Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Need experienced opinions/reviews on which DVD player to buy

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Need experienced opinions/reviews on which DVD player to buy

Old 06-05-99, 01:10 PM
Scott Neal

I've been watching DVD movies on my computer for the past year, so it's time to move on.

I'm not looking for a top of the line player at the moment, maybe in a year or two. I read about the glitches that are in some of the players (toshiba etc). Just wanted to know what the forum members think is the best bargain/performance for the money.

Thanks
Scott Neal
Old 06-10-99, 01:06 PM
flinx

You'll find tons of people who will flame me for this, but my lil' first generation RCA has worked flawlessly with NO glitches. I have about 60 movies and use the fibre for DD 5.1.
Old 06-10-99, 03:21 PM
Blade

Scott,

I can reccomend the new Toshibas (2109, 3109). It seems like the problems were all with the earlier generation Toshibas and they did provide fixes for those problems.

However, I've found out recently that people who have had their old players fixed get a fixed player back, but not necessarily their player.

I've also heard very few bad things about the Panasonic A120.

Also, I've seen a Sharp (?) player at Price/Costco for about $270. Don't know if it's any good, but pretty cheap.

You also might want to go to www.audioreview.com and check out their player reviews (I believe they're under the Home Theater section of the Product Reviews).

Welcome aboard and good luck.
-David
Old 06-11-99, 02:55 AM
Frank S

I have a Panasonic DVDA-120U DVD player and it has been flawless for me since buying it 5 months ago. Has a lot of good features and costs only $300.00. The only thing to beware of is that you get the DVD-A120U not the model without the U on the end as the model without the U (older version) had some problems with pixilization. I hear eveyone talking about this DVD or that DVD not playing correctly in their player and I have had no problem what-so-ever. I've played 60+ DVD's and still never a problem. Knock Wood of course!
Old 06-12-99, 06:39 PM
videogod

I'd have to put a vote in for Phillips Magnovox. I originall owned one and loved it. A bonehead at Best Buy told me I could get the 5 free DVD's with a open box Item. Well I found out two months later that I couldn't So I returned my player and got a Toshiba that works good but the setup is just not as good. I wanted the phillips magnovox but they didn't have any left.
Old 06-13-99, 11:41 PM
JohnnyArcade

I will also chime in on my Panasonic DVDA-120U. I LOVE this machine. None of the glitches I've seen so often on my friend's K-Mart level RCA player (not to knock it because of this, I just don't remember the model number). The setup of the remote is great, the "display" feature is great. Has 2 sets of component video outs. And to top it off, if you look hard enough, you can find it for $270 now.