Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Bride of Frankenstein" Reviews/Discussion - 2016 Horror Challenge: Day 28

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-23-16, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn

Bride of Frankenstein (1935)

Selected by shadokitty

IMDB ENTRY

DAILYMOTION

ALYXSTARR LINK

ALYXSTARR LINK W/ COMMENTARY

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2016 DISCUSSION | 2016 LISTS

Last edited by Chad; 11-05-16 at 06:13 PM.
Old 10-10-16, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: "Bride of Frankenstein" Reviews/Discussion - 2016 Horror Challenge: Day 28

I haven't seem this one in some time and started getting a little worried a quarter into the movie. Why is this considered a classic I wondered? The prologue is awful and unnecessary. It just wastes time while I have to hear some guy in tight pants roll his "R"s every other word.

Then we get introduced to the original Jar Jar Binks otherwise known as "Minnie." I guess they wanted to put in some comic relief to keep from terrifying so many people as they did with the much more darker and direct Frankenstein. But dear fucking god I wanted to strangle this woman in the first few minutes. And then she begins to show up in every other fucking scene. Add in the new Elizabeth who sounds like she is heartedly laughing every time she is weeping and I was seriously wondering if I had lost my mind that so many people feel this movie is better than the original.

But then Karloff and Ernest Thesiger (Dr. Pretorius) come in a save the day (but we still have to endure fucking Minnie for several scenes and the terrible "minature person" scene). But once the minis are out of the way (awful scene but fantastic special effects for the time), it becomes the Karloff and Thesiger show.

Karloff was great in the original Frankenstein but he really wasn't given much to do. With this movie he brings so much compassion and feeling for the monster than you end up hating everyone else but him in the movie. My 12 year old son actually got a little teary-eyed (he told me) when the villagers came in and separated the blind man from Frankenstein. The movie is more tragedy than horror every step of the way.

When he is rejected by the Bride, it is heartbreaking once again. "Go...you live. You... (to Pretorius) stay. We belong dead!"

Damn! That is some heavy shit right there.

And I can't say enough about Thesiger. His portrayal of Dr. Pretorius rivals Karloff's and you just can't take your eyes off him. He has a fantastic face that is just made for the camera angles and lighting that James Whale used in this picture.

So even with the early setbacks and the horrid Minnie, I can understand why this movie surpasses the original and people give it the acclaim they do. I have to make mention of the effects and sets which are just fantastic in this.

One question...why does the monster suddenly get violent and start chasing Dwight Frye around and then throw him off the castle? Usually you have to set the monster off to get him violent but I don't remember Frye doing anything to provoke him. I meant to rewind it but forgot to.
Old 10-16-16, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've always like the first Frankenstein more than Bride, but this was the first time watching this one that I started feeling Bride getting the edge. It's difficult to say one is truly better than the other, though. This is one of those rare cases where the followup retains the quality of the first.

Speaking of which, I also loved Son of Frankenstein. I had only seen it once before but didn't remember it too well. This trio of movies is really tough to beat.
Old 10-28-16, 11:19 AM

I believe Ernest Thesiger is the single reason bride is ranked by many as the best frankenstein film because bride looks and plays like the original frankenstein with the exception of ernest thesiger. He raised the whole film to a new level
Old 10-29-16, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Bride of Frankenstein is a very smart picture twisting The Monster into a female form and relationship to which he is attracted and repelled. I think Bride has more depth than the original, which may be one thing that makes it stand out more.

The miniature people in jars bit seems strangely out of context and fantastic even for a film like this.

I like the intro with Mary Shelley - I half expected to revert back to Shelley at the end.
Old 10-30-16, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Holy crap, Chad! Where'd you get that insane poster image at the top of the page?
Old 10-31-16, 02:51 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Hard to choose between this and the original, and usually just watch them together.
Originally Posted by Undeadcow View Post
The miniature people in jars bit seems strangely out of context and fantastic even for a film like this.
I also think that was an odd scene.