DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Reviews and Recommendations (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations-8/)
-   -   "Train to Busan" Reviews/Discussion - 2017 Horror Challenge (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations/641498-train-busan-reviews-discussion-2017-horror-challenge.html)

Chad 09-24-17 11:59 PM

"Train to Busan" Reviews/Discussion - 2017 Horror Challenge

<BR>
<table border="30"><tr>
<td bgcolor=#000000>
Train to Busan (2016)

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...y.jpg~original

Selected by arw6040

</tr></td></table>

IMDB ENTRY

ON NETFLIX

ALYXSTARR LINK

ALYXSTARR LINK ~ ENGLISH LANGUAGE DUB

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

<table border="25"><tr>
<td bgcolor=#000000>
S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y
<td bgcolor=#76eec6>

<table border="5"><tr>
<td bgcolor=#2F4F4F>http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...kSmallLogo.jpg
</tr></td></table>
<table border="5"><tr>
<td bgcolor=#2F4F4F>http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...rSmallLogo.jpg
</tr></td></table>
<table border="5"><tr>
<td bgcolor=#2F4F4F>http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...c.jpg~original
</tr></td></table>
<table border="5"><tr>
<TD BGCOLOR=#000000>http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...d.jpg~original</tr></td></table>

<td bgcolor=#000000>
S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

</tr></td></table>

2017 DISCUSSION | 2017 LISTS
<BR>

Gobear 10-06-17 08:51 AM

Re: "Train to Busan" Reviews/Discussion - 2017 Horror Challenge

I watched this last year for the challenge and loved it! Easily one of the best zombie movies I've seen in a long time.

FYI, the movie poster above says (above the title)"First ever disaster blockbuster", and the slogan is "If you want to get out, ride the KTX (South Korea's bullet train) to Busan!" Busan is South Korea's second-largest city, located on the south-east coast, about 3 hours by bullet train from Seoul.

tripplej 10-06-17 09:02 AM

I will have to check this one out. Thanks.

Trevor 10-06-17 09:51 AM

The animated prequel is on Shudder now.

arw6040 10-06-17 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 13174549)

Hope whoever watches this enjoys it :) too bad it wasn't on there on the animated theme day. Keep an eye out for the funny looking animated crying moments from people haha.

WillieMLF 10-06-17 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 13174549)

Darn missed it. May try and dig it up.

Trevor 10-07-17 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by WillieMLF (Post 13175165)
Darn missed it. May try and dig it up.

Missed it? It's still there.

WillieMLF 10-08-17 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 13175270)
Missed it? It's still there.

I'm about half way through, and it's keeping my attention. Really looking forward to Busan tomorrow.

MysterioMan007 10-08-17 10:45 AM

Best zombie movie in a long time. Intense!

Trevor 10-08-17 11:26 AM

Best new action horror I've seen in awhile, a great ride!

Gobear 10-08-17 03:09 PM

There's also some domestic political commentary in the movie. The section in the film where the government announces that they have the zombie outbreak under control is a satirical reference to former president Park Gun-Hye's incompetent response to the 2014 sinking of the Sewol, a disaster that killed nearly 300 people and shattered the nation's confidence in its government.

numbercrunch 10-08-17 03:30 PM

I have now watched this one five times since last October. I enjoy it each time, but it seems more and more like an Asian retelling of 28 Days Later.

shellebelle 10-08-17 04:17 PM

This was probably one of the best films I've seen so far. Really enjoyed it.

Gobear 10-08-17 04:40 PM

I needed to pick some electronics gear at Best Buy today, so I bought this and The Girl With All the Gifts, another great zombie movie, as well.

The Girl With All the Gifts is available on Amazon Prime, and it would be a great choice for the zombie theme. It's based on a novel in which most of the human race has been wiped out by a fungal infection that turns people into flesh-eating zombies, but there is a twist. It's every bit as good as Train to Busan, and at its heart it's also a story about love and family.

omike 10-08-17 05:32 PM

I just finished watching this and I have to agree this is a great movie. The action was intense and I really got to like our little band of survivors and felt bad when they got turned. I haven't kept up with modern zombie movies so I don't know if this is typical but I also liked the quick, jerky movements of the zombies.

WillieMLF 10-08-17 05:57 PM

I've probably seen this four times since last year's challenge. I have not really tired of it, and it's got some great visuals. Someone on the board mentioned they were going to rate the movies as to whether they would survive. I'm afraid I wouldn't have made it the first 15 minutes. I managed to watch the 'prequel' last night. I wasn't fascinated, but it put me in the mood for today's theme.

arw6040 10-08-17 06:42 PM

Enjoyed reading people's comments so far. I had heard excellent things going into it but had no clue it would be this great. It managed to make me tear up twice (which almost never happens for me as I really got attached to the characters), does a great job of making you feel immersed in this environment, and kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time. I also agree with WillieMLF the visuals are amazing & really stood out when I was watching. I also doubt I would survive very long, yikes.

Originally Posted by Gobear (Post 13176297)
I needed to pick some electronics gear at Best Buy today, so I bought this and The Girl With All the Gifts, another great zombie movie, as well.

The Girl With All the Gifts is available on Amazon Prime, and it would be a great choice for the zombie theme. It's based on a novel in which most of the human race has been wiped out by a fungal infection that turns people into flesh-eating zombies, but there is a twist. It's every bit as good as Train to Busan, and at its heart it's also a story about love and family.

I am probably going to watch this movie today too :), if not will as soon as possible but my boyfriend saw this recently & recommended it to me - he's pretty picky with horror movies & your recommendation sounds great too. Interesting regarding the political commentary in Train To Busan as well.

rbrown498 10-08-17 06:55 PM

I love this film, and my love for it grows every time I see it.

Just wondering...did anyone happen to catch what the cause of the zombie outbreak was? It's subtle, but it's in there.

3onameathook 10-08-17 07:26 PM

As everyone has said this is the best Zombie flick to come along in recent years. this thing has a little bit of everything that makes it highly entertaining. I will admit that I was expecting a different ending from what they presented, but I'm sure they have an alternate ending on either the dvd or floating around out there somewhere. I will be watching this one again for years come.

DaveyJoe 10-08-17 08:22 PM

This movie is terrible publicity for the South Korean rail system.

arw6040 10-08-17 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by rbrown498 (Post 13176447)
Just wondering...did anyone happen to catch what the cause of the zombie outbreak was? It's subtle, but it's in there.

I think something to do with Seok-Woo's company that he works for? Was he on the phone trying to tell the guy from his office at the beginning of the movie he tried to pressure to do his job well that it wasn't his fault to be nice? I admit I could have been paying better attention during those scenes.

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe (Post 13176532)
This movie is terrible publicity for the South Korean rail system.

:lol:

DaveyJoe 10-08-17 09:42 PM

This COO is the BIGGEST PRICK in horror movie history!

DaveyJoe 10-08-17 10:11 PM

I'm not crying. It's just been raining... On my face.

Undeadcow 10-08-17 11:10 PM

The training moving with the chaos is a really cool effect, seeing the perpetual motion outside. I loved the gnarly zombie transformations and these undead could twitch with the best of them; I loved the way they swarmed.

Homemade tape armor... I'm writing that one down.

The jerk businessman on the train... I think if he told everyone I was infected, I would have just casually bit him on the ear (during the scene earlier in the movie) - imagine the trouble that would have saved. It's kind of interesting how in supernatural movies like this shoehorn in the human bad guy.

outcastjon 10-08-17 11:58 PM

JUst when you think they can't do anything different in the zombie genre, this comes along. This movie was so good and just the fact that a horror film caused me to choke-up at the end is amazing on itself. This will be re-watched.