Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Friday the 13th Part 2" Reviews/Discussion - 2017 Horror Challenge

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-24-17, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Friday the 13th Part 2 (1981)

Selected by tarfrimmer

Spoiler:

IMDB ENTRY

ON PRIME

ALYXSTARR LINK

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2017 DISCUSSION | 2017 LISTS

Last edited by Chad; 09-30-17 at 01:38 PM.
Old 10-03-17, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: "Friday the 13th Part 2" Reviews/Discussion - 2017 Horror Challenge

Watched this tonight and I remember really enjoying watching at the Friday the 13th movies back to back a few years ago because of the mythology that builds between them. Part 2 really kicks things off with some genius moves building on the kid from the first movie and with the severed head. I remember the NES Friday the 13th game and how finding the mother's head was the 'holy grail' of hidden powerups because she dropped powerful items. The sack head covering and pitchfork are so iconic. It's a little disappointing that the sole survivor of the first film is so quickly dispatched at the beginning here and her traumatic anxiety seems like it would have been a ripe addition more into the movie. A few years ago I rated F13 2 a '3 out of 10' and still don't find myself being a big fan, it's slow in the middle and the child psychology part is a little lame. It seems like the movie is still trying to be a mystery but the franchise legacy has dulled some of the surprise. The slow motion Jason attacks are unintentionally funny. F13 2 looks really great in high definition, that's an impressive restoration.

I think I've only ever watched the R rated cut but I doubt the 'uncut' edition adds much more.

Edit: Wanted to add that I'm a big fan of the F13 movies from the Tommy Jarvis trilogy beyond (mostly); I re-watched F13 VII: The New Blood and that one rocks.

Spoiler:

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-13-17 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-13-17, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Just started this one. I'm not entirely sure if I've ever seen this one, but it started pretty well. Within the first five minutes:
Spoiler:
the 'heroine' from the first film is dispatched with an ice pick. Sweet!

Oh man, there's a dude in a wheelchair! This isn't going to end well.
Spoiler:
It's a pity he was dispatched before he got laid.

Last edited by WillieMLF; 10-13-17 at 11:53 AM.
Old 10-13-17, 02:47 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Girl looking for her wheelchair bound beau. Can't find him so the very first place she looks is upstairs? Yeah, I'm thinking she won't survive.
Old 10-13-17, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
Girl looking for her wheelchair bound beau. Can't find him so the very first place she looks is upstairs? Yeah, I'm thinking she won't survive.
LOL, I didn't get that and got a good laugh out of that one.
Old 10-13-17, 04:05 PM

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

This might be my favorite F13 film.
Old 10-13-17, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

For anyone who's interested, Life and Death on the A-List is a documentary about Tom McBride, the hunk in the wheelchair, who died of AIDS in 1995.
Old 10-13-17, 06:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alice deserved what she got because of what she did in the first one, but Jason could have waited until the cat got fed

and what happened to Muffin? Girl is calling for Paul and Muffin isn't even given a thought? This movie is rough on the animals

I'm not even going to mention the poor mutilated animal they found at Camp Crystal Lake

Old 10-13-17, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

I probably like the first four films the best. I would say the second is okay but not my favorite. I like that it introduces Jason as the killer and Ginny as the heroine is one of the better lead girls in the films. The end is good with her putting on Mrs. Voorhees' sweater and tricking Jason. I don't like bag head Jason though and some of the other characters aren't great (by horror movie standards). The third and fourth overall feel more entertaining to me.
Old 10-13-17, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It has been such a long time since I've seen any of these Friday the 10th films, it's got me thinking about revisiting some of these. I'm under the impression that the blu set is OOP and going for BIG bucks at the various marketplaces. Even this set seems to have issues. Is there any word on another release?
Old 10-13-17, 10:38 PM

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

I like baghead Jason. I find the one visible eye look to be creepy.
Old 10-13-17, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

I think Part 2 is better than the original, but my favorites are Jason Lives and The Final Chapter. I think this one is probably my third favorite in the series. Paul and Ginny were pretty good characters and the campfire scene is the most memorable to me. While the original had a certain charm, this is where things got interesting to me.
Old 10-14-17, 11:31 AM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

I love "tator sack" jason!. I think it ranks as one of the few sequels that is better than the original.
Old 10-14-17, 11:36 AM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Gobear
For anyone who's interested, Life and Death on the A-List is a documentary about Tom McBride, the hunk in the wheelchair, who died of AIDS in 1995.
very cool. thanks for uploading that.
Old 10-15-17, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Gobear
Yes, thanks Gobear. I have this in my queue for after the challenge. I really do want to see this one.
Old 10-15-17, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

The second film is definitely one of the standouts in the franchise. I always thought that the potato sack look was far creepier, and I think this film features one of the best final girls. I also appreciate how there was some slight attempt attempt at continuity before they ended up throwing it all away. This Jason was smaller and seemed potentially more vulnerable. He wasn't the lumbering unstoppable force that he would turn into. There's something to be said for that version of Jason, but I just prefer this one.
Old 10-15-17, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by 3onameathook
and what happened to Muffin? Girl is calling for Paul and Muffin isn't even given a thought? This movie is rough on the animals
The cut-shot from Muffin running into Jason the hot dogs on the grill never fails to make me laugh

I like to think Muffin is ok in the end. If she can survive walking right up to Jason's feet she can survive anything. I like to think that Jason can't resist Muffin's cuteness, and gives her a little cuddle before continuing on his way to kill more counselors.
Old 10-15-17, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Friend of mine was new to the series and was upset when she realized Jason might kill the wheel chair guy. She couldn't believe this movie would be so cruel to a disabled character. When he rolled down the stairs she fell out of her seat laughing.
Old 10-15-17, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Friend of mine was new to the series and was upset when she realized Jason might kill the wheel chair guy. She couldn't believe this movie would be so cruel to a disabled character. When he rolled down the stairs she fell out of her seat laughing.
I have the more extreme situation. I used to know someone who got visibly upset when an animal was in danger, regardless of the human body count. I think we were watching Independence Day, and the lab was running from the fire consuming thousands of humans.
Old 10-21-17, 12:39 AM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by WillieMLF
I have the more extreme situation. I used to know someone who got visibly upset when an animal was in danger, regardless of the human body count. I think we were watching Independence Day, and the lab was running from the fire consuming thousands of humans.
The wheelchair kill is one of the more iconic kills in the franchise.
creative and obviously extremely comical lol.
Old 11-01-17, 05:16 AM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mallratcal
This might be my favorite F13 film.
I've always had a massive soft spot for part 3, but the first 4 parts are fabulous.