Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Reviews Wanted: "Dragonheart" and "Dante's Peak"

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Reviews Wanted: "Dragonheart" and "Dante's Peak"

Old 06-16-99, 07:20 PM
fantasia

I'm generally pleased with the other two Universal Collector's series DVDs that I have ("The Thing" and "Apollo 13"), and was wondering what everyone thought of these other two: "Dragonheart" and "Dante's Peak".
Are they worth the extra money? I haven't seen either of these movies yet...

P.S. - I'm talking about the DD versions, *NOT* the DTS ones.
Old 06-16-99, 07:42 PM
Filmmaker

In a word...fabulous! Absolutely incredible! Both feature exquisite transfers and crisp, powerful sound. DRAGONHEART's "Making of" documentary is long, detailed, and thoroughly enjoyable. Same with the director's commentary, which is filled with useful annecdotes from director Rob Cohen. It also contains cool production photos, design sketches, model work, 2 deleted scenes (very cool!), the teaser, the trailer, and five TV spots! DANTE'S PEAK is a kick-ass treat, with an equally interesting "Making of" documentary, computer effects designs, production photos, director's commentary, the trailer (and, boy, is it loud!) A couple of above-and-beyond bonuses on this title is the complete shooting script and the full-length isolated score! DRAGONHEART and DANTE'S PEAK are great, and welcome, additions to my DVD library, as are most Universal Collector's Editions (let's not talk about SCARFACE, shall we?)

[This message has been edited by Filmmaker (edited 06-16-1999).]
Old 06-16-99, 07:45 PM
ottofunk9

Add Dante's peak to my list of worst movies ever made. What a piece of SH*T.

A few other selections from my S*IT LIST
and a few others that my mind is selectively blocking.
Old 06-17-99, 01:10 AM
The Zizz

I gotta agree that Dante's Peak isn't cinemtaic brilliance. I've only seen about half of this movie on HBO, but it is bad. Pierce Brosnan is really boring, and Linda Hamilton is just not good. The movie (at least what I saw of it) is thoroughly uninteresting, and unexciting. This is one of the few special editions at my local blockbuster that I haven't rented yet, because I just have no desire to see the movie. If you want a good Universal CE, check out 12 Monkeys.
Old 06-17-99, 08:56 AM
polarbear

I have Dragonheart, and have to say it is one of the best discs that I own. I found all the extras to be a real treat, and the "Making of" very well done. I also would recommend 12 Monkeys, or Out of Sight, both super Collector's Editions.
Old 06-17-99, 04:13 PM
sonic

fantasia (i love your name! by the way i'm married and i'm not gay!)fantasia (cool!)i am surprised that you dont own dragonheart! what's keeping you up? GET IT!!! you wont be disappointed!
Old 06-18-99, 03:32 AM
sinned

I agree with Filmmaker, both these discs are worthy additions to your collection and are worth the price premium. I was surprised to see how many movie posters Dante's Peak had during the movie's promotion..... you have to see to believe!
Old 06-19-99, 06:55 PM
darkknight

dragonheart is a must have, plus it's anamorphic...loved the dragon scenes.
Old 06-20-99, 09:47 AM
Stuart952

I can't comment on the DVDs but both of these movies were pretty terrible. Boring stories and lifeless performances. I would recommend watching on cable before you commit to a purchase. Seems like Dante's Peak is on STARZ! a couple times a month.