DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Reviews and Recommendations (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations-8/)
-   -   Bronx Tale - Great movie!!! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations/68543-bronx-tale-great-movie.html)

tomwarnock 04-11-99 03:25 PM

A Bronx Tale is a unique look at the Mafia and growing up in the Bronx. It is a semi-autobiographical story by Chazz Palminteri, who also wrote the screen play and stars in the movie as "Sonny" the neighborhood mob boss. This is also the debut of Robert De Niro as a Director. Believe me both actors do a wonderful job.
The running storyline of the movie is seen through the eyes of a 9 year old growing up in the Bronx, down the street from a bar ran by Sonny. The story continues through a 8 year period, watching young "Calogero" grow up with the help of his father (DeNiro), and Sonny (Palminteri)often times at odds against each other.
This movie is a great voyage through the 60's with a soundtrack to match!! The DVD is 16X9 Anamorphic with a Dolby 5.1 sound. Extras are minimal, but the movie is FANTASTIC.

Great Quote:
Sonny: What's your name, kid?
Calogero: Calogero.
Sonny: That's a long name. Don't you have a nickname?
Calogero: No.
Sonny: What do your friends call you?
Calogero: Calogero.
Sonny: That makes sense.

jasonbird 04-11-99 09:22 PM

tomwarnock,
I just saw A Bronx Tale this last week
and loved it. I think the casting was
wonderful. I was surprised at how little
Deniro was in this, however at the same time,
he was very effective. Good movie. I
reccomend a buy if you like mafia/type movies
and a rent otherwise
Jason

Rugger 04-13-99 03:48 AM

I got an even better quote from the movie;
Sonny has five fingers. but he only uses three. AWSOME MOVIE!

Devon 04-13-99 01:23 PM

Ditto... great, great flick

It has the edge and humour of a Goodfellas, but it also has deep characters and a coming-of-age message.

On of my top 10 favorites....

felcher 10-24-04 06:10 PM

bought this new @ 4.50. during a 4 for 18.00 kmart deal. i think this is a piece of entertainment to compliment all dvd shelves. can be had for 4.99 everywhere.

SFranke 10-24-04 09:34 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tomwarnock
The DVD is 16X9 Anamorphic with a Dolby 5.1 sound. Extras are minimal, but the movie is FANTASTIC.

Are you sure Bronx Tale is anamorphic? I've been holding off on buying it because I thought it wasn't 16:9 enhanced.

tommy28 10-25-04 04:51 AM

for it`s price,

buy it.....

Dr Octagon 10-25-04 01:13 PM

Always liked this as well. Very underrated

Nick Danger 10-27-04 10:19 AM

Five years and six months. Is this the record for oldest thread resurrected?

MasterCXtreme 10-27-04 05:17 PM

Originally posted by Nick Danger
Five years and six months. Is this the record for oldest thread resurrected?
Wow.
I was wondering why everybody was a guest...

I agree, great movie.