Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk reviews for Monday, June 29th, 2020

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 06-30-20, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Review DB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DVD Talk Collector Series
Pool of London (Blu-ray)
by Stuart Galbraith IV

Though labeled a crime noir, what impresses most about Pool of London (1951) is its startlingly naturalistic progressiveness concerning race relations, including British cinema's first interracial romance, and its semi-documentary capturing of the area along the Thames between London Bridge and Limehouse, a once thriving wharfing area (the "Pool of London") abruptly ended with the rise of shipping containers and deep-water ports, and its eventual gentrification to luxury flats and shops under Thatcher, a transition famously predicted by gangster Harold Shand (Bob Hoskins) in The Long Good Friday (1980).

In many respects Pool of London resembles Ealing Studios' earlier It Always Rains on Sunday (1947). Both are ensemble pieces with a crime ...Read the entire review »

Recommended
Film Noir: The Dark Side of Cinema III [Abandoned / The Lady Gambles / The Sleeping City] (Blu-ray)
by Ian Jane

The Movie:

Kino Lorber Studio Classics presents three unique film noir entries from the Universal Studios vault in the third boxed set of their Film Noir: The Dark Side Of Cinema collections. Here's what's inside

The Sleeping City:

Released by Universal Studios in 1950 and directed by George Sherman, the story begins when a doctor named Foster (Hugh Reilly), an interne at Bellevue Hospital in Manhattan, is shot dead outside the massive structure. The cops, led by Inspector Gordon (John Alexander), are called in to investigate but they don't get anywhere outside of a rather vague response from head ward nurse Ann Sebastian (Coleen Gray) who had wanted to talk to Foster that day about nothing.' When the cops realize they're not going to get any useful info, they decide the best course of action is to bring in an operative so undercover that not even his fellow ...Read the entire review »

LEGO DC Shazam: Magic and Monsters (w/Figurine) (Blu-ray/DVD) (Blu-ray)
by Ryan Keefer

The Movie:

My son's tastes in entertainment have been changing a little, moving subtly away from the animated concept stuff to a little more tangible, like Spielberg and the Jurassic Park movies. And I've been trying to show him some of the superhero movies, ones that won't scare him like the modern Superman because it avoids darkness and cynicism that I certainly don't want to impart on him NOW. But he seems to find a little bit of a balance in superhero ethos within the LEGO backdrop, as that is something else that is slowly rising in the house.

Jeremy Adams has written several different LEGO projects along with this one, and Matt Peters directs this film about Billy Batson, who is a ten-year-old orphan, but learns he not only has superpowers than turn him into a grownup named Shazam (voiced by Sean Asti...Read the entire review »