DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

DVD Talk reviews for Monday, July 1st, 2019

Old 07-02-19, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Review DB

DVD Talk reviews for Monday, July 1st, 2019

Highly Recommended
Bandolero! (Blu-ray)
by Stuart Galbraith IV

Bandolero! (1968) never makes lists of the all-time great Westerns, but it is vastly underappreciated. A big, expensive studio film starring James Stewart, Dean Martin, and Raquel Welch, and directed by Andrew V. McLaglen, Bandolero! was the type of mainstream Western gradually falling out of favor as Spaghetti Westerns like Sergio Leone's The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly came into prominence, while the abandonment of the long out-of-date Production Code was giving way to a more permissive ratings system that would soon bring about revisionist Westerns like Sam Peckinpah's The Wild Bunch (1969).

The big studios didn't adjust to these changes well. For instance, when Clint Eastwood returned from Italy to star in Hang Em High (also 1968), that film adopted a clumsy, pseudo-Spaghetti style that didn't work. Bandolero!, on the other hand, was a rare exception to ...Read the entire review »

Recommended
FM (Blu-ray)
by Jesse Skeen

Time to rejoice, for 1978's FM is on Blu-Ray. This was one of those movies whose 2-record soundtrack album might be better known than the movie itself, and the headache of legal clearances has made it hard to find on home video. While it was announced for release on MCA's DiscoVision laserdisc label in that format's infancy, it never appeared on any home format until late 1991 (on VHS panned and scanned from its 2.35 ratio, but also on laserdisc in letterbox format- one release that convinced me to finally buy into that format soon afterwards.) It later showed up on DVD courtesy of Anchor Bay, but a large number of those discs rotted and no longer play- as I discovered when checking a friend's copy. The movie did however appear a few times on TV, showing up in the 80s i...Read the entire review »

Rent It
Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In: The Complete Fourth Season
by Jesse Skeen

Well, I guess I had to see it to believe it. After reviewing Time-Life's set of Laugh-In's third season, where all 26 episodes were affected by a serious mastering error, I didn't think the problem would have carried over to any of the other sets. In this set of the fourth season with 26 more episodes from the show's 1970-71 season, ONE episode (#22) seems to have come out right but the remaining 25 are still afflicted. I'll talk more about that in the quality section, but first a bit about the show itself:

Dan Rowan and Dick Martin still haven't let up by this point, continuing the show's mostly anarchic format that filled an hour-long slot each week when network TV...Read the entire review »