Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Tigers Are Not Afraid" Reviews/Discussion - 2019 Horror Challenge

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-19, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Tigers Are Not Afraid (2017)

Selected by arw6040

Spoiler:

IMDB ENTRY

SHUDDER

ALYXSTARR LINK

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2019 DISCUSSION | 2019 LISTS

Last edited by Chad; 10-20-19 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-29-19, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: "Tigers Are Not Afraid" Reviews/Discussion - 2019 Horror Challenge

I like that most of the drama is about the humans with the supernatural not being antagonistic. Seeing ghosts that provide protection or reassurance from the grit of poverty and loss is an effective way of reframing the supernatural in "horror" films. The kids are sometimes obnoxious but that's a convincing part of childhood. The deaths feels heart wrentching and impactful, not sure if some of that is just because they're kids or the surprise of it. This is a pretty grim film and it makes me wonder if life in Mexico really is streets filled with orphan kids getting shot in the stomach because that seems like over exaggeration. Estrella reconnecting with the spirit of her dead mother is another emotional highlight. Tigers Are Not Afraid does an effective job of affirming humanity and hope in the face of human darkness, something unusual for horror films which I usually see as darker less optimistic escapism.

Although the ending is something I hated, she seems to just walk off into a fantasy land of green fields but in reality it seems there could be no positive outcome for her. I cannot tell if that's suppose to be ironic that she's become so lost and out of touch with reality that she's more associated with the dead and unable to return to the grim streets psychological (maybe because she's dead)... or if they're trying to be upbeat and just painting over everything to be magical and happy now that she's definitely an orphan with dead friends because despite that she's psychologically found the greener grass of surviving/coping.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 11-01-19 at 09:48 AM.
Old 10-30-19, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Nice insight Undeadcow.

I enjoyed this one. It was a real slow build for me, and I'm surprised I could stay with it, as I feel I'm starting to burn out on horror for the month. I'm probably going to see if I can get my hands on one of the blus.
I agree that her future is bleak.
Old 10-30-19, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

I don't feel like I got to really view this movie as I had a lot of technical issues while watching it. Buffering, etc. I don't know if it's just the new thing in horror or if everyone just wants to shoot scenes so dark, you can't really tell what's happening. It seems a lot of current horror movies do this and it frustrates me. Plus, I don't feel like I was in the correct mindset to enjoy such a heavy movie. I'll have to give this one a rewatch at some point, but it was well-made and made me feel for the kids and their conditions.
Old 10-30-19, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

I really liked this ... one of my highest rated first-time views of the challenge. It reminded me of Pan's Labyrinth in that it featured a girl against a backdrop of real-world horror, interweaving elements of fantasy. It's certainly true it's an emotionally heavy movie that one probably needs to be in the right frame of mind to best appreciate.
Old 10-30-19, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Enjoyed it, just really did not like the guy who played Shine. Kind of glad to see him get shot. Kid was a prick. You really felt for the girl and the other boys, though. Felt Chino could have been stronger and played by more of a badass (thinking Danny T). Wish this could have been dubbed in English too since it was a slow burn. Overall great setting and mood which I enjoyed. Def have to watch again down the line.
Old 10-31-19, 10:45 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

The foreign choices tend to be my favorites of the subset each year, yet I rarely watch them otherwise. Need to change that.
Old 10-31-19, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
The foreign choices tend to be my favorites of the subset each year, yet I rarely watch them otherwise. Need to change that.
Ya I tend to always hold off on foreign movies though most of them are good. It's the whole reading thing. You just got to be in the mood for it.
Old 10-31-19, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

I really liked this one. I liked that it mixed real-life horrors with the supernatural in a very effective way. There really is a significant problem of violence with the drug trade in Mexico. I live about 30 minutes from the border and work in a city right alongside it. I remember going to Mexico as a kid. It's very common for people here to cross the border for cheap booze, medications, medical care and for meals. When I was in high school, we would cross to go drinking because the drinking age wasn't really enforced. I remember always being shocked by the little kids along the streets, especially right along the bridge where there is the most traffic, begging for money or offering to sell chiclets. It's jarring. I actually haven't crossed since 9/11 when they tightened crossing requirements (I don't have a passport). For a long time, the drug violence stayed away from the border and tourist areas, but then it started to have a lot of flare-ups, some even infringing on U.S. territory. It has cooled down, but I'd say it's still a very real problem, especially further interior.
Old 11-01-19, 01:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw this on the 29th but haven’t been able to get on here until now. I originally suggested this as a subset as I had read online several places that it was getting buzz at horror festivals so it peaked my interest and sounded like a more unique premise in a horror film and then it happened to release to Shudder just in time to include it in the subset suggestions as one of my most anticipated first time watches. I didn’t really perceive it as a horror film personally more of a gritty drama even though it was horrific circumstances in the movie & contains some supernatural elements it felt less horror film like to me than some of the other borderline horror films out there but I thought it was a well done film that seems to showcase the terrible circumstances in that area & it was unexpected for me to see the more graphic child deaths shown rather than implied or subdued like most other horror flicks I’ve seen. I didn’t really find any flaws with the children or the movie itself but likely a one time watch for me that isn’t a new personal favorite but I think it is good for what it is. I enjoyed reading all your responses to this film.