Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"The Asphyx" Reviews/Discussion - 2023 Horror Challenge

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-24-23, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

The Asphyx (1972)

Selected by tarfrimmer

Additional Posters:
Spoiler:

IMDB ENTRY

KANOPY

THE COMPLETE STREAMING GUIDE INCLUDING AD-SUPPORTED SERVICES

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2023 DISCUSSION | 2023 LISTS
Old 10-07-23, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,145 Likes on 699 Posts
Re: "The Asphyx" Reviews/Discussion - 2023 Horror Challenge

This was pretty enjoyable. I had fun watching it late tonight as it reminded me of the kind of movies I would see on Elvira's Movie Macabre that I viewed religiously every Friday night as a kid.

While being enjoyable, it was also quite predictable. I knew as soon as Hugo said he wanted to immortalize his daughter and her fiancÚ that she was dead meat.

I also enjoyed the "science" behind the asphyx and the creepy puppet. But there are definitely a few times where you just have to say...what the fuck? Like not thinking how to work the light cabinet when Hugo decides to electrocute himself. Or hey...let's decide to use a guillotine to trap the daughter's asphyx. That can't go wrong at all. Something that can literally kills you in a split second while all the other deaths were gradual.

And let's talk about the poor choice of the word "asphyx." It is not a real word and I assume they pulled it from asphyxiation. But dammit if my mature 50-year-old self didn't giggle, titter or guffaw every time a character in the movie discussed their "ass fix." Sorry...I am still an immature 12-year-old goober sometimes.

Anyway, this was fun and held my interest despite a few issues. My rating: *** out of *****
Old 10-07-23, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,145 Likes on 699 Posts

I other thing that I thought about that I liked, was that the guy attaining immortality didn't stop his aging. And he looked like a melted candle in modern times.

Rough life.
Old 10-07-23, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 836 Likes on 704 Posts

Fun movie for its period. The Blu-ray often looks beautiful. Recommended if you enjoy more stately horror in the British tradition.
The following users liked this post:
jholmes (10-09-23)
Old 10-08-23, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 187 Likes on 129 Posts

I have fond memories of "discovering" this movie when I was a kid. It must have been in the late 70s, when horror movies would show Saturday afternoons and late night. No internet, no onscreen guide. I had to go by TV Guide or the local newspapers tv section. I remember seeing for The Asphyx a really vague description ... something like "A photographer tries to get evidence of the spirit of death". The opening credits music wasn't encouraging. But even though it didn't have them, it had the feel of classic movies I loved with stars like Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee, and Vincent Price. And by the time we got to the creepy screaming death puppets I was hooked!

I still enjoyed it, though there are holes to poke in the plot if you look hard enough. I love the EC comics-style twist at the end. So is he just destined to be living in a corpse-like body for all eternity (or until whenever that old vault is destroyed or has the water cut off)? *shudder*

And let's not forget the true villain of the movie:
Spoiler:

Isn't the fact that the guy was all withered looking, but the guinea pig looked just like it did at the beginning, rather suspicious?

WillieMLF (10-12-23)
Old 10-08-23, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I other thing that I thought about that I liked, was that the guy attaining immortality didn't stop his aging. And he looked like a melted candle in modern times.

Rough life.
I'm guessing the writers were inspired by the myth of Tithonus, a handsome young lad who was beloved by Eos, the goddess of dawn. She asked Zeus to make him immortal, but forgot to ask for eternal youth, so Tithonus aged and withered until Zeus turned him into a grasshopper. It's a terrific movie and that ending is so disturbing. The idea of being condemned to live forever as a decaying husk is horrifying.
Spiderbite (10-08-23)
Old 10-08-23, 02:57 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Scientists claim they are able to photograph the soul the moment it departs the body. Although most of the story takes place in one or two rooms this is a compelling tale of science attempting to foil death.
7/10
Old 10-08-23, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

I love The Asphyx. The premise is chilling and mirrors a lot of general ideas about death to a point is never feels too far out. Given the concept and era of the movie there are a surprisng near slash movie number of deaths, which fit the theme. I think that first lake deaths are surprisingly unconvincing - people just sink in without bubbles, splash, or others cues but the relatively tame nature of the deaths helpa the tone a lot. Its never especially lurid and that helps it creep in.
Old 10-08-23, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 756 Likes on 492 Posts

As the movie started, my first thought was this is feeling like it's going to be one of those really stuffy British films, but I got into it pretty quickly. As already mentioned, there were some silly moments, but it was an enjoyable watch. I can't believe they thought for a second that guillotine plan was a good one. The asphyx creature itself was neat, though the noises it made seemed to bother my dog. I did like the aging at the end. His daughter did warn that we weren't intended to live forever. That damn guinea pig, though. Who knew it was going to have such a prominent role in the movie?
WillieMLF (10-12-23)
Old 10-09-23, 12:26 AM

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts

I watched this several years ago and enjoyed it, but I didn't remember a lot of the details. I enjoyed it this time as well. I'm an Anglophile so I love the British manor setting and sensibility. I also find the concept fresh. So many horror movies as based on familiar tropes, but I don't' think I've seen this concept before. The idea of capturing someone on camera at the moment of death is intriguing. It's a bit of a stretch to suggest everyone has their own personal "death angel", even guinea pigs. But they needed that for the plot to work, so I'll go with it. I thought the ending was terrific.
Old 10-12-23, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 785 Likes on 378 Posts

I also watched this last night, first time viewing, and it kept my interest throughout. I admit that I forgot about the opening segment in more modern times until it is revisited in the ending. What a horrible way to live forever. I did think it was silly that once they come up with a method to trap the asphyx, they then have to come up with a new method for each additional person that they want to immortalize. It's like, you found something that works, why not just do that again? I realize that the different methods are more interesting from a cinematic standpoint though, so I can forgive that, but really, who thought the guillotine was a good idea?

I also found it curious that the son in law apparently committed suicide on purpose, but if that's the case, why even bother setting up the elaborate death trap? If he just say, shot himself or poisoned himself, etc, would it not have been the same effect?

Also, I kind of wonder what was actually written on the paper that he gave to the father-in-law before he blowed himself up, since it seems obvious that he intended to damn him to eternal life alone. I don't believe that it was the combination. It would have been funny if he opened it up, and it said "Fuck you, old man" or something like that , but then he just throws it in the fire without even looking at it.

Anyway despite all of the obvious plot holes, it was fun watch.
The following 2 users liked this post by Obi-Wanma:
Spiderbite (10-12-23), WillieMLF (10-12-23)
Old 10-12-23, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

What can I say about The Asphyx that already hasn't been said? I really love this movie and the Kino blu is among my most cherished. This guy has got to be one of the worst fathers on the planet. 'Only imminent death will summon the Asphyx, therefore I will put my daughter in a guillotine. What can go wrong?' That is one of the most puzzling decisions to me. It makes for a grotesque failure.
Gobear (10-15-23)