Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"The Whip and the Body" Reviews/Discussion - 2022 Horror Challenge

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-22, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

La frusta e il corpo
The Whip and the Body (1963)

Selected by Darkgod

Additional Posters:
Spoiler:

IMDB ENTRY

SHUDDER

KANOPY

THE COMPLETE STREAMING GUIDE INCLUDING AD-SUPPORTED SERVICES

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2022 DISCUSSION | 2022 LISTS

Last edited by Chad; 09-26-22 at 09:33 PM.
Old 10-16-22, 02:37 PM

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Re: "The Whip and the Body" Reviews/Discussion - 2022 Horror Challenge

I decided to rewatch this today to check off the subset list box because I just saw Flesh for Frankenstein in May.

The Whip and the Body is a movie I've seen before, but it's been a few years. It's a fairly unremarkable Euro gothic horror potboiler except for the unusual inclusion of S&M elements and how dark Christopher Lee's character is. There's a bit of a whodunnit element as Lee's character seems to come back from the dead to haunt the household. Or.... does he?

More atmospheric than anything, this is a good Halloween film to play in the background while doing something else. Doesn't take a lot of focus and isn't hard to follow. 3/5 stars since I like the gothic atmosphere.
Old 10-16-22, 02:50 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

I think this is a masterpiece by Mario Bava. The cinematography is incredible, the music is perfect and the gothic atmosphere is second to none. Chris Lee and Daliah Lavi are outstanding.
10/10
The following users liked this post:
Undeadcow (10-16-22)
Old 10-16-22, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by numbercrunch
I think this is a masterpiece by Mario Bava. The cinematography is incredible, the music is perfect and the gothic atmosphere is second to none. Chris Lee and Daliah Lavi are outstanding.
10/10
The scene on the beach with the sun set against the dark sky was impressive. I enjoyed this one for all the points mentioned.
Old 10-16-22, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 826 Likes on 547 Posts

I was initially taken aback by Christopher Lee’s dubbing. That voice is so iconic. This was a decent enough Bava film.
Old 10-16-22, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,077 Likes on 652 Posts

Halfway through I thought I had stumbled into an old gothic episode of Days Of Our Lives. Very soap-opera-esque. Definitely not my thing.

Great atmosphere but with an uninteresting story. Atmosphere will only get you so far. I was pretty dang bored even with Lee in it.

The soap opera score was the most positive thing I got out of it.

My rating: * out of *****
Old 10-17-22, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Yes, I think this is one of Bava's best. The 'lovers' theme was getting old by the end. Yes, it was a shame no to have the Lee dubbing, even with the guy sounding like him at times.
Old 10-18-22, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

The Whip & The Body is supremely atmospheric with eerie music and sound cues. The long shots down hallways rich in shadow and quiet anticipation elevated by gushing wind with haunting melodies are outstanding.
The love triangle necessary to justify the plot is a stretch and perhaps the film's weakest aspect which might contribute to some of the complaints about melodrama.
Despite the dubbing Christopher Lee has a commanding presence that helps sell the plot; and it might not hurt the S&M themes that the other actors are more sheepish.
Daliah Lavi is excellent but she seem sometimes seems fickle and caught up in the least convincing marriage ever; women roles in the 60s.
I love how open ended the ending is - it seems to suggest the murderer but never really rules out the possibility of supernatural; or that if it is a haunting it's a psychological one.
Originally Posted by numbercrunch
10/10
This.
Old 10-29-22, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

This was my first time watching this. I really liked it. The visuals and atmosphere were rich, but I will agree that this could come off more soap opera at times. I'm sure the S&M elements made this film seem even more lurid in its time.

I never really got used to the Lee dubbing. It's really a shame that he didn't contribute an audio track. That's the main reason I stick with the English-language Black Sabbath. I know the Italian version is considered superior, but how could I not hear Karloff? It would be too distracting to hear any other voice come from him. It was a similar case here. I'm not saying the voice actor didn't do a good job; it's just a tall order to replace Lee's voice.