Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Death Spa" Reviews/Discussion - 2019 Horror Challenge

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-22-19, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Death Spa (1989)

Selected by cwileyy

Spoiler:

IMDB ENTRY

ALYXSTARR LINK

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2019 DISCUSSION | 2019 LISTS

Last edited by Chad; 10-20-19 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-26-19, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: "Death Spa" Reviews/Discussion - 2019 Horror Challenge

Despite the intentionally cheesy setup there is a solid haunted house film with better than average kills beneath the neon veneer even if parts of it are a slog to get through. I wish more supernatural thrillers were this willing to take chances stepping out of timeless darkness clad mansions and into more modern stylized settings even at the risk of getting dated. The basement water spray kill is my favorite but exploding mirror is pretty neat too or when the guys head pops open from the plank in the spa while others, like the diving board or blender, are corny. The wife's jealousy could have been toned down some and been believable plus she's oddly obsessed with 'let's die together and live forever in hell' as if that would be tempting to anyone. Death Spa gleefully does not care about it's premise and just goes for broke - How did the blender kill that woman at the bar? That's outside the mythos of a computer control system. Now fish are killing people. Doesn't matter, it looks cool and is a memorable kill. The go for broke approach to epic kills with better than average effects and a crazy villain ultimately pays off even if it flirts with being unintentionally comedic with it's intentionally oddball premise. Is this a haunted house film, a possession film, a killer computer film, a slasher, or a witchcraft film? You decide... bonus points for stereotypical transgendered killer/vessel.

Perhaps the least believable part of Death Spa is how constantly crowded the gym is.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-26-19 at 10:42 AM.
Old 10-26-19, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 167 Likes on 118 Posts

"Besides, I'm Beta, you're VHS."
Old 10-26-19, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

Wow, the 80's vomited all over this movie, but I see that as a good thing. When I saw all of the neon lights and colors, I was immediately interested. I wouldn't want this style back or anything as it was a product of its time, but after today's horror films have adopted a dank, rundown look for everything (which works for some, but not all of them), it was a nice change of pace in the day to see some brightly-lit cheesy 80's atmosphere. Brenda Bakke, who I remember from her American Gothic days, opens up by getting naked, so it was already off to a great start. At some point, I started having deja vu feelings, like I had seen this before. I probably watched this is a kid and don't remember, but some parts did seem familiar.

Anyway, back on topic, the story isn't bad, I enjoyed this for what it was, a cheesy 80's horror movie with some nice atmosphere. I'm not a big gore person, but even I was impressed that it got gory towards the end, because I didn't expect it with what came before. Along the way, I even spotted some familiar faces, like the sheriff from Scream, Chelsea Field, and Hilary Banks from the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. Some of it was silly, and this won't ever crack a top horror movies list or anything, but it was fun for an 80's cheese fest.
Old 10-26-19, 02:46 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 651 Likes on 436 Posts

This was a crazy film. All over the place, but some decent ideas and kills. Agree with all the above. Nice blind buy for $4.99 in the Vudu sales this month.
Old 10-26-19, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by wishbone
I still don't understand what this means, and I had a beta recorder. What is Bill Paxton going on about?
Old 10-26-19, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by WillieMLF
I still don't understand what this means, and I had a beta recorder. What is Bill Paxton going on about?
I think he was trying to say that he was the superior model (or too good for her), but in hindsight, this insult doesn't age well. To be honest, while I was just a kid when this movie came out, I didn't know anyone who still had a BetaMax recorder by 1989
Old 10-26-19, 11:09 PM

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

The movie is nuts and I love it.
Old 10-27-19, 03:12 AM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a blast every time I see this. It's just so over-the-top that I can't not have a good time.
Old 10-28-19, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 179 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by wishbone
Originally Posted by WillieMLF
Originally Posted by MysterioMan007
I think he was trying to say that he was the superior model (or too good for her), but in hindsight, this insult doesn't age well. To be honest, while I was just a kid when this movie came out, I didn't know anyone who still had a BetaMax recorder by 1989
Beta was on its death bed when the movie was shot, so not a good put-down. Then again, he didn't seem like a particularly bright guy (even in a movie filled with stupid people).

I'm guessing this movie could have all the gore since it was directly released to home video. The MPAA was brutal in destroying theatrically released slashers in the late 80's.
Old 10-28-19, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

I def got lost a couple of times. It actually started out kind of entertaining and then lost me about 50 mins in. At this movie theater I go to, last year they had this Podcast, Bombs Away, do their podcast at the theater for this movie around Halloween time or just after. I would always see the previews and just cringed. Cannot believe I actually watched it now. Not as bad as I thought it would be, but def nothing amazing either.
Old 10-28-19, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

STAR BODY HEALTH SPA.

I had a good bit of fun with this movie. My wife kept on commenting that this 'gym' was Mount Everest compared to our little 'ant hill' of a gym. Gyms were so much nicer back in the day. It sure was nice packed with wall to wall boobs and dudes prancing around in yellow leotards.
Old 10-28-19, 09:38 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 651 Likes on 436 Posts

I’m hoping that DaveyJoe will livepost this film while drunk.
Old 10-29-19, 08:11 AM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Pure 80s cheese. I like the gym setting and the ending is a hoot.