Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Black Christmas" Reviews/Discussion - 2020 Horror Challenge

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-29-20, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Black Christmas (1974)

Selected by Shack

Additional Posters:
Spoiler:

IMDB ENTRY

SHUDDER

TUBI

ALYXSTARR LINK

ALYXSTARR LINK - Commentary by director Bob Clark

ALYXSTARR LINK - Commentary by actors John Saxon and Keir Dullea

ALYXSTARR LINK - Commentary by Nick Mancuso, in character as "Billy"

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2020 DISCUSSION | 2020 LISTS

Old 10-05-20, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts
Re: "Black Christmas" Reviews/Discussion - 2020 Horror Challenge

I'm a big fan of this film. I think it holds up quite well against the more well known behemoth of Halloween. That being said, Bob Clark's audio commentary doesn't hold up so well against a John Carpenter audio commentary. I wouldn't waste your time with it. I haven't listened to either of the other commentaries on the Scream Factory disc.
Old 10-09-20, 12:15 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts

He has a few interesting things to say, but yeah, not one of the must-listen commentaries.
Old 10-14-20, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 811 Likes on 538 Posts

This is usually a Christmastime watch for me so I’ve seen it many times. It really doesn’t get the respect it deserves. I watched the first remake when it came out, I remember hating it. I have zero interest in watching the second one.
Old 10-14-20, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Black Christmas is a great film with it's use of killer point of view perspective and the irony of everyone looking for a dead body that's in the attic - the sense of invisibility at what would seem to be the most visible time of the year with it's Christmas lights and togetherness (which is a great theme contrast). I love how they never really explain the killer or his motives and logical attempts to puzzle out what is going on leads to some convincing plot twists (like the murdered boyfriend). What a great twisted ambiguous ending. What we do get from/about the killer (the Billy/Agnes stuff) is all the more mysterious - his obscene calls do not play around. I feel like we've seen obscene call films before especailly with 'the call is coming from inside the house' but Black Christmas masters the art. The style of Black Christmas really elevates what might otherwise seem routine. I really liked the scene at the park where everyone screams and it's revealed they found a dead child, but focus so much more on the reactions never really emphasizing a body.

Because of this challenge's accursed checklist requires watching a remake back to back I subjected myself to both remakes. It's funny how they each have an iconic show curtain style suffocation kill but totally botch other seemingly more important elements. Black Christmas (2006) which was no good - the killer is laboriously explained (down to groan worthy trashy Billy / Agnes flashbacks), implausibly eccentric, and yellow skinned (?). Remake 2006 is more mean spirited than tense (I do like the cookie scene though). Going to also re-watch last year's version next... because I hope to never watch all three films together again given the epic heights of the original and failures of the remakes. The 2019 version is smart playing on social issues but stretches too much to be a metaphor - it's a good conversation but seems dogged and distrated by message although I do like the too little too late finale.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-14-20 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-14-20, 04:32 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

A masterpiece of horror. The number 1 slasher film of all time. Creepy, claustrophobic with superb kills. I enjoy every watch. 10/10
Old 10-14-20, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 183 Likes on 127 Posts

This movie still scares me.
Old 10-15-20, 11:12 AM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

This is a great movie, and when I proposed it I couldn't believe it hadn't appeared on the subset before. Truly spooky, with strong performances. I forget that "the call is coming from inside the house" didn't originate with When A Stranger Calls. As noted before the plot of everyone looking for someone who's dead in the attic is well done.

I watched with the commentary by John Saxon (of course) and Keir Dullea. It's low-key in parts but recommended (Memorable remark from Saxon: "I don't have to explain what fellatio is, do it?"). This year's Challenge was a good excuse to spring for the Scream Factory Collector's Edition. I look forward to investigating all the special features on the second disc.

Last edited by Shack; 10-15-20 at 11:33 AM.
Old 10-15-20, 12:50 PM

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts

I'm with Shack -- this is my #1 slasher. I think because it's so atmospheric and spooky, but not at gory as some, which suits my whimpy ass. I also love, love the Christmas setting. I paid more attention to John Saxton this time around, which was rewarding. Always a pleasure to see this again.
Old 10-15-20, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

I thought I had seen the original version, but I was wrong. Watching this, I was amazed how good this movie really is. A few months ago, I watched the 2019 remake, and I'm glad I can forget ever having seen it. I hated it more than anything I've seen recently. I was really surprised the original didn't bother to tidy up the ending with a nice little bow. I loved most everything about this movie, from the boozing housemother, to the completely inept cop at the front desk. I've often wondered if tracing a telephone call is as laborious as indicated. My wife kept screaming, 'Check in the attic!', but alas they didn't.
Old 10-15-20, 02:30 PM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Apropos of very little: I always think of Keir Dullea as quite young in this one because of the plot and his character, and his role in 2001: A Space Odyssey as later in his career. Interesting to remember that it's the reverse order, with 2001 several years before this one.
Old 10-16-20, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 167 Likes on 118 Posts

The jarring piano chord was ominous and effective and scenes like carolers outside juxtaposed with murder in the house were well done.