DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Reviews and Recommendations (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations-8/)
-   -   "Boardinghouse" Reviews/Discussion - 2020 Horror Challenge (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations/651416-boardinghouse-reviews-discussion-2020-horror-challenge.html)

Chad 09-29-20 11:30 PM

"Boardinghouse" Reviews/Discussion - 2020 Horror Challenge

<BR>
<table border="30"><tr>
<td bgcolor=#000000>
Boardinghouse (1982)

https://i.imgur.com/DBFW9Cn.jpg

Selected by ade3333
</tr></td></table>

Additional Posters:

IMDB ENTRY

ALYXSTARR LINK

ALYXSTARR LINK - Commentary by director John Wintergate & actress Kalassu

ALYXSTARR LINK - Director's Cut

ALYXSTARR LINK - Director's Cut w/commentary by John Wintergate & Kalassu

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

<table border="25"><tr>
<td bgcolor=#000000>
S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y
<td bgcolor=#668b8b>

<table border="5"><tr>
<td bgcolor=#2F4F4F>https://i.imgur.com/IDFYJVJ.jpg
</tr></td></table>
<table border="5"><tr>
<td bgcolor=#2F4F4F>https://i.imgur.com/QQbO8t2.jpg
</tr></td></table>
<table border="5"><tr>
<td bgcolor=#2F4F4F>https://i.imgur.com/v6DkNlm.png
</tr></td></table>
<table border="5"><tr>
<td bgcolor=#2F4F4F>https://i.imgur.com/uzZU9gH.png
</tr></td></table>

<td bgcolor=#000000>
S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

</tr></td></table>

2020 DISCUSSION | 2020 LISTS
<BR>

Toddarino 10-03-20 05:05 PM

Re: "Boardinghouse" Reviews/Discussion - 2020 Horror Challenge

This is one of my most anticipated on the list. I’ve never seen it, blind bought it Thursday after watching the trailer. I’ll be getting day drunk with this one on Monday.

jholmes 10-04-20 11:51 AM

I downloaded the alxystarr regular version because I wasn't going to pay over $20 for this. The quality is going to be a challenge for me. It's super fuzzy and I've gotten to be something of a resolution snob. But we'll see! I do appreciate having the file available though. Thank you.

Undeadcow 10-04-20 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by jholmes (Post 13817540)
I downloaded the alxystarr regular version because I wasn't going to pay over $20 for this. The quality is going to be a challenge for me. It's super fuzzy and I've gotten to be something of a resolution snob. But we'll see! I do appreciate having the file available though. Thank you.

The Code Red DVD looks a fuzzy too, I think it's just the shot on video resolution. I compared it to Alyxstarr's link and his version is a bit darker and maybe a tad fuzzier but this film is no gem of picture quality.

Undeadcow 10-05-20 01:10 AM

Watched the Code Red DVD which starts with an (uninformative) introduction with director John Wintergate; then I noticed that's the same guy who stars in the film so looked it up to see he wrote, directed, stars in, narrated, and did make up for Boardinghouse (with his wife being a female lead). Living legend. According to this disc Boardinghouse is a spoof, "we meant to make it corny, funny, stupid."

Boardinghouse is a cool concept and nicely dated - a sleazebag rents his house out to a bunch of eligible women and he is telekinetic and the house is haunted. Awesome... and it apparently got a theatrical release; which is a sign of how fall we've fallen since. I don't usually say this but the sleaze took away from the sort of cool leering suburban vibe and the docudrama start with more deaths than you can count on one hand ...but these people do know how to party. Did they not have the budget to use the latex pig mask or red light 'eyes' more than once? Deliver the goods, Boardinghouse - so much party, so little death. I don't know what will come first the end of the film in 10 minutes or epic bloodletting at the party - eye gouging scene is the second best scare in the film behind pig mask. Some of the acting might not be top notch but these people have heart - the blonde who took this guy's heart did so with so much glee and gusto I think she got a bit of my heart too in the process.

Maybe one day I'll be brave enough to tackle the 3 hour long director's cut, which I'm a bit worried might just be the writer/director/star person hanging out on a boat with models for an extra 2 hours.

Crazy to think Boardinghouse was releasing the same year as The Thing, Cat People, etc.

hbsvb 10-05-20 01:05 PM

This film is truly terrible! I certainly hope it is the worst movie I watch for this challenge as I can't imagine actually sitting through anything worse.

clckworang 10-05-20 01:30 PM

Well, I did it. I made it through. It was like a haunted Three's Company but with a lot more sleaze and a lot less talent, script and production values.

numbercrunch 10-05-20 02:03 PM

A shot on video slasher from the early 80's. A couple shot this film out of their house. Its more like a family home video than a real movie. Its a tough sit through whether you watch the theatrical release or the painful 2.5 hour director's cut. I have the Olive DVD. I will gladly sell it to anybody interested!

2/10

Voorheeshulk 10-05-20 04:35 PM

holy crap, the director's cut is almost an hour longer!!!!!

Toddarino 10-05-20 07:00 PM

Well that was a movie. It was about what I expected, but maybe I should have just saved the $20.

Darkgod 10-06-20 06:23 AM

That was a chore to finish... and to keep my interest,

wishbone 10-06-20 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by clckworang (Post 13818183)
Well, I did it. I made it through. It was like a haunted Three's Company but with a lot more sleaze and a lot less talent, script and production values.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...a49f3bfaba.jpg Come and knock on our door
(Come and knock on our door)
We've been waiting for you
(We've been waiting for you)
Where the kisses are hers and hers and hers and hers and hers and hers and hers and his
Boardinghouse, too https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...24f07f5fdf.jpg

About an hour into the movie I thought maybe I was watching the director's cut. :sad:

Shack 10-06-20 09:25 AM

Wow.

A chore to finish, I agree. Wore its Video-ness and its 1980's-ness on its sleeve, which is about the best I can say for it. The endless screaming on the soundtrack made me keep turning down the volume to get through it (and reminded me I'd like to rewatch Blow Out...).

mallratcal 10-06-20 10:17 PM

I'm certain this movie was made just so the director could meet a bunch of hot, scantily-clad women.

jholmes 10-06-20 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by hbsvb (Post 13818163)
This film is truly terrible! I certainly hope it is the worst movie I watch for this challenge as I can't imagine actually sitting through anything worse.

You took the words right out of my mouth. Excruciating.

DaveyJoe 10-06-20 11:30 PM

I ran out of alcohol.

Toddarino 10-07-20 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by mallratcal (Post 13819126)
I'm certain this movie was made just so the director could meet a bunch of hot, scantily-clad women.

That’s the same thing I thought until I learned his wife was the lead broad in that movie.

Chad 10-07-20 07:44 PM

Maybe I have higher pain threshold than most or I'm a glutton for punishment, but I really dug it. While I agree it's certainly not great horror even by SOV standards, I did enjoy it more as a comedy. Can't help but love any film that has a Rosanna Arquette clone almost instantaneously mastering telekinesis from reading a library book. :lol:

WillieMLF 10-08-20 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 13819619)
Maybe I have higher pain threshold than most or I'm a glutton for punishment, but I really dug it. While I agree it's certainly not great horror even by SOV standards, I did enjoy it more as a comedy. Can't help but love any film that has a Rosanna Arquette clone almost instantaneously mastering telekinesis from reading a library book. :lol:

And, she has power over yogurt....

I wrote up something way too long as a review for my list, and ended up not saving it.

The pacing on this made it a real slog to get through. My wife bailed an hour into the short version, and the remaining time felt like it was stretching into eternity. With that said, I didn’t hate it as much as I should have. This dude was a real creep, but it seemed like he was pretty lucky with the ladies. I think it was the leopard print bikini briefs.

Trevor 10-09-20 12:49 PM

Normally I’d be in the hate it camp on a film like this, but for some reason I loved it. Just in the right mood maybe, and got into the vibe that they were just a few regular joes deciding to make a spoof.

mallratcal 10-15-20 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Toddarino (Post 13819185)
That’s the same thing I thought until I learned his wife was the lead broad in that movie.

Huh, now I don't know what to believe.