Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk reviews for Tuesday, December 4th, 2018

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-18, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Review DB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Highly Recommended
The 12th Man (Blu-ray)
<small>by Olie Coen</small><hr />

Director: Harald Zwart
Starring: Thomas Gullestad, Jonathan Rhys Meyers
Year: 2017

You wouldn't expect a potential contender for a Best Foreign Film nomination at the Academy Awards to be directed by the guy who brought us One Night at McCool's, Agent Cody Banks, Pink Panther 2, The Karate Kid, and Mortal Instruments, but here we are. Harald Zwart returns to his Norwegian roots with a movie to leave all his other crappy attempts at cinema in the dust, a true story to make us forget the sins he committed in Hollywood and assuredly vows never to repeat as long as we all shall live, amen. I joke, but it's shocking the drastic change between this director's previous style and this current offering, a film that has '...Read the entire review »

Some Like It Hot (Blu-ray)
<small>by Francis Rizzo III</small><hr />

<style></style>

In 10 Words or Less
Guys in dresses on the run from the mob

Reviewer's Bias*
Loves: The Criterion Collection, Billy Wilder films
Dislikes: Feeli...Read the entire review »

The Good Fight - Season Two
<small>by Stuart Galbraith IV</small><hr />

The excellent television legal drama The Good Fight returns for its second season on DVD, the series already having been renewed for a third one next year.

As I explained in my review of Season One, my wife, Yukiyo, was a binge-watching fan of The Good Wife, the 2009-2016 legal drama that had preceded it, the series starring Julianna Margulies. On her days off from work her eyes would be glued to her laptop for hours, watching five or six episodes, one after the other. I only caught bits and pieces of that show, but then the first year of The Good Fight fell into our unloved DVD screener pool and I grabbed it, mainly so that she could watch it.

I'm glad now that I did, because The Good Fight turned out to be a very smart and even boldly political series exploring controversial, ripped-from-the-headlines topics in the Trump era. The very first shot of the first first-se...Read the entire review »

Recommended
MacGyver: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
<small>by Randy Miller III</small><hr />

Forgive the brevity on this one...but with a show like Lee David Zlotof's MacGyver (1985-93), what you see is what you get. Almost immediately popular with audiences for its international locales, adventure, and the undeniable charisma of star Richard Dean Anderson, this series served as the lead-in for ABC's Monday Night Football during six of its seven seasons and is still firmly anchored in American pop culture. Even if you've never sat through a single episode, you've likely heard the phrase named after its main character: MacGyver is synonymous with using creative, resourceful solutions ...Read the entire review »

Rent It
Black to the Future
<small>by Francis Rizzo III</small><hr />

<style></style>

In 10 Words or Less

Nothing is less funny than pre-2016 election comedy

Reviewer's Bias*

Loves: Stand-up comics
Dislikes: Late-career comics
...Read the entire review »