Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Out of the Dark" Reviews/Discussion - 2020 Horror Challenge

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-29-20, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Out of the Dark (1995)

Selected by alyxstarr

Additional Posters:
Spoiler:

IMDB ENTRY

Amazon Amazon
PRIME

ALYXSTARR LINK

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2020 DISCUSSION | 2020 LISTS

Old 10-14-20, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts
Re: "Out of the Dark" Reviews/Discussion - 2020 Horror Challenge

This is one crazy movie with some really funny bits interspersed with some that don’t make any sense at all. I would have skipped this one, but The Professional poster sold me on it, and I had a bit of fun with it.

That guy who kept on getting stabbed while the cop was trying to get him to the hospital was one of the funniest things I've seen all week.

Last edited by WillieMLF; 10-14-20 at 05:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Trevor (10-15-20)
Old 10-15-20, 08:42 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts

^ Yes, that scene has had me laugh out loud three times already. Once watching it, again describing it to my wife, and a third time just now when you mentioned it.

This film was a ton of fun. Something I probably never would have seen if it wasn’t for this subset, so big thanks to alyxstarr!
Old 10-16-20, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Out of the Dark has a great visual style with some decent camera work but needs more structure to hang on. It’s fast paced and was a nice more casual ‘break’ film (refreshingly less dark/mean) with humor often so dumb but occasionally laugh out loud. The dope head was often darkly funny suffering injury after injury. Out of the Dark is really committed to parody of The Professional; I originally though they might have some casual reference but they really go all in with the male outfit, the girl, the plant, the phone scene, etc. Wow, is The Professional is really an old film now - it makes me wonder what other elements in Out of the Dark might be dated now and I might have overlooked or missed due to cultural differences. The teeth may be one, maybe they’re just part of the film’s kinetic silly style but I sense there’s more reference to the dentures. The slapstick fantasy comedy was fun but so hit and miss - when it was bad it was really bad.

I remember seeing Out of the Dark before and think I enjoyed it more the first time. [Operation Pink Squad 2 was better, I didn't get the connection - thanks coyoteblue]

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-17-20 at 09:54 AM.
Old 10-16-20, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts

It's been a while since I've watched Out of the Dark (1995) and I had forgotten that it's a remake of Operation Pink Squad 2 (1989) re-written for Stephen Chow's sensibilities. It's not a one-to-one remake, but they definitely share the same bones and connective tissue. Both movies were directed/written by Jeff Lau. Both have plenty of silliness, though Chow's probably has the edge, brimming with his brand of silliness. Both are fine HK horror comedies.
Old 10-16-20, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 811 Likes on 538 Posts

Man I hated this. I’m glad people had fun with it, but it just wasn’t for me.
Old 10-16-20, 11:34 PM

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts

Totally silly film but, I have to admit, I laughed a lot. I agree about the guy getting stabbed (and shot), and the wife on the roof was hilarious as well. Thanks for the subset pick.
Old 10-17-20, 10:23 AM

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Didn't like this one at all. It was too all over the place and silly for me. I didn't find it funny, but I guess it's just not my type of humor.
Old 10-17-20, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddarino
Man I hated this. I’m glad people had fun with it, but it just wasn’t for me.
Originally Posted by Bladz
Didn't like this one at all. It was too all over the place and silly for me. I didn't find it funny, but I guess it's just not my type of humor.
If you haven't watched any HK horror comedies or Chow comedies before, this was the deep end of the pool. If you do want to take a another shot at horror comedies try Encounter of the Spooky Kind (1980) aka Spooky Encounters with Sammo Hung and/or Mr. Vampire (1985). If neither of those appeal then just move on.
The following 3 users liked this post by coyoteblue:
Bladz (10-18-20), SterlingBen (10-17-20), Undeadcow (10-17-20)
Old 10-17-20, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
If you haven't watched any HK horror comedies or Chow comedies before, this was the deep end of the pool. If you do want to take a another shot at horror comedies try Encounter of the Spooky Kind (1980) aka Spooky Encounters with Sammo Hung and/or Mr. Vampire (1985). If neither of those appeal then just move on.
Thank you, I liked this movie and came to see if anyone was talking about similar titles. Adding all of those to my 'to purchase' list.
Old 10-19-20, 06:28 AM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

I have no idea what i just watched