Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Us" Reviews/Discussion - 2019 Horror Challenge

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-22-19, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Us (2019)

Selected by clckorang

Spoiler:

IMDB ENTRY

ALYXSTARR LINK

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2019 DISCUSSION | 2019 LISTS

Last edited by Chad; 10-20-19 at 03:47 PM.
Old 10-23-19, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts
Re: "Us" Reviews/Discussion - 2019 Horror Challenge

I felt this one was pretty good. For a guy directing only his second movie, Jordan Peele does a great job here getting the best performances out of the actors. I did enjoy this film. That said, I think it's a little overhyped.
Old 10-23-19, 01:51 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 651 Likes on 436 Posts

I think Get Out is one of the finest films of this century. Not just genre films, but all films. Us is growing on me with each rewatch, but I was disappointed initially.
Old 10-24-19, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

I agree with MysterioMan and Trevor that Us does not live up to the hype, or standards of Get Out, even if it's a good film that shows promise. It does seem abstract and thoughtful so maybe part of it is that I haven't puzzled it out well enough.

I like the abstract doppleganger concept here with great tone and style but seems to play with great ideas that don't really go anywhere. It's a brilliant twist that the hero is the villain who has become the hero and the villain is an inversion of that as the lost girl hero that became the villain. Shadows of Body Snatchers for the 100th time here but adding an awkward backstory that ultimately hurts the film. The 'tethering' idea of the silent doppleganger underground controlling their twin who share one soul creates more answers than there are questions for. It's a brillantly ambitious premise that really makes no sense plot or theme wise other than as scifi pulp and then is overly detailed. The 'climax' is Us over explaining it's premise and painstakingly revealing that the doppleganger is the wife not the invader. I read some about Us being about xenophobic paranoia or situational classism but don't think those stick because of the whole backstory to the dopplegangers which overexplains them to the point they no longer fit those thematic generalities. Soul tethered dopplegangers introduces distracting additions like the idea that everyone has a doppleganger so millions, that someone made them but unsure who, or how this port in Santa Cruz seems like such an accessible entry point. The dopplegangers are so devoid of personality they're not good stand-ins for a disenfranchised 'other.' I don't understand the 'hands across America' bit. Why the bunnies?

The scissors are a great visual and make sense as opposing the 'tethered' storyline but the tethering stuff makes no sense.

Lupita Nyong'o (mom in Us) did well in a sweeter horror role with Little Monsters on Hulu.

Jordan Peele is one of the most daring voices in horror today and probably the champion the genre needs right now.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-24-19 at 09:08 AM.
Old 10-24-19, 07:39 AM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Us was a great watch. It had me thinking throughout the film and it was well acted. No complaints here. 8/10
Old 10-24-19, 08:01 AM

Received 806 Likes on 533 Posts

I didn’t see this when it came out because I felt like Get Out was way overrated. That was a mistake. I really enjoyed Us. Sure there were some plot holes, but I’m still thinking about it this morning and that is a sign of a great film.
Old 10-24-19, 02:46 PM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

It was great to revisit Us for the Challenge. I agree with others that it's a bit overstuffed with somethings that don't go anywhere, but the filmmaking and performances (particularly Lupita Nyong'o) are very good. I look forward to seeing what Jordan Peele does next.
Old 10-24-19, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

I came into this one knowing absolutely nothing , and not having seen Get Out. I felt this movie had a lot to say and I didn't get everything, but I'm looking forward to revisiting it again soon.

The doppelgangers fed on rabbits, but there was more to it, but I'm not sure of the significance.
Old 10-24-19, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 971 Likes on 805 Posts

I thought it was good but not as impactful as Get Out. I have been meaning to give it another watch, though, so maybe I should try to make that happen this month.
Old 10-24-19, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 749 Likes on 488 Posts

This was a first-time watch for me, and considering it was my pick, I'm relieved to say that I liked it overall. It started a bit slow and abstract. I wasn't quite sure where it was headed, but once the shadow family entered the picture, everything ratcheted up quite a bit, and it hooked me in. I had lots of questions about the doppelgangers. It's like I was sort of hoping for an explanation and yet also sort of not. I think the detailed explanation might have been better left unsaid, though I may feel differently upon repeat viewings and further examination.

I watched a few minutes of extra features, mainly because it immediately started playing after the credits, and it seems like there actually could be a lot there. They talked about the significance of the scissors and how it's one thing created by two and the reinforcement of that type of imagery (like the recurring 11). There was also a mention of the rabbits and how it was also a callback from Get Out. I hated to turn it off because I was really interested in hearing more, but I'll save that for after the challenge.

Perhaps appropriate given one of his current gigs, I thought the premise of this felt like a Twilight Zone episode. While I don't have any serious complaints about the film, I could sort of see that working better. A tighter runtime and less explanation.

Originally Posted by Trevor
I think Get Out is one of the finest films of this century. Not just genre films, but all films. Us is growing on me with each rewatch, but I was disappointed initially.
The funny thing is that I sort of had the reverse response. When I first watched Get Out, I thought it was good but definitely overhyped and riding on the zeitgeist of the time. Subsequent viewings have opened up my opinion about that film a lot more, and I find more in it with subsequent viewings. This film hooked me in a much quicker way, yet I wondered how well it would lend itself to repeat viewings.

I am surprised at the people saying this film was overhyped. I'm not meaning to get into a debate about quality when I say that, more that this movie seemed much more divisive than Get Out. Word of mouth didn't seem nearly as good - at least with the people I spoke to and reviews I read. Regardless, I really am appreciating Peele's efforts in horror. I'd much rather have a director that stuffs his films with too many ideas. We already have plenty that don't put enough ideas into them.
Old 10-24-19, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
I am surprised at the people saying this film was overhyped. I'm not meaning to get into a debate about quality when I say that, more that this movie seemed much more divisive than Get Out. Word of mouth didn't seem nearly as good - at least with the people I spoke to and reviews I read. Regardless, I really am appreciating Peele's efforts in horror. I'd much rather have a director that stuffs his films with too many ideas. We already have plenty that don't put enough ideas into them.

This is just about every ad (or something like this one) I saw for this movie. So, that was my meaning behind overhyped. Not really by viewers, but by the marketing...I think the movie was fine, but I wouldn't even have it in my top 50, maybe even 100...
Old 10-26-19, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 749 Likes on 488 Posts

I guess I don't see that as being overhyped then. The whole point of a marketing campaign is to hype up a picture. It stands to reason after the breakout success of Get Out that the studio would try to situate Us in a similar way - a potential award winner with crossover potential. Besides, I see that kind of hyperbole on horror movie covers all the time "scariest film in 20 years!" but I guess I never pay that too much mind. I'm always shocked when this one friend of mine will pick out a movie to watch based on the fact that there will a critic's quote like that on the back of a DVD cover, never mind who that quote might be from.
Old 10-26-19, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 167 Likes on 118 Posts

Not bad but a bit too long for my liking.
Old 10-27-19, 04:01 AM

Received 210 Likes on 156 Posts

I liked Us well enough when I saw it in the theater back in the spring, but I liked it considerably less this time out. There are a couple of things that just don't add up for me:

Spoiler:
1. I understand the idea behind the "tethering" aspects of the plot, but it bothers me that Peele only uses it when it's convenient. It makes sense how the two girls got to be in the same place at the same time, since little Adelaide walked to the gateway where the surface met the tunnels and, due to the tethering, little Red wound up there as well. But if that's the case, then how did Red's family get to the surface years later? The closest that Adelaide and her family got to the tunnels was their beach visit, and then they went back home...which would have forced Red's family backward as well. Yet suddenly all of the shadow people are up on the surface--how'd they manage that? And since Red's family is able to show up in Adelaide's home, aren't they untethered already, thus negating her comment about "the great untethering"? And then later, suddenly Jason and Pluto are tethered again, which is how Jason gets rid of Pluto.

2. Although it's a much more minor quibble, how, exactly, did 300 million shadow people come by their red jumpsuits after they had been abandoned? And, even if the jumpsuits were some sort of uniform left by the folks who created the shadow people, why were there also millions of pairs of golden shears just lying around?

I think that Jordan Peele is an excellent director (I love the overhead shot of the family walking across the beach down to the shoreline as accompanied by Michael Abels's terrific score), but I've found his plots to be half-baked at best. Conversely, I think that Ari Aster (Hereditary, Midsommar) is a terrific writer, but his directing skills need honing. If Aster were to write a script for Peele, the result could be a modern classic. As it stands, I think that they're both better than average, but neither has hit one out of the park yet. Admittedly, they've each only made two films, but each of their second films feels like a step down from their first films. I think that the next film of each is going to be critical for their careers.

Last edited by rbrown498; 10-28-19 at 01:56 AM.
Old 10-28-19, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 929 Likes on 568 Posts

This movie sucks my asshole. No way I would waste my time revisiting this overrated turd so here is my review that I posted in the movie section after I saw it in the theaters.

I am not understanding the love for this flick.

It is not remotely scary or even creepy. It makes zero sense. The premise is beyond stupid. And the acting is fucking atrocious.

The only reason I didn't give it a zero was due to several of the funny lines in the movie. The rest is sheer shit.

The "twist" is telegraphed a mile away. No tension in scenes and if there was any tension started it is ruined by a (often funny) joke. The plot is full of holes and is laughable.

Half of the audience was laughing or snickering most of the time when the women did her "scary" speaking or the man did his (as listed above) Chewbacca growl. These were supposed to be eerie moments but came across as comical because they sounded so dumb. As someone else mentioned, the shadows reacted to different "rules" as was necessary for the story.

I like open interpretation movies if they give you something to work with but this gives nothing. With a horror movie, to be scared you have to accept the premise of the story. As you move along, since you have accepted what is happening is real, you get emotionally involved and have reactions to the horror that you find the characters sucked into. This is not one of those movies since premise is so silly and poorly acted and just happened out of left field for no reason at all. I liked Get Out though I thought it was a little overrated. But this film blows its overrated-ness out of the water.

And if the woman was indeed switched, how did she describe what was happening in the subways before she even got there?

The mind numbing gymnastics to accept the logistics of the main plot are impossible to overcome if you try to comprehend even a tiny shred of this movie.

Ugh...as you can see...I hated it. I hope this doesn't create a whole bunch of copycats in horror just because it was successful.

And Hands Across America...seriously??? Just so fucking dumb.

Just a warning to horror fans....you will likely be very disappointed. The only people I would see liking this are those who haven't seen a horror movie in 30 years, those who scare easily or those who enjoy the indecipherable.