Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk reviews for Friday, November 8th, 2019

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 11-09-19, 04:00 AM
DVD Talk Review DB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Highly Recommended
Charley Varrick (Blu-ray)
<small>by Ian Jane</small><hr />

The Movie:

Directed by Don Siegel in 1973, two years after his 1971 film Dirty Harry struck box office gold, Charley Varrick, based on the novel by John Reese and featuring a screenplay by Howard Rodman, opens when a trio of criminals rob a bank located in a small New Mexico town. Two of the men, Charley Varrick (Walther Matthau) and Harman Sullivan (Andy Robsinson), are lucky enough to escape with the money, the third in their party, Charley's wife Nadine (Jacqueline Scott), is not. Or at least it seems like they're lucky. Eventually Charley deduces that they might have a bigger problem they first thought when it turns out that a whole lot of the cash they've made off with is mob money.

Soon enough, the cops are looking for Charley, a former stunt pilot/crop duster, and Harman, but so too is Molly (Joe Dan Baker), a mafia hitman contracted by a mobster named Maynard...Read the entire review »

Ringu (Blu-ray)
<small>by William Harrison</small><hr />

THE FILM:

Hideo Nakata's 1998 horror film Ringu is an important player in the "J-horror" genre, and also can be credited with bringing that term into the American lexicon. A smash hit in Japan that spawned several sequels and an American remake, the film now receives an excellent Blu-ray release from Arrow Video. The story remains familiar to fans of this Japanese film and the 2002 Hollywood remake: Once watched, the video tape of bizarre imagery at the heart of the film seemingly seals the death of its viewer in seven days. The film is a cautionary tale of sorts on society's overreliance on technology, and mirrors the clash of modern culture with traditional Japanese values. Nakata does not rely on blood and gore to frighten viewers, and instead creates a moody, slow-burning thriller in which viewers inves...Read the entire review »

Rent It
Stuber (Blu-ray)
<small>by Ryan Keefer</small><hr />

The Movie:

Dave Bautista is a nice guy by many accounts. One time, the Washington D.C. native went to an elementary school that my sister-in-law attended, and her friend/Dave's daughter presented her Dad for Show and Tell. I don't know if he managed to talk about his time working in Blade Runner 2049 or not, but it certainly would have made for a cool experience. I guess what I'm saying is, Dave Bautista in an inevitable remake of Kindergarten Cop is what I would go for and what the country needs in its hour of need.

Before that, Bautista gets to show off his chops elsewhere, like in the action comedy Stuber. Written by Tripper Clancy (Four Against the Bank) and directed by Michael Dowse (Goon), Bautista plays Vic, a cop who undergoes l...Read the entire review »

Clarence Clemons : Who Do I Think I Am? (Blu-ray)
<small>by Ryan Keefer</small><hr />

The Movie:

I'm not much of a Bruce Springsteen fan. Or to put it another way, it's just music I could never get into, but I do respect the following. I know some of the band people more from their other activities; guitarist Steven van Zandt's turn in The Sopranos and saxophonist Clarence Clemons in Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure come to mind. And when watching the documentary on the latter titled Who do I think I Am?, I had forgotten that he had passed until I started watching.

Nick Mead directs the film, which includes interviews from various places like the E Street Bandmates of Clemons (Nils Lofgren), stagemates with Clemons in other areas (like Eagles guitarist...Read the entire review »