Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Day of the Dead" Reviews/Discussion - 2017 Horror Challenge

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-24-17, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Day of the Dead (1985)

Selected by The Man with the
Golden Doujinshi

Spoiler:

IMDB ENTRY

ON SHUDDER

ALYXSTARR LINK

ALYXSTARR LINK ~ ROMERO/SAVINI/CARDILLE/ANDERSON COMMENTARY

ALYXSTARR LINK ~ ROGER AVARY COMMENTARY

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2017 DISCUSSION | 2017 LISTS

Last edited by Chad; 10-10-17 at 12:10 AM.
Old 10-21-17, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: "Day of the Dead" Reviews/Discussion - 2017 Horror Challenge

I enjoy Day of the Dead and it's a smart continuation of the series (Dawn of the Dead was such an epic movie it's hard to follow). The mine environment is a great idea but it's also so devoid of life and bland (mine setting doesn't especially pay off until the last segment). I think my biggest problem with Day of the Dead has been that the characters mostly seem one dimensional. The military characters are so machismo and militant while the science guys are cartoonishly scientific right down to their pocket protectors, etc (even the boozer really oversells his drinking). Some of the makeup effects look dated especially in high definition but some like the zombie with no mouth or the vivisection really hold up (there's a strange mix in special effects quality). Speaking of the vivisection segment, that's one epic scene - it's clever and gorey setting up with the guts spilling out.

On previous viewings I wasn't ever really a fan of Bub the intelligent zombie, it's a good idea but also really odd that just this one zombie would have more intelligence but I think this makes sense as an evolution of the ideas from Dawn that zombies are repeating life patterns. Seemingly Bub isn't the only intelligent zombie, just the one being studied now. Curious that the doctor makes a point that zombies operate on impulse/instinct while also making the opposing point that zombies can have intellect/memory. Bub getting revenge for science and serving some comeuppance is great.

Some of these zombies seem hungrier for intestines than brains.
I really like the hands coming through the wall at the introduction (even if Repulsion did it better).
"All the shopping malls are closed" - great line.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-21-17 at 02:52 AM.
Old 10-21-17, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 184 Likes on 128 Posts

I've always felt this movie is underrated in the Romero trilogy. I like how over-the-top the characters are. It makes sense to me that as civilization dwindles and the zombies outnumber people by an outrageous number, people would devolve into playground power dynamics which would leave little room for nuance in individual personalities. I'm looking forward to revisiting this tomorrow, I finally bought the scream factory blu for this year's challenge.
Old 10-21-17, 10:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is actually my second favorite in the franchise. It may be because of Bub; not really sure though since the story is very solid. Order for me would be Dawn, Day, Night, Land, Diary and finally Survival

Last edited by 3onameathook; 10-21-17 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-21-17, 03:26 PM

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

I love this movie, it's my favorite in The Dead series.
Old 10-21-17, 03:55 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

I love day of the dead mainly due to Joe Pilato. He has me in stitches with his one liners - "I am in charge of this monkey farm!"
Old 10-21-17, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

This is my favorite as well. The trope of running to the basement is played out quite well here, as most of the movie is played out in the 'basement'. I do agree that most of the characters are quite one dimensional, but it makes the payoff more satisfying. I've seen this twice since last year, and the Arrow extras are really quite extensive. I'm curious to compare them to the DVD.
Old 10-21-17, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

I'm glad that so many folks have warmed up to Day of the Dead;I think it's a horror classic.
Old 10-22-17, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I also love the soundtrack of this movie, and how it ends up a note of hope and optimism. Something I welcomed after such a bleak trilogy.
Old 10-22-17, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably one of my fav of the series as well. I always remember Bub as being annoying, but when I re-watch I realize just how awesome he is.
Old 10-22-17, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I had to go ahead and get the soundtrack, I love the music in this movie so much.
Old 10-22-17, 05:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just watched it friday after many years. Still don't like it. Bub is great though. The wife watched it with me, she's not a horror fan like myself, and she kept commenting on the over-acting. I don't think the film is aging well like the first two.
Old 10-22-17, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

I haven't seen the last of the Dead movies, but of the ones I have seen, I would rank this as the third best. Depending on my mood, I might rank Night or Dawn as the best. Right now, I would be more inclined to cite Night as my favorite.

I agree that there are elements of this film that haven't aged well, but I still think there's stuff to appreciate here. I do feel like this is the film when subtext started becoming text, like Romero felt he needed to explain things more than Night or Dawn.

I was happy that this was selected as I finally purchased it on Blu-ray. The real shame is that there is no definitive Dawn Blu-ray release out there or on the horizon. I never picked up the Anchor Bay Blu-ray because I figured another ultimate set with all the cuts would be released before too long. I can't believe we're still waiting 10 years later. Let's hope Criterion saves it like they apparently have done for Night.
Old 10-23-17, 08:56 AM

Received 219 Likes on 161 Posts

I used to like Day of the Dead a lot, mainly due to Tom Savini's over-the-top gore effects (which, surprisingly, still hold up for the most part). I find myself liking it less and less as the years go by. I've never been a fan of Bub (although I think that Howard Sherman did a bang-up job with the part), since I hate the trope of the "zombie that the audience is supposed to feel sorry for" with a passion--and it originated here. I think that the film is poorly scripted (I really miss Romero's social commentary, which is negligible here) and poorly acted--I just want to punch the guy that plays Miguel in the face repeatedly. I wish that I liked Day more, because Night and Dawn are two of my favorite films...but I just can't get past its inadequacies.
Old 10-23-17, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Some of these zombies seem hungrier for intestines than brains.
The brain thing didn't really start till the Return series.

I like Night best, then Dawn and Day are tied for second. Both have things I like/dislike but neither are perfect.
Old 10-23-17, 12:52 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrown498
I used to like Day of the Dead a lot, mainly due to Tom Savini's over-the-top gore effects (which, surprisingly, still hold up for the most part). I find myself liking it less and less as the years go by. I've never been a fan of Bub (although I think that Howard Sherman did a bang-up job with the part), since I hate the trope of the "zombie that the audience is supposed to feel sorry for" with a passion--and it originated here. I think that the film is poorly scripted (I really miss Romero's social commentary, which is negligible here) and poorly acted--I just want to punch the guy that plays Miguel in the face repeatedly. I wish that I liked Day more, because Night and Dawn are two of my favorite films...but I just can't get past its inadequacies.
This is pretty much where I stand, except I don't think I ever liked it much. Hadn't seen it in years, so it was easy to get thru this time, but even the commentaries don't do anything to add any appreciation of the film to me, as they normally do. It's not awful, just much weaker than the first two. Not even sure if I've seen the next ones in the series.
Old 11-01-17, 04:54 AM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Gobear
I'm glad that so many folks have warmed up to Day of the Dead;I think it's a horror classic.
George himself said that DAY is one of his favorites.