Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Disconnected" Reviews/Discussion - 2019 Horror Challenge

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-19, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Disconnected (1984)

Selected by SterlingBen

Spoiler:

IMDB ENTRY

PRIME
Amazon Amazon

ALYXSTARR LINK

ALYXSTARR LINK - COMMENTARY W/ DIRECTOR GORMAN BECHARD & ACTOR CARMINE CAPOBIANCO

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2019 DISCUSSION | 2019 LISTS

Last edited by Chad; 10-20-19 at 02:40 PM.
Old 10-08-19, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts
Re: "Disconnected" Reviews/Discussion - 2019 Horror Challenge

I think I've found my contender for worst movie of the challenge, although we are only a week into it, so we'll see. But, this was awful in every aspect. It's the most "70's movie made in the 80's" I have ever seen. And not the good 70's horror movies like Halloween or Black Christmas. This was "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" bad. Actually, it was worse. I'm actually kind of offended this was made.
Old 10-08-19, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Disconnected was a very odd movie. The end seemed entirely random, I'm tempted to rewatch to see if I missed anything but don't hate myself that much. I usually admire slow burn psychological films but Disconnected seemed to get too 'experimental' for me over baking themes and really indulging in prolonged segments of people answering or not ringing telephones. It seemed like they were trying to make a point about telephones, movies, and technology alienating people and putting them at risk if not outright killing them (which I think must be the case because otherwise the odd dance club music stuff makes no sense, other than in contrast to the alienation) - like something my grouchy old grandpa might have written or a less smart Videodrome.

The police officer interview was an interesting plot device.

Maybe if I had seen The Trouble With Harry then Disconnected would make more sense? ...or what that just set dressing?

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-08-19 at 01:29 PM.
Old 10-08-19, 04:35 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

I liked it. For a low budget film the cinematography was decent, the soundtrack was good, the two main plots were blended fairly well throughout, and the lead actress was very good. The scenes involving the ‘demon in the phone’ were disorienting and effective.
Old 10-08-19, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007
I think I've found my contender for worst movie of the challenge, although we are only a week into it, so we'll see. But, this was awful in every aspect. It's the most "70's movie made in the 80's" I have ever seen. And not the good 70's horror movies like Halloween or Black Christmas. This was "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" bad. Actually, it was worse. I'm actually kind of offended this was made.
I figured this flick would be divisive but damn.
Old 10-08-19, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

It’s all in the little moments. The endless montages set to an admittedly catchy soundtrack, the “should have been cut, if shot at all” scenes like when Alicia sets her clock, our heroine demanding to know how her twin sister “got the number” for her apartment, the guy who ends every conversation with “See ya bye!” (he practically melds it into one syllable), the Hawaiian-shirt wearing cop with an affinity for grinders (the film’s best line: his partner’s sad observation that “those four girls will never enjoy another grinder again”) and who occasionally speaks directly at the camera to... someone (us?), or the old man who bookends the film, resulting in a finale that was so baffling and incomplete, I had no choice but to stand up and applaud.
Horror Movie A Day: Disconnected (1983)

No applause but I do appreciate it's indie feel and the little moments. The reveal of Franklin in bed early on was truly .
Old 10-09-19, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

WTF. We really need the people who pick the movies of the day to tell us why they torment the board sometimes. Half this movie made no sense. The random band(s). The ending. I want my time back....
Old 10-09-19, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor
...The scenes involving the ‘demon in the phone’ were disorienting and effective.
Is that what the phone stuff was? I couldn't tell if they were implying she was so damaged by death around her she became psychotic or if she was so alienated she was tormented by what communication was around her. It flirts with being surreal but never seems to stick with me.
Old 10-09-19, 10:19 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b
WTF. We really need the people who pick the movies of the day to tell us why they torment the board sometimes. Half this movie made no sense. The random band(s). The ending. I want my time back....
At least Disconnected was a thousand times better than Boar and House of 1000 Corpses. What two bozos picked that crap?
Old 10-09-19, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like this movie a lot, but it's not something I would recommend to others. It requires a lot of patience, the first time I watched it, I hated the third act because the movie gets rid of the most interesting characters and you essentially have 25 minutes of Frances Raines drinking alone. However upon rewatches I've come to appreciate the slower pace of the third act, specifically the sequence of still photographs. I also didn't understand the phone thing on my first viewing. So I take it that the old man is some type of demon/spirit, or perhaps Death. At the beginning of the movie he's looking for Alicia's neighbor, she takes him in to her place to let him use the phone. After getting him some water he is gone. He somehow "enters" the phone and he's the cause of all the disturbing phone calls she's been getting. At the end of the movie she breaks the phone out of madness and he comes out of it to kill her. How does all that work? I have no idea, but I see him as some type of Grim Reaper character.

Other things I love about this movie: Frances Raines is really hot, the soundtrack is really cool, the detective character is amusing, the Franklin character is a very unique 'villain.' I like how he's a horrible murderer that's exceedingly polite and impossible to dislike. Anyone who enjoyed this film should check out Pyschos in Love, by the same director. It's a similar tone but even zanier and funny.
Old 10-09-19, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
At least Disconnected was a thousand times better than Boar and House of 1000 Corpses. What two bozos picked that crap?
Yeah, you might be the only one that thinks that lol. At least both the movies you just mentioned has at least one redeemable quality (Bill). Can't say that about Disconnected lol.

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
I also didn't understand the phone thing on my first viewing. So I take it that the old man is some type of demon/spirit, or perhaps Death. At the beginning of the movie he's looking for Alicia's neighbor, she takes him in to her place to let him use the phone. After getting him some water he is gone. He somehow "enters" the phone and he's the cause of all the disturbing phone calls she's been getting. At the end of the movie she breaks the phone out of madness and he comes out of it to kill her. How does all that work? I have no idea, but I see him as some type of Grim Reaper character.
You might have been the only one to connect those dots. I've read a few reviews (making sure I didn't miss something when watching) and nobody put it together like that. Interesting thought for sure.
Old 10-09-19, 06:33 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

I like the film and the effort put in by the film makers to do something experimental in the slasher genre. I did pick up that the old man is the grim reaper.

7/10
Old 10-10-19, 12:22 PM

Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

I enjoyed this one ONLY because it was a wallow in '80s nostalgia for me. That video store brought back memories of the first few video stores that I ever visited, and the electronics in the main character's living room took me right back to 1984. I think that our first VCR looked just like the one that was on the bottom of her pile of equipment.
Old 10-10-19, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
I like this movie a lot, but it's not something I would recommend to others. It requires a lot of patience, the first time I watched it, I hated the third act because the movie gets rid of the most interesting characters and you essentially have 25 minutes of Frances Raines drinking alone. However upon rewatches I've come to appreciate the slower pace of the third act, specifically the sequence of still photographs. I also didn't understand the phone thing on my first viewing. So I take it that the old man is some type of demon/spirit, or perhaps Death. At the beginning of the movie he's looking for Alicia's neighbor, she takes him in to her place to let him use the phone. After getting him some water he is gone. He somehow "enters" the phone and he's the cause of all the disturbing phone calls she's been getting. At the end of the movie she breaks the phone out of madness and he comes out of it to kill her. How does all that work? I have no idea, but I see him as some type of Grim Reaper character...
What is the significant, if any, of the repeating dance segments?
Old 10-10-19, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
What is the significant, if any, of the repeating dance segments?
Padding the film, I think. I'll have to think about it. I do think the film is more ambitious than a lot of viewers might believe on first viewing. The fact that Alicia has a twin sister that is a 180 of her own personality might speak to some sort of identity theme. When the sister goes to meet Franklin he think she is Alicia, perhaps a parallel to the fact that Alicia views Franklin as the nice guy she's always wanted(she breaks up with her boyfriend for cheating on her) but he is actually a murderer. So this could allude to how appearances can be deceiving. Perhaps the dance scenes serve as a contrast to how upside down her life will be by the third act.

One interesting thing is that in the dance scene at the beginning, Franklin can be scene at the bar impressing a girl(likely a future victim) with magic tricks..
Old 10-10-19, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrown498
I enjoyed this one ONLY because it was a wallow in '80s nostalgia for me. That video store brought back memories of the first few video stores that I ever visited, and the electronics in the main character's living room took me right back to 1984. I think that our first VCR looked just like the one that was on the bottom of her pile of equipment.
By virture of shooting in contemporary settings films like this make for nice time capsules of the past.