DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

DVD Talk reviews for Tuesday, September 3rd, 2019

Old 09-04-19, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Review DB

DVD Talk reviews for Tuesday, September 3rd, 2019

Recommended
Rocketman (Blu-ray)
by Ryan Keefer

The Movie:

Here's the thing about movies that are in a relatively untouched genre; a first attempt at one can be detrimental. Let's take the case of Bohemian Rhapsody. With an astonishing amount of critical praise, you wonder if those that voted on the awards ever actually SAW the thing, because it wasn't that good. It wasn't bad, just wasn't as good as people made it out to be. Such a movie like that, telling the story of Queen and frontman Freddie Mercury can have an adverse effect on subsequent films. You know that films made on other musicians of the time are going to get made now because they haven't been, so do people go out an ignore them because Rhapsody was average? I hope not.

Written by Lee Hall (Billy ElliotRead the entire review »

Rent It
Ma (Blu-ray)
by Adam Tyner

Oh, um, excuse me, ma'am. Uh, would you mind buying some booze for me and my friends? We've got money and everything.

[click on the thumbnail to enlarge]

Psssht. Ma (Octavia Spencer) won't just hook you high schoolers up with all the Fireball you can guzzle. I mean, she was young once, and she gets it: there's not a whole hell of a lot more to do in this one-Starbucks-town than get plastered. Still, if you're going to suck down liquor by the gallo...Read the entire review »

Skip It
Lock Up (Blu-ray)
by Ryan Keefer

The Movie:

I seem to remember at one point that after Sylvester Stallone had done the Rocky and Rambo movies that he wanted to broaden his acting range and was taking on, well, not necessarily daring material, but different in tone compared to those that had made him a ton of cash. That's where Lock Up comes into play.

Written by Richard Smith and Jeb Stuart, the latter of whom was part of the screenwriting team that did Die Hard, John Flynn (Best Seller) directed the film where Sly plays Frank Leone, a mechanic and inmate currently serving time in a low security prison. He is transferred to a maximum security, the work of a vengeful prison war...Read the entire review »

Target: Harry (Blu-ray)
by Stuart Galbraith IV

Target: Harry (1969) is probably the least-known movie directed by low-budget maverick Roger Corman, and with good reason. It was, apparently, filmed in 1967 as a TV-movie and television pilot for ABC. When that didn't sell, Corman and ABC's theatrical division conspired to issue it theatrically, albeit barely, with additional scenes shot by Corman associate Monte Hellman crudely inserted. Although Roger's brother Gene is billed as producer, Roger had his name taken off the film, the director credit reading "Henry Neill."

Despite exotic locales and a cast of talented, familiar actors, Target: Harry is quite bad, a warmed-over reworking of The Maltese Falcon, to the extent of featuring enormous Victor Buono channeling Sydney Greenstreet's "Fat Man" character from that classic. Even the last scene echoes the novel and John Huston's famous 1941 film.

Read the entire review »