DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

DVD Talk reviews for Tuesday, February 5th, 2019

Old 02-06-19, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Review DB

DVD Talk reviews for Tuesday, February 5th, 2019

Recommended
Sisters: The Criterion Collection (Blu-ray)
by Thomas Spurlin

The Film:

While Brian De Palma directed several features before Sisters, it's the earliest of his works where the brazen, darkly comedic tension he's become known for took shape, which also announced his arrival in the suspense-horror genre. Afterwards, his viewpoint has come back numerous times to bleak, fanatical psychosis and physical abnormalities, as well as playful experimentation with the visual language of suspense through perspective and deception, little of which could've been as effective without figuring out what works and what doesn't. Sisters remains enough of an effective, unnerving thriller after nearly a half-decade of superior films cutting into the genre, yet its strength lies in how it embodies the tricks that De Palm...Read the entire review »

Rent It
Deadpool 2: Once Upon a Deadpool (Blu-ray)
by Ryan Keefer

The Movie:

I've generally been off of films from the Marvel/Disney and DC/Warner production houses (I think the last film that included a superhero of some sort was Justice League almost a year ago), maybe because of a change of life priorities or whatnot, but I just can't get into them the way I may have before. And when Deadpool came out I enjoyed their winking about things going on both on and off screen relating to comic book blockbuster films. I saw the first in the theater and I think I saw the second there as well, even knowing that it would be more of the same. And I think we may even be a saturation point on those with the release of Once Upon a Deadpool, a PG-13 cut of the sequel that was released last summer.

Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick ...Read the entire review »