Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Criterion Reviews Wanted: Tokyo Drifter, Branded to Kill, Wages of Fear

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Criterion Reviews Wanted: Tokyo Drifter, Branded to Kill, Wages of Fear

Old 04-20-99, 03:41 AM
Ed Sabol

The descriptions for these three Criterion Collection DVDs have me very intrigued. I'm especially interested in the first two, Tokyo Drifter and Branded to Kill. But before I go off and order these sight unseen from Reel.com, I would appreciate some comments from people who have seen these films or DVDs. How good are these movies really? (FYI, I am a big fan of foreign films and own a bunch of Criterion Collection DVDs already.)
Old 04-25-99, 02:38 AM
Ed Sabol

Doesn't anybody have these DVDs? I'd appreciate comments from anyone who has even seen these movies as well.
Old 04-25-99, 04:18 AM
Blade

Ed,

I haven't seen these movies but in this thread http://www.dvdtalk.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000619.html haibachi says he owns Tokyo Drifter and Branded to Kill.

He may not frequent the Review page, so you might want to try posting to that message or emailing him.

Good luck,

-David
Old 04-25-99, 09:21 AM
Siringo

I've got a VHS of "Tokyo Drifter" and I must say it's one of the most unusual films I've seen. A fairly complicated yakuza plot is accompanied by a striking visual style that features odd, bright colors and strange sets. One action scene takes place in western saloon for no obvious reason. Also this is kind of a musical, too. As the Tokyo drifter character goes from place to place, he sings a little theme song!(Which you will probably be humming by the end of the film). I'd highly recommend this film if you are adventurous. Haven't seen "Branded to Kill" but plan to buy the dvd soon. "Wages of Fear" I saw about 10 years ago. A masterpiece of gritty realism and suspense, also highly recommended.