DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

DVD Talk reviews for Thursday, February 7th, 2019

Old 02-08-19, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Review DB

DVD Talk reviews for Thursday, February 7th, 2019

Highly Recommended
Audition (Blu-ray)
by Ian Jane

The Movie:

Takashi Miike has made some amazingly good films, and he's had a few stinkers too, but regardless of how you feel about the majority of the output from one of Japan's most prolific directors, it's pretty hard to deny the power and the sheer slickness of what is still probably his best-known film to date, Audition.

Aoyama (Ryo Ishibashi) has recently lost his wife. Now a single father, he spends much of his time at work but one thing is very obvious - he's lonely. Soon though, his son and his co-workers and even his maid all encourage him to start looking for another wife to fill the void left in his life. He's unsure of himself, however, and isn't exactly the type of guy to go out and hit the clubs to pick up chicks. He's rather shy and more than a little awkward around the fairer sex so his friend, a producer at the TV station where he works, comes up with the i...Read the entire review »

Recommended
Bent (Blu-ray)
by Olie Coen

Director: Sean Mathias
Starring: Clive Owen, Lothaire Bluteau, Brian Webber
Year: 1997

Sean Mathias directed one feature film, Bent, and what a way to come in/go out. We've seen countless Holocaust stories turned into movies, both unbearable truth and shocking fiction, and we'll see countless more; Hollywood knows that it's a genre that stirs us into action and that we've shown no signs of giving up on supporting. And I don't fault audiences for that; this era is definitely history we dare not forget, and I applaud directors for keeping it in focus, no matter how many times they go back to the well or how easy it may be to elicit emotion from these tales. But Mathias brings us something we think we understand from a d...Read the entire review »