Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Witchboard" Reviews/Discussion - 2016 Horror Challenge: Day 26

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-16, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Witchboard (1986)

Selected by ororama

IMDB ENTRY

Shout! Factory TV

ALYXSTARR LINK

ALYXSTARR LINK W/ COMMENTARY #1

ALYXSTARR LINK W/ COMMENTARY #2

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2016 DISCUSSION | 2016 LISTS

Last edited by Chad; 11-05-16 at 06:11 PM.
Old 10-02-16, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,077 Likes on 652 Posts
Re: "Witchboard" Reviews/Discussion - 2016 Horror Challenge: Day 26

Just an FYI...I was going thru my Roku search the other day and found that you can stream this movie for free in HD with the Shout Factory TV app.
Old 10-26-16, 06:23 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Free to watch on Vudu too.
Old 10-26-16, 09:38 AM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

I never cared much for this movie. Even when it first came out.

It's not scary. The acting is awful. The story is bland. The only decent part is the short nude scene back when Tawny Kitaen was hot.

I watched it at Vudu. There was only 2-3 ad breaks during the movie, each about 60 seconds.
Old 10-26-16, 10:31 AM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

i kept having whitesnake video flashbacks
Old 10-26-16, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

This has some pretty funny lines. 'Would you bring my Ouija board to class Friday. I need it to contact David and make sure he's all right.'

Some years back, Kevin Tenney was in attendance at a local horror festival to promote his new film, Brain Dead. They also showed Witchboard, and he had a Q&A before and after the film where he talked a good bit about making the film. He seemed quite funny and it was a great screening.
Old 10-27-16, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

So much of Witchboard is characters standing around explaining the film's inconsistent logic about ouija boards. It gets to the point where the parade of exposition gets hypnotic in a 'so bad it's good' way.

The ever present evil force that does the killing is surprisingly passive for so much of the movie; he can fling sheet rock, slash throats, and impale people as an all powerful presence but then seems to sleep for so much of the movie. The presence needs a "portal" but it doesn't seem like it was near all of the early killings (like the woman psychic). The 'David' ghost can slash Brandon's tires early in the movie without even having a portal.
Originally Posted by numbercrunch
i kept having whitesnake video flashbacks
The dated music and styles might be the most fun thing about Witchboard.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-27-16 at 02:28 PM.
Old 10-27-16, 02:18 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

I think I enjoyed the sequel more.
Old 10-27-16, 09:40 PM

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by WillieMLF
This has some pretty funny lines. 'Would you bring my Ouija board to class Friday. I need it to contact David and make sure he's all right.'
Funnier still juxtaposed against his complaining about the boyfriend being unfeeling.

'Why didn't you come to class??'
'...we were at a funeral.
'...but why weren't you at class?'

I thought the final scene was well done. Was it his funeral? Was it the friend's funeral? No! It was...

..not so much unobvious, but well thought out.
Old 10-28-16, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,077 Likes on 652 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I never cared much for this movie. Even when it first came out.

It's not scary. The acting is awful. The story is bland. The only decent part is the short nude scene back when Tawny Kitaen was hot.
These were exactly my thoughts on this movie.

Other than some big hair, it doesn't really even have that enjoyable mid-80's vibe that so many other movies from that time seem to have. It was interesting seeing Stephen Nichols in a major role other than Days Of Our Lives (which is what I knew him from since my Mom was addicted to that soap when I was growing up). He played bad boy Patch/Steve.

Damn, Tawny was smoking at the end in the suit with her hair all done up. They made her look almost plain until her nude scene and possession.
Old 10-29-16, 07:41 PM

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

I kind of enjoyed this one. Yes, it was dumb, but it was also fun, and I appreciated it even more for not having that ironic detachment that so many of the movies of the mid-to-late '80s have. I also loved a couple of the supporting characters, specifically Lloyd and Zarabeth.
Old 10-31-16, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
These were exactly my thoughts on this movie.

Other than some big hair, it doesn't really even have that enjoyable mid-80's vibe that so many other movies from that time seem to have. It was interesting seeing Stephen Nichols in a major role other than Days Of Our Lives (which is what I knew him from since my Mom was addicted to that soap when I was growing up). He played bad boy Patch/Steve.
That's where I know him from! My mom was also addicted to that era of Days of Our Lives. I remember that character well, but I don't think I would have ever recognized him here.

Originally Posted by rbrown498
I kind of enjoyed this one. Yes, it was dumb, but it was also fun, and I appreciated it even more for not having that ironic detachment that so many of the movies of the mid-to-late '80s have. I also loved a couple of the supporting characters, specifically Lloyd and Zarabeth.
These were pretty much my thoughts. Was it good? No, it wasn't. It was often times pretty damn silly, but it held my attention. It made me laugh, even if that laughter was not intended. Good to watch with some friends and have some fun ripping on it.

As someone else mentioned, the ending was well done. I already left that one guy for dead, so I thought it was rather clever when they did the wedding reveal.
Old 09-19-20, 04:56 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Witchboard is a very average horror movie. The performances of the three lead actors are competent, but bland. Tawny Kitaen fared best, but it was hard to believe that she would have anything to do with the two jerks. The highlight of the movie for me was Kathleen Wilhoite as the medium. While almost everyone else in the movie played their parts as if they were in a serious movie, she seemed to be having fun, and her character's jokes were a refreshing change from the usual deadly serious psychic role that bears the burden of explaining the spirit world to unbelievers. Burke Byrnes was also good as an appropriately serious police detective whose technique is to try to convince the suspects that he is interviewing that he is not that serious. There are a few jump scares, several nightmares, and some deaths which could have been more grisly. In all, it is a movie that entertains but could have used a faster pace and more frequent scares.

Last edited by ororama; 09-19-20 at 05:04 PM.