Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk reviews for Monday, August 19th, 2019

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-19, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Review DB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DVD Talk Collector Series
Alice, Sweet Alice (Blu-ray)
<small>by Adam Tyner</small><hr />

Ugh, Karen (Brooke Shields). She got the good looks in the family. Everyone dotes on her seemingly without end. Hell, Karen's even about to receive First Communion &ndash; veil, gloves, dress, and all. It's an experience her older sister Alice (Paula Sheppard) was deprived of, thanks to the headaches of their Catholic parents' tumultuous divorce a few years back. On what's supposed to be among the most memorable days in her sister's life, Alice wastes no time seizing the spotlight for herself in front of the entire church, tongue out and waiting for that Eucharist. And Karen...?

Read the entire review »

L&#233;on Morin, Priest (Blu-ray)
<small>by Stuart Galbraith IV</small><hr />

Director Jean-Pierre Melville's two big preoccupations as a filmmaker were 1) crime films, adapting Hollywood-style noir but from an emphatically French perspective; and, 2) stories about the German Occupation of France during the war, particularly stories of the French R sistance, of which Melville had been a part.

L on Morin, Priest (L on Morin, pr tre, 1961) is set during the Occupation but the R sistance is mostly off on the sidelines. Instead, this adaptation of a 1952 novel by B atrix Beck, The Passionate Heart, is primarily concerned with religious faith. However, the wartime setting is vividly realized so that, despite its many talky scenes, it's quite engrossing nonetheless. Jean-Paul Belmondo (Breathless) and Emmanuelle Riva (Hiroshima mon amour), both near the beginning of their long careers, star.

Criterion had earlier released the film to Blu-ray, i...Read the entire review »

Highly Recommended
The Wild Heart / Gone to Earth (Blu-ray)
<small>by Stuart Galbraith IV</small><hr />

First things first: Kino's new Blu-ray has things backwards. They're calling it The Wild Heart, but the disc really should be marketed under its original title. Gone to Earth (1950), the original British release version of Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger's film, is far superior, yet on Kino's disc that cut is included as an special feature, not the default version. The Wild Heart is the American release version, heavily cut with additional scenes and narration added at co-producer David O. Selznick's insistence, the new footage filmed under the supervision of director Rouben Mamoulian. Selznick's minor changes to, say, the American release version of The Third Man (1949) don't really hurt that film and in some ways arguably help (I prefer Joseph Cotten's narration to director Carol Reed's), but Selznick's changes to Gone to Earth are positively ruinous.

So, i...Read the entire review »

Recommended
Cold Pursuit (4K Ultra HD) (Blu-ray)
<small>by William Harrison</small><hr />

THE FILM:

There are few certainties in life absent death, taxes and the realization that one does not fuck with Liam Neeson's family. Norwegian film director Hans Petter Moland makes his American debut with Cold Pursuit, a darkly comedic thriller and remake of his 2014 film In Order of Disappearance. Neeson plays Nels Coxman, a snowplow operator in fictional Kehoe, Colorado, who is named "Citizen of the Year" on the same night his son Kyle (Micheal Richardson) dies from a forced heroin overdose from members of a Denver drug cartel. Despondent, Nels considers taking his own life before deciding to avenge his son's murder. He seeks advice from his brother and former mob enforcer Brock (William Forsythe), who sends him on a bloody path toward cartel drug lord Trevor "Viking" Cal...Read the entire review »

Rent It
South Park: The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
<small>by Ryan Keefer</small><hr />

The Movie:

Dang, they still do South Park? It's not that I thought they disappeared from existence or whatever, I just have drifted away from a lot of my pre-father things, and thing being among them. Sure, I still enjoy Team America as much as the next person, but that's been a decade and a half ago, and I honestly thought they stopped doing them. But when you can bring in guys like Josh Gad (Frozen) and Peter Serafinowicz (Spy) as consultants, filling the role that Bill Hader (Barry) appeared to once hold, it keeps things light I suppose.

The show brings back the foul mouthed Kyle, Stan, Cartman and muffled Kenny for their...Read the entire review »