Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Frozen" Reviews/Discussion - 2020 Horror Challenge

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-29-20, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Frozen (2010)

Selected by WillieMLF

Additional Posters:
Spoiler:

IMDB ENTRY

TUBI

ALYXSTARR LINK

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2020 DISCUSSION | 2020 LISTS

Old 10-07-20, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: "Frozen" Reviews/Discussion - 2020 Horror Challenge

Frozen is a wonderfully tense movie with an excellent premise that’s believable. It never really ‘jumps the shark’ but waffles between sizzling engaging suspense and groan worthy ‘twists’ that while not implausible are too coincidental (attendance switches at last moment, wolves show up, the cable car bolt unscrews?!?). Deus ex machina and ‘dumb choices’ abound to the point it hurts what could otherwise have been a ‘modern classic.’ I think this might be one of Adam Green’s better films (second to Digging Up the Marrow).
Old 10-07-20, 01:53 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

This film is an excellent example of the principle of Keep it Simple from a story perspective. The acting and direction does the rest. It's a solid, tense thriller.

7/10
The following users liked this post:
Trevor (10-09-20)
Old 10-07-20, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 167 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
It never really ‘jumps the shark’ but waffles between sizzling engaging suspense and groan worthy ‘twists’ that while not implausible are too coincidental (attendance switches at last moment, wolves show up, the cable car bolt unscrews?!?)
Reminded me a bit of Open Water and accounting for the divers when the other three skiers arrived. It's been awhile since I've yelled a movie like this -- seriously, throw your gear at the snow groomer!
Old 10-07-20, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 811 Likes on 538 Posts

I enjoyed this more the first time. I think the problem I have is the stupid decisions and the unlikeability of all the characters.
I also have this completely unwarranted dislike of Adam Green from years ago. I used to go a lot of horror conventions and I remember when he was peddling the first Hatchet film. I heard the phrase old school American horror a hundred times that weekend at his Q&a’s and screenings and everytine I walked past his table.
That was also the year I passed out in an elevator and was woken up by Sid Haig who led me to my room. Ahh the good old days.
Old 10-07-20, 10:51 PM

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts

Crap, that was intense. I saw it when it first came out and liked it, but I didn't remember how unsettling it is throughout. Or maybe I've just gotten wimpier.
One of those claustrophobia movies, like undersea or deep space. Those are tough for me to watch. It was really well-done though. I gave it a 4/5 stars.
Old 10-07-20, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Man, I love this movie. This was first movie of the first challenge I joined back in 2014. My wife and I were reminiscing about that viewing tonight, when she walked out and refused to watch the rest. This is my horror popcorn flick, where I just sit back and marvel at how humans react when bad things happen. Most horror movies seem to be about the poor decision we make, whereas this one really feels as if Kane Hodder just missed all the crap being thrown in his direction. I’m sure the reckoning, weeks from now will fault the shift change between attendants, and how there were three skiers accounted for. This is a piling up of dumb luck. Everything seems plausible, and then the wolves show up. My wife gave it the triple thumbs up this time around!

Last edited by WillieMLF; 10-07-20 at 11:40 PM.
Old 10-07-20, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

As others have said, I've always found this to be a really solid film. I decided to listen to the cast and director commentary this year. It was an entertaining listen and gave some good information.
Old 10-08-20, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

I enjoyed this one, and really found the tension to be well paced. I'm a sucker for snowy films though. It's a 4/5 for me. I saw it once before when it first was released on Blu-ray and found it equally tense again. I would have loved to see it in a theatre. The commentary track sounds like a good idea for my next viewing of it.
Old 10-08-20, 01:21 PM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Thanks for putting this on the list. It had been on my radar forever and I'm glad I finally watched it - as others have said, it's intense and efficient, and I was with it to the end.
Old 10-09-20, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

I seen this when it came out, and still like it very much. There are some corny elements that just make you mad... i.e the scene with Kane Hodder. They should have thrown everything at him. Also... the kid who couldn't do a push up is able to scuttle down to the ladder. Why wouldn't the first guy attempt that first before trying to jump.
Old 10-09-20, 01:16 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkgod
I seen this when it came out, and still like it very much. There are some corny elements that just make you mad... i.e the scene with Kane Hodder. They should have thrown everything at him. Also... the kid who couldn't do a push up is able to scuttle down to the ladder. Why wouldn't the first guy attempt that first before trying to jump.
I could see not thinking absolutely clearly in the ‘heat’ of the moment. Jump maybe didn’t look as far as it was, or thinking the snow would be softer.