Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Boar" Reviews/Discussion - 2019 Horror Challenge

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-22-19, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Boar (2017)

Selected by Trevor

Spoiler:

IMDB ENTRY

SHUDDER

ALYXSTARR LINK

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2019 DISCUSSION | 2019 LISTS

Last edited by Chad; 10-20-19 at 03:40 PM.
Old 10-07-19, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: "Boar" Reviews/Discussion - 2019 Horror Challenge

I admired the sly comedy of Boar, from the title itself (perhaps a play on Bore) to the totally silly 'monster' with it's pig first person point of view. It's rare for horror comedies to be this deadpan and that works brilliantly staggering between semi-serious gorey carnage to playfully self aware humor that's never too out of the moment. Boar is a smart parody with competent staging and the outside scenes that feel cinematographic.

I appreciated what mostly seemed to be practical effects (and the CGI they did need was questionable).
I think I'm going to try making a ringtone out of the Boar squealing, that might be amusing.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-07-19 at 11:08 AM.
Old 10-07-19, 12:50 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 651 Likes on 436 Posts

I was pretty sure that this might be the first film we’ve selected where no one could find a positive, but I’m immediately wrong.
Old 10-07-19, 05:09 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I was pretty sure that this might be the first film we’ve selected where no one could find a positive, but I’m immediately wrong.
It sure had it's share of problems to the point I wasn't sure if some of that wasn't trying to be meta. The ever rotating mix of victims to the point it was hard to empathize with the already generic parade of characters seems like one that was unintentional.
Old 10-07-19, 09:29 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

A throwback to 70s "nature run amuck" monster movies. To say I loved it would be an understatement. Great acting, great story.

9/10
Old 10-08-19, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

Nathan Jones rapping along to Vanilla Ice. That's what I'll remember from this movie.
Old 10-08-19, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007
Nathan Jones rapping along to Vanilla Ice. That's what I'll remember from this movie.
Glad to see him working after leaving the WWE so many years ago. That was surprising and one of the bright spots in the film (other being Bill, of course). CGI was pretty bad, though, and it was hard to keep track of people (thought the camping couple was the boy and girl in the car with Bill).
Old 10-08-19, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 167 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007
Fair dinkum mate!
Originally Posted by jacob_b
(thought the camping couple was the boy and girl in the car with Bill).
I thought the same. Her listening to what was happening outside the tent was well done though, the movie going with subtle rather than obvious screaming and gnashing sounds.

With the time spent with the two arguing old men I thought they may end up saving the day... at the end too many characters and no one to root for.
Old 10-08-19, 12:21 PM

Received 210 Likes on 156 Posts

As I said in my mini-review in my list, I liked this film a lot better when I saw it thirty-five years ago and it was called Razorback. At least in that film, the giant boar wasn't able to sneak up on people like this one did. For the record, I HATED the Vanilla Ice scene. It felt like utter pandering to me. However, after reading Cow's comments, I now wonder if that was the director's intent so that he could make a sly comment on expectations in popular entertainment.

Nah, it was pandering.
Old 10-09-19, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

All Hail Boar! CGI Movies, Bow Down Before The True King!

I love these silly rampaging animal movies. I love them even more if they left the CGI to those silly monkey movies.

I believe I was destined to like this one, as I love the other rampaging outback menace movie, Razorback (1984). I figured this was just going to be a rehash of that classic, but I was wrong. I was surprised to see most everyone get waxed, and was a little disappointed to see the young son make it to the ending alive. This one had me completely fooled as to who would make it to the end, as most of the sympathetic characters were dispatched as quickly as I could empathize with them. Guts aside, I was hoping mom would get the axe, as she was a little hard on her brother for not doing enough to save his nephew.
Old 10-09-19, 01:16 PM

Received 492 Likes on 354 Posts

It was better than I expected. I thought the monster effects were really good. I didn't care about any of the characters. But I actually felt kinda sad for the giant pig at the end.
Old 10-09-19, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 183 Likes on 127 Posts

I wanted to like this one a lot more than I did. A giant boar wreaking havoc in the Outback? Should have been a recipe for success for me, but the execution just fell flat. I really appreciate that the crew tried to use practical effects whenever possible, but a lot of things didn't make sense. One scene shows the snout peaking into the frame, but why would the boar just stand there, inches away from his prey, when every other time in the movie he attacks immediately? It was done for suspense, but it took me out of the movie.

Blocking and editing were both confusing. At one point it seemed like the boyfriend was standing close to the family, but they couldn't hear him for some reason, then the boar comes out of nowhere to eat him, even though they were standing in an open field and everybody should have seen the boar. The Australian locals at the bar were the only characters that had any personality, the main family was boring and not compelling, so of course that's who the film follows for the most part.

A lot of these little things just kept adding up to the point where I just wanted the movie to end, I feel like the crew's heart was in the right place, they just couldn't pull it off competently.
Old 10-02-23, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 928 Likes on 567 Posts

I watched this movie right after watching Razorback last night and both seem to be coming from the same place. Both have tongues firmly planted in their cheeks and you even get a cameo from one of the actors from Razorback.

It was nice to see so many practical effects but there were times where it almost seemed too much, and the boar looked too fake. ThÝs is ironic since Razorback did the exact opposite and had too little of the boar onscreen. And man...when Boar tried to do CG, it was awful CG. Like laughable. The part where the kid gets scooped up and carried across the open field was hilarious...and possible intentionally so.

There was some great, practical gore but most all the characters were too bland or annoying and I was ready for them to die. Was actually sad that the younger boy didn't bite it, but whatever.

I still had fun with this one though. I looked it up and the writer/director did a movie before this called Charlie's Farm which was namechecked in Boar. I may have to check it out and it has much of the same cast.

My rating: *** out of *****