DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Babe: Pig In The City

Old 06-09-99, 03:21 AM
The Zizz

I really didn't want to see this movie, but I went to Blockbuster with someone who really loved the first, and they made me rent it. What the hell, Siskel and Ebert both gave it 4 stars, and Siskel called it the best movie of the year.
I usually can't stand kids movies, they seem so false and cheesy. But to my surprise, I really, really enjoyed Babe PITC. Its pretty funny, has great characters, and is visually amazing. It's a good disc as well, with both the widescreen and P&S versions, 2 theatrical trailers for Babe 2, and a preview for Babe 1 (which for some reason is widescreen when the dvd is P&S), cast bios, and production notes. The picture and sound on the dvd are outstanding.
Interestingly, though I disliked the first, I liked the second. Most people that I know that liked the first didn't like the 2nd. By the way, though this is supposed to be a kids movie, I don't know if many kids will actually like it--some of the scenes might disturb/scare them a bit. Still, I thought this was a really good movie, worth a rent if nothing else at the video store strikes your fancy.

Old 06-13-99, 02:12 AM
kurtzp

Zizz -- I totally agree. With some of the negative comments out there I started this movie (Netflix rental) with the expectation that it would be only so so. I really enjoyed it and now will probably purchase it. Aren't the visuals fantastic? The direction and editing are also superb.

Peter

Old 09-18-03, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Reviving long dead thread. Any more opinions/review of Babe 2: Pig In the City? I'm definitely getting the Babe Special Edition and was considering picking this up as well.
Old 09-18-03, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
I liked them both and I thought the second was even better than the first.