Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Inside" Reviews/Discussion - 2018 Horror Challenge

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-18, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Inside (2007)

Selected by Bladz

Spoiler:

IMDB ENTRY

ALYXSTARR LINK

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2018 DISCUSSION | 2018 LISTS

Last edited by Chad; 10-15-18 at 06:55 PM.
Old 10-13-18, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: "Inside" Reviews/Discussion - 2018 Horror Challenge

Inside is an effective and well executed thriller pulling on parental fears and home invasion elements. There is good tension and it doesn't shy away from gore, it is relentlessly bleak in color tone and in theme. What really 'makes' Inside imo is the cool reserve of the invader, she's bathed in shadows and has a near clinical reserve about the attack. I dont think Ill be able to look at scissore the same way again.

Inside might have the least effective opening 'hook' with the now horribly dated CGI baby and the most disproportionately violent car crash. The car is mostly intact except for fender and windowshield, both seem to have their seatbelts on and are in their seats, but they've practically been skinned alive. The gore parade over the credits is squeamish and becomes more effective. This is my third time viewing Inside and I remember it feeling much more intense during those opening moments.

There are a few elements that are awkward that look cool but don't make sense when you think about it - who wears a super long dress to a baby kidnapping? Looks eerie but not the smartest wardrobe and borders on parody. There are time the gore is too over the top, like when she's spitting a tooth into the bathroom sink or how totally covered the bathroom and her gown is in bloodsplatter - I'm not sure the violence we have seen always matches the after effect but it sure it effective at looming gnarly and helping the tension.

Dimension 'EXTREME' has got to be the cheesiest studio label ever, like they think horror fans are some sort of 90s skateboarding groupies.

Great subset choice, Inside is a nearly a modern classic that has gotten some acclaim but is too often overlooked. I remember when it came out it just sort of popped up on home video with a horrible looking cover art.

Suggesting adoption here.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-13-18 at 10:18 AM.
Old 10-13-18, 01:47 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Well shot and acted, great story, glad I saw it once. Will never watch again.
Old 10-13-18, 04:23 PM

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts

Too gnarly for me. I don't mind angst/gore but I prefer a story with it, and some lighter beats to clear the head. This film is just dark, dark, dark, dark, unrelenting pain/torture/dark. Not my cup of tea. I can see where it would be appreciated by some though. It's certainly tense/scary enough! And very well made.
Old 10-13-18, 05:29 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

First time watch for me. A brutal, riveting gore fest.
10/10
Old 10-13-18, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

"I didn't know there were any survivors," might be the best line I've heard all month. It's kind of a shame the movie goes on to explain that the invader really was in the crash because it would have been creepy if even there she wasn't who she said she was.

I watched the remake - it tones down the gore and is more emotional; the remake lead is a bit more 'whiny' and some of the elements that made the original great suffer but the remake is probably worth a watch and it does have some elements that are different, like the ending or the invader being more scientific.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-13-18 at 08:48 PM.
Old 10-14-18, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

This is the second viewing this month where the attacker is a woman going after the other woman who has a baby due to a car crash that resulted in the baby's death of attacker from woman being attacked. Granted, this movie did come out first. Love the use of basic objects. Do like to know the motive of a killer. My issue here is the criminal (or police officer?) attacking the baby at the last ten minutes...why? That was a bit much. And then even worse, the cutting of the stomach and watching all that blood just go down. With the way the stomach is cut and all that blood, how does someone not go in shock and pass out? The baby take some brutal hits and it came out ok? Last 10 minutes just do not seem realistic at all.
Old 10-15-18, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Jesus Christ.
Old 10-15-18, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Not my cup of tea.
Old 10-16-18, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Vive la France! You really gotta love the French. They can really ratchet up the brutality in everything.

I'll start with a confession.... I wasn't paying too much attention and watched about 40minutes of the 2016 remake. We were about half way through when my wife inquired about the actual theme for the day. I assumed it was pregnancy horror or something, then I looked it up. European Passport to Terror! That didn't make too much sense, as these two chicks were about as 'American' as apple pie. After some internet sleuthing, we decided to stop and watch the correct film. I just finished up the remake today....

I've got to say, I really liked the original much more. There was plenty of gore out the door with the original, and the remake was a really slick thriller. It seemed they jettisoned the CGI baby entirely, and that was a good thing. It just didn't work for me either, but I really liked the idea of the accident occurring from the baby's POV. I felt it was a really neat concept, but just CGI executed poorly.

In the remake, the thief induced with an Oxytocin drip, and I though that was a really interesting move. Not only was the mother fighting against a crazy woman, but she was fighting against a pregnancy which was now induced. It served to heighten the tension.

In the original, the overly large and shiny scissors were the belle at the ball; hacking and stabbing there way from one obstacle to the next! It just never let up.

I thought the most comedic moment in the original was when the arrested 'protestor' was somehow deputized, armed and lead around on a leash....

Not a bad movie at all!

I would also like to add that the endings were COMPLETELY different, and the bad taste of the remake is going to stick around for awhile.

Last edited by WillieMLF; 10-17-18 at 01:37 PM.
Old 10-28-18, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

One thing I like about participating in the subset is that there are always some titles that I've meant to watch for a long time but just hadn't. This is another one of those movies, and it has been one of the highlights of the challenge for me.

Once the action gets going, the movie is pretty brutal and unrelenting. It was one of the only movies this month that got a real reaction from me. I was actually squirming and talking to the screen. The villain was great. I loved how cold she was even as she was still a little unhinged.

There were some plot issues that bothered me. The cop had time to handcuff the suspect to him but not call ahead that shots were fired? Regarding the blinded cop, I understand that he couldn't see so didn't know he was wildly flailing in the direction of the pregnant lady, but how was he able to find the breaker box and reset it? Those points in particular bothered me but not enough to spoil it.

The version linked in this thread is 5 minutes shorter than the IMDB runtime. Dare I ask if there's a longer version of this film.