Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Images" Reviews/Discussion - 2020 Horror Challenge

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-29-20, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Images (1972)

Selected by arw6040

Additional Posters:
Spoiler:

IMDB ENTRY

SHUDDER

Amazon Amazon
PRIME

TUBI

Kanopy

ALYXSTARR LINK

ALYXSTARR LINK - Commentary by Diabolique editors Samm Deighan and Kat Ellinger

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2020 DISCUSSION | 2020 LISTS

Old 10-06-20, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: "Images" Reviews/Discussion - 2020 Horror Challenge

I enjoyed images, it's a surreal film with some 'wtf' moments.

I think I see it as a demonstration of remembering/reliving out of context moments from our lives (photographs) that are startling, sweet, and jarring since they don't match where we are at that moment (perhaps not remembering all the details or being confused/ angry with not matching how we feel now). I'd read some descriptions that say she has Schizophrenia and think that sort of explanation is a cop out (also true for Repulsion and other films). I especially liked how she confronted herself. Some of the children's book narration seemed odd; it was nicely bizzare but I'm not sure what to make of it (maybe that she is prone to fantasy?).

The telephone calls at the start of the film were a good way to kickstart things but I cannot tell what role they played; they seem out of context for a lot of the rest of the film (other than maybe to establish she is untrusting and suspicious).

Well shot images, what a scenic film. I felt like I could smell the wood grain and polyester.

What is with that poster in the top post? Amazing stuff having nothing obvious to do with the film (?).

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-06-20 at 09:24 AM.
Old 10-06-20, 12:57 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Brilliant psychological thriller about a woman who thinks she is interacting with her ex husband and ex-lover while with her current husband. Very disorienting film.

9/10
Old 10-06-20, 01:17 PM

Received 499 Likes on 360 Posts

Images is $2.99 on iTunes right now.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/id1349275026
Old 10-06-20, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 811 Likes on 538 Posts

I really wanted to like this more. I’d like to give this another whirl one day when I’m in the right frame of mind.
Old 10-06-20, 07:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love surreal horror films for the most part so this worked for me not the best I’ve seen but I thought it was pretty good. Also agree with Undeadcow’s analysis saying “I think I see it as a demonstration of remembering/reliving out of context moments from our lives (photographs) that are startling, sweet, and jarring since they don't match where we are at that moment (perhaps not remembering all the details or being confused/angry with not matching how we feel now).” — also like your tie in mention to the theme day in your analysis explanation too.
The following users liked this post:
Undeadcow (10-06-20)
Old 10-06-20, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

im so confused, but in a good way.
Old 10-07-20, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

I'm a huge Altman fan, so his only horror film was one I had to pick up when it was released on Blu-ray. I watched it for the first time a couple months ago and liked it quite a bit. It is a great pair with his film Three Women, though that's not horror.

Since I had seen the film recently, I decided to listen to the audio commentary. It was a really good listen. It talked about how this film relates to the rest of Altman's filmography and pointed out common elements and ideas in his films. The speakers also discussed its similarities to other films dealing with inanity, broken identity, doppelgangers and sexual repression. There were mentions of Lynch, Polanski's apartment trilogy, Bergman and Kieslowski. Very informative and worth a listen for those wanting to know more about it.

One interesting fact shared in the audio commentary was that the children's story read during the film was actually written by the lead actress. Also, the character names were a mirror to other characters. Susannah York plays Catherine; Cathryn Harrison plays Susannah; Rene Auberjonois plays Hugh; Hugh Millais plays Marcel; and Marcel Bozzuffi plays Rene.
The following users liked this post:
arw6040 (10-08-20)
Old 10-07-20, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 167 Likes on 118 Posts

It was okay but great cinematography!
Old 10-07-20, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

I enjoy mind-fuck films in the Lynchian vein and have been on an Altman kick the last few months, so this was a winner. And speaking of Lynch, there was some obvious inspiration from Bergman's Persona. Love the unusual John Williams score, too.

After watching the Stephen Thrower interview on the Arrow disc, I was surprised to hear he had such trouble getting financing. I just assumed after coming off the success of MASH, and it being the 70s a film like this would've gone straight into production.

One of my favorites scenes is when she arrived at the Glencove(?) house looking down from the hillside as she spots her doppelganger arriving in the same car. It cuts to the other Cathryn at the house looking up, and then does a zoom shot to hillside Cathryn looking down. The point of view then stays with the other Cathryn as she enters the house. Very disorienting to say the least, and open to so many interpretations. Love it.
Old 10-09-20, 12:35 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts

I’ve watched very little Altman, but this makes me want to see more. Loved it!