Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"The Bird with the Crystal Plumage" Reviews/Discussion - 2020 Horror Challenge

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-29-20, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

The Bird with the Crystal Plumage (1970)

Selected by alyxstarr

Additional Posters:
Spoiler:

IMDB ENTRY

TUBI

ALYXSTARR LINK

ALYXSTARR LINK - English Dub

ALYXSTARR LINK - Commentary by authors Alan Jones and Kim Newman

ALYXSTARR LINK - Commentary by author Troy Howarth

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2020 DISCUSSION | 2020 LISTS

Old 10-13-20, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: "The Bird with the Crystal Plumage" Reviews/Discussion - 2020 Horror Challenge

I enjoyed Bird With a Crystal Plumage. It'd been long enough since I'd seen it last I forgot many of the twists. The stylized murder mystery often keeps your guessing and the villain is someone so unusual.

Did I miss an explaination of why the man in the yellow jacket was shooting at our hero? [A hired hit man? I see, thanks WillieMLF below]

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-15-20 at 05:05 PM.
Old 10-15-20, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts
Re: "The Bird with the Crystal Plumage" Reviews/Discussion - 2020 Horror Challenge

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
I enjoyed Bird With a Crystal Plumage. It'd been long enough since I'd seen it last I forgot many of the twists. The stylized murder mystery often keeps your guessing and the villain is someone so unusual.

Did I miss an explaination of why the man in the yellow jacket was shooting at our hero?
The guy is talking to the cops, and he rationalizes that he is getting closer to the murderer, as there is an assassin after him.
The following users liked this post:
Undeadcow (10-15-20)
Old 10-16-20, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 811 Likes on 538 Posts

While I liked this more than Deep Red (except for that Goblin score), it just didn’t move along quick enough for me.
Old 10-17-20, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 183 Likes on 127 Posts

Did I miss an explaination of why the man in the yellow jacket was shooting at our hero?
Because the movie was starting to drag.
The following 2 users liked this post by DaveyJoe:
Undeadcow (10-17-20), WillieMLF (10-20-20)
Old 10-17-20, 10:24 PM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Agreed. It was great to revisit this one. There's a nice style to it, and it moves quickly. I enjoyed it a lot and there's a sense that you have no idea how it's going to resolve in the end..

Old 10-20-20, 09:00 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts

This one feels less dated than many similar giallos. Almost looked like it could have been current.