'S HAVE IT!!

-burgeon
Old 07-07-99, 09:29 AM
Banned

I'm sorry. I have to agree with nayone.
Armageddon is the finest piece of American Film created in the last fifty years. It should be shown on public television once a year like the Wizard of Oz and Its a Wonderful Life.

Starship troopers, while appealing, is a watch once a decade film. I like nudity, I like guns, I like to blow things up (firecrackers for you jack booted thugs who are monitoring me), er I mean watch things blow up.

[This message has been edited by DemocratsForever (edited 07-07-1999).]
Old 07-07-99, 10:31 AM
ela

Armageddon? (cough, choke, gag) The best what? You might change your mind once you actually see it.
Starship is hardly in the same class. It's actually a fun and entertaining work if not taken too seriously. It has great sound (5.1) and visuals, a little skin and a lot of spider thingies getting blown up.

Also, why is it Bruce Willis DVD's are $5 more than the norm? Is it because acting for him is so much harder? If you like BW then I would suggest "G.I. Jane". while Bruce isn't in the film, his drop dead good looking wife, Demi Moore is.

Well, enough of my ranting - I'm in a bad mood and thought a good whipping would make me feel better - so go for it ! ! !

(ps - the above is purely my opinion. Which, by the way, is ALWAYS right. My wife said I could say that).
Old 07-07-99, 11:56 AM

ha! Nayone, you say Starship troopers is bad but armageddon is the best movie ever made? Did you spill some coffee on your circuits or something? Seriously, how can you praise one of these two so highly yet bash the other one. I think neither one is all that great but I'd much rather watch starship troopers anytime than armageddon.

------------------
-anywayz, My DVDs

Old 07-07-99, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
starship troopers destroys armageddon any day, peroid. criterion edition? give me a break!
Old 07-07-99, 12:24 PM

Haven't seen the DVD, but the movie, while perhaps a bit longer than it needs to be, is clearly a satire. I assume that some of this is discussed in the commentary, but it's a satire on WWII propaganda films, thus the wooden acting(who knows if the actors knew this, but Verhoeven got what he wanted). As to the fascist comments, it's a commentary on the inherent irony of using fascist tactics when fighting a war against fascism.
Oh yeah, and the big bugs look really cool.
Old 07-08-99, 12:50 PM

Thanks for all your input guys, I just ordered it from Bigstar. I'll post my personal review of it when I watch it. At least I'm going in with the knowledge that it's a mock fascist film so my first viewing will be from the proper perspective. Appreciate the input.
Old 07-08-99, 01:18 PM

I really must have missed the boat on this one. It didn't help me any that I read that Washington Post review prior to seeing the movie. I guess it biased me without my even being aware of it.
Old 07-08-99, 05:56 PM

Both Starship Troopers and Armageddon are great films in my opinion. Lots of stuff blows up, pretty girls, plenty of death and destruction, and NO GWENETH PALTROW. Enough said.

------------------
"ha, you the one i saw on the news last night ha, you the one been robbin' them dudes out they shoes last night ha"...Juvenille
Old 07-10-99, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I strongly believe "Starship Troopers" is destined for cult classic status years from now. Sometimes it takes a movie decades before it`s truly appreciated.
Old 07-10-99, 05:03 AM

The book is already a cult classic, written in the late 50's by Robert A. Heinlein at the height of post-WWII Communist paranoia. His target audience were mainly young males at the time, and his political views were never meant to be taken seriously. They were merely imaginative proposals on what an ideal government, according to Heinlein, could possibly be like.
Old 07-10-99, 07:05 AM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Duke,

I think they were more intended to get the reader thinking and (as always with Heinlein) to entertain.

------------------
-David

Old 01-19-04, 09:20 AM

Its great!
Old 01-19-04, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

whoah, talk about ressurecting old posts. this one's almost 5 years old. bigstar, R.I.P.
Old 01-19-04, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Holy crap. This thread is from three years before I even registered here.
Old 01-20-04, 07:06 AM

Starship Troopers is wonderful eye candy with deeper meanings if you want to bother digging for them. It has probably the best cinematography of any Sci Fi movie ever made. I truly enjoyed this movie when I saw it in the theatre and I may eventually buy the DVD.

At least I wasn't the one who revived the thread.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.