Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Eaten Alive" Reviews/Discussion - 2020 Horror Challenge

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-29-20, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Eaten Alive (1976)

Selected by Toddarino

Additional Posters:
Spoiler:

IMDB ENTRY

Amazon Amazon
PRIME

TUBI

ALYXSTARR LINK

ALYXSTARR LINK - Commentary by Mardi Rustam, Roberta Collins, William Finlay, Kyle Richards, & Craig Reardon

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2020 DISCUSSION | 2020 LISTS

Old 10-10-20, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: "Eaten Alive" Reviews/Discussion - 2020 Horror Challenge

Why is everyone wearing ridiculous wigs?

Tobe Hooper's corny humor is often a miss in my opinion but at it's kinetic best in films like Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 where it distorts most bizzare depraved antics or has an actor with chops like Bill Mosley to ham it up. This is no TCM 2. There's some potential in the premise - not enough horror movies are set in the gritty swamp, scythes are atmospheric and cool weapons we don't see enough of. I feel like hiding somewhere in the mix is an compelling film. The colored lighting is a nice touch and I love the kid hiding under the house where no one can reach subplot. The strange prostitution subplot with underage hookers and bizzare looking madams seems odd but I guess intended to suggest Judd is sexually frustrated, the original incel, but he's not over the top enough to benefit from the Hooper mania of the script.

I watched The Alien Dead immediately after this (also set in a swamp with alligators) and that one hooked me in more.
Old 10-10-20, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

This was a first viewing for me and although I enjoyed a lot of it, such as the aforementioned kid under the porch and swamp setting, what drove me crazy was the sound and score. I know it was likely intentional to build tension but it was just too much near the end and made me almost want to watch it with the sound off. Hooper can definitely get women to scream though! Wow! The women were all gorgeous though, and we got to see a LOT of each of them, and they didn't make stupid decisions like in a lot of other films. ALL the men seemed irritating to me though and the sheriff out acted the rest of the cast by far, almost to the point that he didn't fit in this movie. I suppose it would be rewatchable enough, especially after some remastering so everything wasn't so dark.
Old 10-10-20, 04:00 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

A toby hooper classic because of Neville Brand's portrayal of crazy Judd and his pet Alligator.

7.5/10
Old 10-10-20, 06:12 PM

Received 811 Likes on 538 Posts

I really enjoy this movie. I always felt the atmosphere and characters Hooper develops in this movie and the ones that preceded it and followed it (TCM & the Funhouse) is what Rob Zombie has been attempting his whole career. Albeit to a much poorer extent and with much less talent.
In this he managed to make a film with so few likeable characters and still make it enjoyable to watch. I just root for the croc to wipe em all out.
Old 10-10-20, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

I've seen this one several times before. I always have a lot of fun with it. It's kind of a pastiche of a lot of other films and genres. There's certainly a healthy amount of Texas Chainsaw along with southern Gothic melodrama, Psycho, some comedy, and creature feature.

It's fun to see Hooper amp up the gore. It's kind of like he decided if people were going to criticize TCM for all the blood and gore that wasn't really there, he might as well bring it this time.

Robert Englund gives an appropriately sleazy performance that led to a great shout out in Kill Bill Vol. 1.
Old 10-10-20, 11:17 PM

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts

I didn't love this. Felt very cheap with just a few sets and odd red and blue lighting. Production and acting sub-par. Maybe I just wasn't in a B-movie mood. Glad others enjoyed it!
Old 10-11-20, 10:04 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts

0/10
Old 10-11-20, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 167 Likes on 118 Posts

I found myself asking questions like why did Faye wear a wig? Is the Starlight Hotel haunted with Judd a homicidal maniac and Roy acting weird? Was there supposed to be a connection between the girl's leg brace and Judd's false leg? Did Carolyn Jones need the money that bad? Does the crocodile ever get full? Did the monkey die to get off of the film?
Old 10-11-20, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 183 Likes on 127 Posts

I've seen the film several times but this is the first time I realized that the little girl is the same actress that played Lindsey in Halloween!
Old 10-11-20, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
I've seen the film several times but this is the first time I realized that the little girl is the same actress that played Lindsey in Halloween!
Shes also in Watcher In The Woods which I watched a few days ago. That’ll make four films of hers I’ll watch during the challenge after the Car and Halloween.
Old 10-11-20, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Toddarino
Shes also in Watcher In The Woods which I watched a few days ago. That’ll make four films of hers I’ll watch during the challenge after the Car and Halloween.
How was that? I've only seen The Incubus from that director, but I liked it.
Old 10-11-20, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
How was that? I've only seen The Incubus from that director, but I liked it.
For a Disney “horror” film, it was enjoyable. The end was a little hokey, but worth watching. I’m interested in the Incubus now. I see there’s a Vinegar Syndrome release of it.
The following users liked this post:
DaveyJoe (10-11-20)
Old 10-11-20, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Toddarino
For a Disney “horror” film, it was enjoyable. The end was a little hokey, but worth watching. I’m interested in the Incubus now. I see there’s a Vinegar Syndrome release of it.
You can pick it up at 50% off during their Black Friday sale. It's definitely worth checking out, quite an effective horror film. I'm surprised it's not talked about more.
Old 10-13-20, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

I’ve tried to tackle this review a few times already, and I won’t deny having a hard time watching Eaten Alive. It was overly dark and the red and blue overtones didn’t help things much. I felt Englund was the real highlight here. I would have loved more alligator, but I’m sure money was an issue. The Arrow disk had loads of extras, which I’m excited to revisit when I have more time.