Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Deathgasm" Reviews/Discussion - 2016 Horror Challenge: Day 10

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-23-16, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Deathgasm (2015)

Selected by Undeadcow

IMDB ENTRY

ALYXSTARR LINK

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2016 DISCUSSION | 2016 LISTS

Last edited by Chad; 11-05-16 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-10-16, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: "Deathgasm" Reviews/Discussion - 2016 Horror Challenge: Day 10

First time viewing Deathgasm - the plot is very familiar, a gang of slacker outsiders end up surrounded by evil/zombies/etc and must somehow hold their own in an apocalyptic world... only this film 'cranks it up to 11.' The gore is top notch but some scenes come across as juvenile struggling to balance whole heartedly gore and romance/sex comedy Deathgasm goes for the gusto with enough spirit and vigor that it usually works. Despite the shameless zeal there are a few scenes, like the anal beads / dildo after dildo attack, that doesn't work as they're too over the top but they're still so nicely gore drenched and gritty. As it goes on things get more cartoonish to the point of becoming tiresome. I can see how Deathgasm has a lot wrong with it (it's more of an action movie than a 'scary' movie, spotty humor, limited plot) but found it fun anyway - the type of rare movie that is over the top to a fault.

Que the obligatory weapons montage... three cheers for practical effects...

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-10-16 at 01:25 AM.
Old 10-10-16, 11:28 AM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

agree undeadcow. first time viewing for me and i was highly entertained by the new zealand black horror comedy
Old 10-10-16, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

I loved this, a heavy metal blend of Dead/Alive and The Evil Dead. It's also an FTV for me. Blending horror and comedy can be tricky to master, but the filmmakers here succeed at gross-out humor with heapings of gore.
Old 10-10-16, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

35 minutes in and I find most of the characters annoying. I get the preepy kids needing to team up and jump others. But come on, the preepy girl goes from the prep guy to the cousin and then the cousin's heavy metal friend because he wasn't there. She wouldn't even just take off, but goes right to kissing him? Ugh. Not to mention that guy is a major douchebag. And the main song sounds like a Black Sabbath ripoff.
Old 10-10-16, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Gobear
I loved this, a heavy metal blend of Dead/Alive and The Evil Dead.
Yes, a fun watch and those influences are strong. While not everything worked, so much was going on that there was always something else coming. Stay tuned through the credits (or, if watching on Netflix, fast forward) ... there's a bonus scene at the end!

I wonder what the locals thought of the "Hail Satin!" vandalism message? One little letter makes a world of difference!
Old 10-10-16, 09:47 PM

Received 73 Likes on 38 Posts

"Do Demons recognise Daylight Savings Time..?"

There were moments when it seemed like 'Samurai Demons vs. KISS'. With a boxful of random sex toys...

Last edited by ntnon; 10-10-16 at 10:13 PM.
Old 10-11-16, 12:22 AM

Received 224 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
Yes, a fun watch and those influences are strong. While not everything worked, so much was going on that there was always something else coming. Stay tuned through the credits (or, if watching on Netflix, fast forward) ... there's a bonus scene at the end!

I wonder what the locals thought of the "Hail Satin!" vandalism message? One little letter makes a world of difference!
Brainee, I don't think that the locals thought anything of it, as it looked like CGI to me.

I was kind of dreading watching this film, but I ended up liking it a whole lot.
Old 10-11-16, 10:28 AM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrown498
I was kind of dreading watching this film, but I ended up liking it a whole lot.
Me too. I wasn't looking forward to it. But it was a fun flick and I'm glad I watched it.
Old 10-11-16, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I loved this film, but for me it had a strange, almost forced feel to it. Almost like the editor was really trying to save up any pacing for the quick-cuts and cool, Devil parts of the film. Dialogue and story development seemed to crawl by, sometimes at an agonizingly slow pace. Unfortunately this made that hilarious line about time zones fall flat. But the line about capitalization was awesomely funny.

I really enjoyed the end and post-credits with the vinyl playing. That was just such a cool part of the movie. The talking about the next band names really helped close the loop on the "metal" friendship.
Old 10-11-16, 07:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First watch for me. The background metal music gave it a hyped feeling, especially during the demon killing scenes. A lot of movies made in New Zealand, UK, Australia and other non-US Countries I have to put on the subtitles, even if it is an English movie. Sometimes the dialogue is spoken fast and is unrecognizable to me. I also had to the same thing for Under The Skin set in Scotland, where it was in English, but I could barely make out sayings and words. Anyways, cool movie. Liked the metal background, kind of like a River's Edge vibe to it.
Old 10-11-16, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Deathgasm (2015)

I'm not a fan of heavy metal, and the poster didn't do much to excite me, so I was surprised how much I enjoyed this comedy/horror flick from New Zealand. It's not as good as last year's What We Do in the Shadows, but I'm really enjoying the movies/shows coming from New Zealand recently. Heavily inspired by the Evil Dead films, Deathgasm features a nerdy metal band who inadvertently summon a horde of demons by playing an unholy song known as The Black Hymn. Chaos ensues, and it's up to the members of Deathgasm to save New Zealand, and the world, from an evil cult who wants to summon the demon Aeloth.

Quirky, funny, and even a little heart-warming, this film is very entertaining, and when the demons start attacking, the film does not skimp on the gore. Our heroes have to improvise their weapons, drill bits on the end of a guitar, dual-wielding chainsaws, and in a pinch, even a big, black rubber dildo is used as a weapon to fight the demonic forces. There's a beautiful kiwi love interest for eye candy, and at one point, even a demon penis is on display if you're into that sort of thing.
Old 10-12-16, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,064 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by ross_r
First watch for me. The background metal music gave it a hyped feeling, especially during the demon killing scenes. A lot of movies made in New Zealand, UK, Australia and other non-US Countries I have to put on the subtitles, even if it is an English movie. Sometimes the dialogue is spoken fast and is unrecognizable to me. I also had to the same thing for Under The Skin set in Scotland, where it was in English, but I could barely make out sayings and words. Anyways, cool movie. Liked the metal background, kind of like a River's Edge vibe to it.
I didn't have too much trouble with the accents but when you added the accents with the "demon" gargle, I found it near impossible to understand anything that the demons said.

That really being the only negative, I loved this movie. Granted it ripped off The Evil Dead series a ton which is the only thing that took away a little from it. But it had enough originality and humor to keep me interested the entire time. It was what KISS Meets The Phantom should have been.

This would pair nicely with Scouts Guide To The Zombie Apocalypse.
Old 10-12-16, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

I had already seen this one a couple of time before, so I opted for the audio commentary. Not a bad listen, although there were a few moments that dragged. You forget all the clearances that were necessary to get just to wear all of those band T-shirts, not to mention the music.

I enjoy this movie, but I do agree with the criticisms people have brought up. While I think the romance was necessary in its way, I think it was often awkwardly handled. Not everything landed, but it's a fun ride with plenty of gore to spare.

While I'm not really into metal all that much, I have some friends who are, and they all absolutely loved this movie and appreciated how many of the details it got right.