DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Reviews and Recommendations (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations-8/)
-   -   "Bad Moon" Reviews/Discussion - 2017 Horror Challenge (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations/641475-bad-moon-reviews-discussion-2017-horror-challenge.html)

Chad 09-24-17 11:42 PM

"Bad Moon" Reviews/Discussion - 2017 Horror Challenge

<BR>
<table border="30"><tr>
<td bgcolor=#000000>
Bad Moon (1996)

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...g.jpg~original

Selected by Darkgod

</tr></td></table>

IMDB ENTRY

ON SHOUT FACTORY TV

ALYXSTARR LINK

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

<table border="25"><tr>
<td bgcolor=#000000>
S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y
<td bgcolor=#76eec6>

<table border="5"><tr>
<td bgcolor=#2F4F4F>http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...kSmallLogo.jpg
</tr></td></table>
<table border="5"><tr>
<td bgcolor=#2F4F4F>http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...rSmallLogo.jpg
</tr></td></table>
<table border="5"><tr>
<td bgcolor=#2F4F4F>http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...c.jpg~original
</tr></td></table>
<table border="5"><tr>
<TD BGCOLOR=#000000>http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...d.jpg~original</tr></td></table>

<td bgcolor=#000000>
S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

</tr></td></table>

2017 DISCUSSION | 2017 LISTS
<BR>

WillieMLF 10-04-17 08:02 PM

Re: "Bad Moon" Reviews/Discussion - 2017 Horror Challenge

https://i.imgur.com/oaWIu6C.jpg

Saw this one a few months ago, and I'm really looking forward to watching it again.

Undeadcow 10-05-17 12:17 AM

I was glad to see Bad Moon selected as a subset film, I've heard excellent things about it. It's a good by the book werewolf movie that does a lot with a small cast.

Some of the production values seem a little too sleek and the uncle too action star rugged, from the starting segment I half expected the camera to pan away to show a 'film within a film' meta gag lampooning horror movies (where the movie you thought you were watching stops to reveal it's actually a movie being filmed in the movie you're watching). Some of the effects work haven't aged well (the upper story windows are huge, obvious machine werewolf, that transformation) but are cheesy enough to be fun.

Interestingly Wikipedia says this is a film that is an adaptation of a book telling the plot from the dog Thor's perspective including his wondering if the Werewolf is a threat of part of his (human) family. They should re-edit Bad Moon to add in dog narration.

WillieMLF 10-05-17 07:39 AM

I was pretty excited as well to see this one chosen. I had never heard of this movie six months ago, and it's one of my new favorites.

This movie has such a wholesome feel to it, with a really bad uncle thrown in. I tend to hold every werewolf movie up to The Howling when dealing with the actual wolf. I'm not much of a CGI guy, and I thought the practical effects were pretty good, but I figured it was a late 80s movie and not mid 90's.

I've listened to snippets of the commentary and the director didn't have very many nice things to say about Mariel Hemmingway's acting.

MysterioMan007 10-05-17 07:52 AM

This one has a special place for me for some reason. I think it might even be my favorite werewolf movie. I know it's probably not the best, but I think the idea of having a pet be the protagonist in a horror movie is just so unique. Thor was a beast and would not back down. As much as I loved the movie Hachi, this dog is the best live-action pet character on film, in my opinion.

3onameathook 10-05-17 06:53 PM

Many of these subsets are going to be first views for me so that's a plus :). Not a bad werewolf film; I have seen far worse. The werewolf transformation could have been much much better, and I actually thought it was going to be close to that of American Werewolf in London, but it was a little bit of a let down. I'd definitely watch this again.

Mondo Kane 10-05-17 07:18 PM

This flew by very fast (A good thing) Much better than I thought it would be. Very neat to see a horror film from the family pet's POV. One little distracting thing to me was that I swore I kept on hearing some of Star Wars' "Force Theme" on the score in the early going.

Gobear 10-05-17 08:02 PM

Great subset pick! I thoroughly enjoyed this. I loved seeing the story from the dog's POV,. Bad Moon was dragged badly by reviewers back in the day, and I don't see why. This was well worth watching.

numbercrunch 10-05-17 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Gobear (Post 13174179)
Great subset pick! I thoroughly enjoyed this. I loved seeing the story from the dog's POV,. Bad Moon was dragged badly by reviewers back in the day, and I don't see why. This was well worth watching.

Agree on all counts! I really enjoyed this one and the dog POV was very good.

Dick Laurent 10-05-17 09:47 PM

I swear I always think that's Jane March in the beginning.

Anyway, this has been one of my go-to werewolf movies. I remember previewing this the night before it was released, back when I was the manager of a movie theater. Those tree-top shots were rather amazing spread across the big screen. I also remember being horribly disappointed the first time I saw the transformation. Thank God that was cut from the director's cut.

DaveyJoe 10-05-17 11:57 PM

Maybe I was wrong about werewolf movies, only two minutes in and we all ready got titties.

DaveyJoe 10-05-17 11:59 PM

RIP titties. :(

DaveyJoe 10-06-17 12:02 AM

Oh I get it, we're gonna get attached to this dog just for it to die. I know how Hollywood works. I nominate Marley and Me for next year's challenge.

This guy puts Beggin' Strips in his coat pocket just so he can sue dog owners when they jump on him. :lol:

DaveyJoe 10-06-17 12:21 AM

(embraces man in the forest with a 1 o'clock shadow)
Mariel: "ever think about using the razor I got you for Christmas?"
This guy is in Lake Wilderness and he makes me look like Paul Bunyan

Innocent kid discovers weird uncle's RV meth lab. Truly a story ahead of its time.

...and the first jump scare from ducks this month. Thanks movie. :lol:

DaveyJoe 10-06-17 12:54 AM

Usually horror movies love the smart kid that adults don't believe cliche(think Fright Night), this time it's the dog that knows what's going on and they just used a rack focus shot as the dog spies on the villain. This movie is breaking barriers.

"Thor, c'mon, you love baseball."
Says who? I loved Amer but baseball puts me to sleep, what chance does a dog have?

I don't know who trained this dog the 'bitch, I'm watching you' expression but they deserve an Oscar.

Yo if this movie makes me cry I'm sending a strongly worded letter to Darkgod. I signed up for terror and disturbing movies, not some type of emotional catharsis.

rbrown498 10-06-17 01:37 AM

Things I loved about Bad Moon:

1. The dog
2. The short running time
3. The retaliation after Thor peed on the trailer
4. The dog

Great subset pick; I would never have watched it if Darkgod hadn't chosen it.

DaveyJoe 10-06-17 02:05 AM

"Nobody makes a fucking fool out of me, lady."
says the guy who humiliates himself so he can sue innocent people.
You know this movie was made right after Scream when the werewolf slits his throat instead of you know, eating him.

Ok now I'm pissed they took the dog away like some rabid possum. All of a sudden the uncle has gone from self-isolation to protect the family to full blown villain. Let this be a lesson to all neighbors who have an overly intrusive pet that yips and nips at ya until you just move away or serve up the mailman as a sacrifice.

Well things look like they're getting serious, so I've got this gun... but nah, I probably won't need it (puts gun away)
What??

This kid is riding his bike like he's about to leave Earth and bang E.T.'s mom.

You know it's the climax of the werewolf movie when they start doing closeups of the puppet.

"Thor, we gotta get out of here!"
Ok kid how bout you grow up and get your damn driver's license.
(dog jumps over some fence and saves the day again)

SterlingBen 10-06-17 04:33 PM

I think next year we should pick a movie or two and all start it at the same time so we can have a comments thread like this.

Also did anyone else think that Werewolf get up looked familiar, like maybe from another movie?

DaveyJoe 10-06-17 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by SterlingBen (Post 13174893)
I think next year we should pick a movie or two and all start it at the same time so we can have a comments thread like this.

Also did anyone else think that Werewolf get up looked familiar, like maybe from another movie?

I wish my schedule allowed me to watch these a little earlier. I just end up drunkenly talking to my self. :lol: :sad:

Gobear 10-06-17 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by SterlingBen (Post 13174893)

Dog Soldiers. The werewolf costumes looked similar, and the animatronic head used for closeups was reminiscent of An American Werewolf in London.

arw6040 10-06-17 07:09 PM

This was a refreshing werewolf film that I had never seen until now, really enjoyed my time watching this although I can't see myself revisiting it a lot like some other werewolf films I love. The dog vs werewolf dynamic was cool and different too. Loving these ^ commentaries haha.

WillieMLF 10-06-17 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by rbrown498 (Post 13174380)
Things I loved about Bad Moon:

1. The dog
2. The short running time
3. The retaliation after Thor peed on the trailer
4. The dog

Great subset pick; I would never have watched it if Darkgod hadn't chosen it.

Very well done. That flew right by me during the movie!

WillieMLF 10-06-17 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe (Post 13174387)
"Nobody makes a fucking fool out of me, lady."
says the guy who humiliates himself so he can sue innocent people.
You know this movie was made right after Scream when the werewolf slits his throat instead of you know, eating him.

Ok now I'm pissed they took the dog away like some rabid possum. All of a sudden the uncle has gone from self-isolation to protect the family to full blown villain. Let this be a lesson to all neighbors who have an overly intrusive pet that yips and nips at ya until you just move away or serve up the mailman as a sacrifice.

Well things look like they're getting serious, so I've got this gun... but nah, I probably won't need it (puts gun away)
What??

This kid is riding his bike like he's about to leave Earth and bang E.T.'s mom.

You know it's the climax of the werewolf movie when they start doing closeups of the puppet.

"Thor, we gotta get out of here!"
Ok kid how bout you grow up and get your damn driver's license.
(dog jumps over some fence and saves the day again)

Yes, he took a real turn! He was hoping the power of family would bring him back! Next scene he's waving goodbye to the dog as he's being led away to the pound.

I'm curious how they got the dog to go so wild during some of those scenes? I think I read in one of these threads how they got Shakima to go so nuts was to put a female baboon in heat in the other room. I've been packing in the bonker dog movies the past day and a half, and I didn't plan it that way.

WillieMLF 10-06-17 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Gobear (Post 13174931)
Dog Soldiers. The werewolf costumes looked similar, and the animatronic head used for closeups was reminiscent of An American Werewolf in London.

The one thing that bugged me was the hyper-extending of the jaw on this thing. I just kept on saying, 'Just don't pull the lever so much'.

clckworang 10-15-17 01:41 PM

I talk a lot of horror with the veterinary technicians when I take my dog for his weekly laser therapy. I'm always wearing horror shirts, so a lot of conversations were sparked from that. Anyway, a couple of months ago, the guy who most often does my dog's therapy was talking up this movie. He said it was one of his favorite werewolf movie, and he mentioned the dog since I have a German shepherd as well.

I enjoyed the movie quite a bit, and it seemed to go by really quick. The dog was one of the highlights, but it did make me very uneasy watching it at times as my aged and disabled German shepherd was cuddled up right next to me. The scene when they were taking the dog away was one of the rougher scenes of the month for me, but that had more to do with my dog and my own head space. Good selection and I'm not usually a big werewolf fan.