Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"The Faculty" Reviews/Discussion - 2019 Horror Challenge

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-19, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

The Faculty (1998)

Selected by alyxstarr

Spoiler:

IMDB ENTRY

ALYXSTARR LINK

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2019 DISCUSSION | 2019 LISTS

Last edited by Chad; 10-20-19 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10-10-19, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts
Re: "The Faculty" Reviews/Discussion - 2019 Horror Challenge

This is one of my favorite late-90's horror movies. To start with, Robert Rodriguez is usually on point with any thing he does. Kevin Williamson was at the heght of his career. The cast is great, although I felt Shawn Hatosy was woefully miscast. But, The Breakfast Club and Invasion of the Body Snatchers have always been two of my favorite movies. This movie is basically those two combined and it makes for a very fun movie in my opinion. One of my favorites.
Old 10-10-19, 10:10 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007
This is one of my favorite late-90's horror movies. To start with, Robert Rodriguez is usually on point with any thing he does. Kevin Williamson was at the heght of his career. The cast is great, although I felt Shawn Hatosy was woefully miscast. But, The Breakfast Club and Invasion of the Body Snatchers have always been two of my favorite movies. This movie is basically those two combined and it makes for a very fun movie in my opinion. One of my favorites.
Yes!
Old 10-10-19, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 826 Likes on 547 Posts

I’ve always enjoyed this one. I’m glad it’s included this year.
Old 10-10-19, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 907 Likes on 669 Posts

Add me to the list of fans. Haven't seen it in years but I used to watch this one every year in October.
Old 10-10-19, 01:59 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

I am also a fan of The Faculty (who isn't?). Some of the humor is great, like the existential football captain who just wants to D he earned. The soundtrack is nicely ironic and suited for the film, mostly featuring 90s popular rock bands covering older era popular rock songs. The new girl is a great twist that should be predictable but somehow is not. The Faculty was the film that we needed in 1998, when horror was starting to get questionable in the years that immediate followed Scream (1996).

I think The Faculty's biggest problem is that as an analogy it's too thin, the unconforming new blood versus the establishment is about as general as it gets which I suppose makes it a classic formula that nicely taps into teen angst but perhaps pandering too much to it. (Although having the new girl as the lead alien is a nice twist of that trope. that maybe the establishment is changing too much for new people [?]). I love and hate how much it reminds me of those classic 'My Teacher Flunked the Planet,' etc books by Bruce Coville (which were not original either). If they want to remake Body Snatchers / The Thing every year that's ok by me.

The drug twist is an oddity - that Zeke is peddling a vague drug that is the deus ex machina for killing the aliens. Is there a subversive inference that the establish just needs to meth out more else they turn into brain slugs? Probably not, but ‘drugs are the true hero of our scifi high school epic’ is perhaps too provocative of a thread for such a mainstream film – nicely kicking back at the pitfalls of a drug resistance education obsessed school system but with maybe too little subtlety.

The aliens have some great creature effects with them crawling out the pores, gruesome stuff.

Zeke joining the football team at the end seems odd, he suddenly fits in now? He defeated literal conformity aliens so can now fit in better himself? I guess it shows character development.

Spoiler:

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-10-19 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-10-19, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

The Faculty is an absolute hoot, a good old-fashioned monster movie. I miss Jon Stewart.
Old 10-10-19, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Loved this movie back in the day and I still like it even now.
Old 10-10-19, 06:39 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Well, mark me down as liking The Faculty, but not loving it. The story is good, the characters are good, but the 90s CGI is not good.

6.5/10
Old 10-10-19, 11:33 PM

Received 513 Likes on 369 Posts

I love this movie. It's a lot of fun. Really fast paced. And it's got a great cast.
Old 10-11-19, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

It has been awhile since I have seen this movie but I remembered quite a bit. The CGI has not aged well but a fun movie and a nice rewatch!

I recall The Daily Show showing a clip from The Faculty when Jon turns into a baddie and he was getting some ribbing on his performance.

Old 10-11-19, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I still think the movie is garbage, but it seems I'm in the minority.
Old 10-11-19, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

I'm not really sure how I missed this one, but I was confusing it with that Tom Berenger movie, The Substitute. I put this in my queue a few months back from all of the good word of mouth. It really didn't disappoint and I'm glad we got to watch it.
Old 10-11-19, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I still think the movie is garbage, but it seems I'm in the minority.
The Faculty is not without problems; what makes you feel like it's 'garbage'?
Old 10-11-19, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Definitely my favorite Josh Hartnett film and imo his character really stole the show for me.
Old 10-11-19, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Fun movie. It doesn't take itself super seriously but delivers the right amount of thrills. Decent cast for a late 90s horror film.
Old 10-11-19, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Insane amount of talent in this movie. Shocked it never got into "cult classic" status like Dazed and Confused for horror films. Only bad thing, this audio on this was awful And had no closed captions.
Old 10-12-19, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

I'll always have a soft spot for this movie because I went to a premiere of this when I was living in Austin. I don't think I've seen it since then. I can't believe how long ago that was! It was a really fun experience, but I remember liking but not loving it back then. I actually think I liked it a lot more now, but again, I think a lot of it could have to do with the nostalgia factor.

I couldn't help but think back on that night and remembered so many little things about that I hadn't thought about in so long. I remember Robert Rodriguez being there and a Q&A after the film (what was asked, I can't remember at all) and that there was a drawing that night immediately after the film for Zeke's car. Everyone at the theater that night was eligible. They told us about it before the movie started and that we should scream, yell and cheer whenever the car was on the screen. Of course, everyone obliged. A woman ended up winning the car. I remember her saying that she had a son who was just getting his license and had been debating a car.

I actually was thinking back so much about that premiere experience that I went searching for anything that I might still have from that night. I'm very surprised I wasn't able to find the old ticket stub, but I was able to find the program that was passed out. I just took pictures of it with my phone. There's not really much to it, but I thought some of you might get a kick of looking at it. I can scan it if there's interest. I don't know how to resize these pics, so I just put spoiler tags around them.

Spoiler:

Old 10-12-19, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I forgot to mention anything about the cast. They really got their hands on some great actors, especially on the teacher side. And the students had some good names as well. I just think it's interesting looking back at the cast and expectations of many of them from that time. Then you see the direction they've all gone. Yes, Elijah Wood has starred in some of the biggest movies ever made thanks to Lord of the Rings, yet he's now settled into more TV, and I don't think people would consider him a big box office star. Clea DuVall was in so much during this time. She has always stayed pretty consistent with work, but I always expected her to really break out in something. I don't mean in the lead of a box office behemoth but something more actor (yes, that should be read in a loud pretentious voice). Oddly enough, Josh Hartnett has ended up having one of the more interesting careers of the bunch. Glancing at his IMDB, you can see how he was being groomed to be a big star, but again, he never seemed to fully break out on his own, despite having some big budget moneymakers and working with some really good talent. I'd almost say the same about Robert Rodriguez. Expectations for him at this time were incredibly high. He has had some all right movies, definitely made some money, but I don't think he has lived up to the expectations many had for him after El Mariachi. He keeps getting big-budget chances, though.
Old 10-12-19, 10:46 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

That’s pretty cool clock! Did you go to that premiere party with those celebs?
Old 10-12-19, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
I forgot to mention anything about the cast. They really got their hands on some great actors, especially on the teacher side. And the students had some good names as well. I just think it's interesting looking back at the cast and expectations of many of them from that time. Then you see the direction they've all gone. Yes, Elijah Wood has starred in some of the biggest movies ever made thanks to Lord of the Rings, yet he's now settled into more TV, and I don't think people would consider him a big box office star. Clea DuVall was in so much during this time. She has always stayed pretty consistent with work, but I always expected her to really break out in something. I don't mean in the lead of a box office behemoth but something more actor (yes, that should be read in a loud pretentious voice). Oddly enough, Josh Hartnett has ended up having one of the more interesting careers of the bunch. Glancing at his IMDB, you can see how he was being groomed to be a big star, but again, he never seemed to fully break out on his own, despite having some big budget moneymakers and working with some really good talent. I'd almost say the same about Robert Rodriguez. Expectations for him at this time were incredibly high. He has had some all right movies, definitely made some money, but I don't think he has lived up to the expectations many had for him after El Mariachi. He keeps getting big-budget chances, though.
Hartnett turned down many movies when his career was going good and eventually Hollywood got fed up with it.
Old 10-12-19, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Ugh seemed like it was my computer with the issues. I've got 3 computers for work. Just tried the playback on another laptop and volume is fine. Might have to give this another go later on.
Old 10-12-19, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by clckworang
I'll always have a soft spot for this movie because I went to a premiere of this when I was living in Austin...

Spoiler:

That's a great story, thank you for posting. I use to live in Austin too and there were a lot of great opportunities for stuff like that that I never took advantage of.
Old 10-13-19, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Trevor
That’s pretty cool clock! Did you go to that premiere party with those celebs?
We did. As I remember it, they introduced the people and then they didn't stay around for too much longer after that. But it was still fun for me and my friend to go.

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
That's a great story, thank you for posting. I use to live in Austin too and there were a lot of great opportunities for stuff like that that I never took advantage of.
Yeah, I went to a number of cool screenings, some of them surprise me. As I was going through ticket stubs and little programs from that time, I had a few, "Whoa, I went to that?!" moments. Hell, The Faculty itself was one of those for me. I miss having those opportunities where I live. It's pretty small potatoes here, but there were some amazing moments, like a screening of Easy Rider at the Austin Music Hall being delayed so that the sun would go down and then Anne Richards coming right before the start to sit with Dennis Hopper. William Friedkin premiered the restored print of The French Connection at the Alamo Drafthouse (back when there was only one!) and during the Q&A called someone up from the audience. My friend and I turn back to discover Quentin Tarantino was sitting just a couple of rows behind us. Fun moments. Damn. Now I feel old.