Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"The Exorcist III" Reviews/Discussion - 2016 Horror Challenge: Day 2

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-23-16, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn

The Exorcist III (1990)

Selected by Darth Maher

IMDB ENTRY

ALYXSTARR LINK

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2016 DISCUSSION | 2016 LISTS

Last edited by Chad; 11-05-16 at 05:57 PM.
Old 10-01-16, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: "The Exorcist III" Reviews/Discussion - 2016 Horror Challenge: Day 2

This was just a strange movie altogether. Strange script, strange dialogue, strange acting by George C. Scott and even stranger cameos. Did I really see C. Everett Coop among several others?

Don't have much time to discuss right now but I look forward to hearing people's thoughts on this one.
Old 10-02-16, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay, the cameo list that I noticed: Larry King, C. Everett Coop and the two beautiful angels Fabio and Patrick Ewing! What the fuck? Just bizarre. There may have been others but those are the ones that came to mind.

This script was manic along with George C. Scott. Trust me. I like to see Scott get animated. He does it with the best of them. But this movie makes him seem bi-polar. One minute joking, one minute quietly pensive, one minute angry, one minute yelling, one minute weeping, and on and on. You get the drift.

And the movie's ties to the original Exorcist were tenuous at best. Then I did some minor reading and it appears that the book and script had really nothing to do with the original book or movie but the studio demanded they shoehorn some stuff in to give it some ties so they could change the title for marketing purposes.

I did enjoy the way they constantly played with Dourif's voice. He did a good job in the small part he had. The story itself was just all over the place but for every creepy moment you had a laughable moment (like the old lady crawling on the ceiling).

Any way...didn't hate it. Didn't like it. It was just so so. I would definitely be interested to see what the director's cut holds but not really sure I would want to pay a premium to see it.
Old 10-02-16, 04:56 PM

That jumpscare gets me every time. I know it's coming, but I can't help it. The timing and set-up is just perfect.
Old 10-02-16, 05:07 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

that fucking nun...
Old 10-02-16, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post
Okay, the cameo list that I noticed: Larry King, C. Everett Coop and the two beautiful angels Fabio and Patrick Ewing! What the fuck? Just bizarre. There may have been others but those are the ones that came to mind.

This script was manic along with George C. Scott. Trust me. I like to see Scott get animated. He does it with the best of them. But this movie makes him seem bi-polar. One minute joking, one minute quietly pensive, one minute angry, one minute yelling, one minute weeping, and on and on. You get the drift.

And the movie's ties to the original Exorcist were tenuous at best. Then I did some minor reading and it appears that the book and script had really nothing to do with the original book or movie but the studio demanded they shoehorn some stuff in to give it some ties so they could change the title for marketing purposes.

I did enjoy the way they constantly played with Dourif's voice. He did a good job in the small part he had. The story itself was just all over the place but for every creepy moment you had a laughable moment (like the old lady crawling on the ceiling).

Any way...didn't hate it. Didn't like it. It was just so so. I would definitely be interested to see what the director's cut holds but not really sure I would want to pay a premium to see it.
Samuel L. Jackson, too, but they dubbed his voice. He's in that same scene with Fabio and Ewing.
Old 10-02-16, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is the second time I've seen this film; the first was a few years ago with a group of friends. I found it a pretty effective film in a lot of ways. I've always been a fan of George C. Scott and his brand of overacting. I really like Ed Flander's too brief portrayal of Father Dyer and Brad Dourif's super creepy killer. Also, Ken Lerner shows up for a scene as an angry doctor, and it's always nice to see him.

The film does a lot well. There are very creepy moments, and I like that the horrific murders are hinted it instead of shown in grisly detail. Staged murders can look silly or confusing, and the moments that we see the crucified boy convince me that these murders are best left to our imaginations. The scenes of Nurse Keating before she gets killed contain two of the best jump scares I've ever seen. The first time I watched this, I spilled a bowl of popcorn and had to quickly pick it up before my friends' dog could gorge himself.

The film fails for me when supernatural or dreamlike elements creep into the narrative: the old woman crawling on the ceiling, the fire and snakes, Kinderman's heaven dream. Also, the idea of elderly, catatonic patients being possessed works in a book, but when the old woman attacks Kinderman and his family, it looks pretty silly as does her slow-motion fall.

All-in-all, it's a film that I like and enjoy watching. The scenes between Scott and Dourif talking in the cell are interesting, and the film raises some good (if well trod) points about evil and religion.

Has anyone read the book on which the film is based? I've not read any of William Peter Blatty's novels.
Old 10-02-16, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's Josh Olson commenting on the film for Trailers from Hell:
Old 10-02-16, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mrcellophane View Post
This is the second time I've seen this film; the first was a few years ago with a group of friends. I found it a pretty effective film in a lot of ways. I've always been a fan of George C. Scott and his brand of overacting. I really like Ed Flander's too brief portrayal of Father Dyer and Brad Dourif's super creepy killer. Also, Ken Lerner shows up for a scene as an angry doctor, and it's always nice to see him.

The film does a lot well. There are very creepy moments, and I like that the horrific murders are hinted it instead of shown in grisly detail. Staged murders can look silly or confusing, and the moments that we see the crucified boy convince me that these murders are best left to our imaginations. The scenes of Nurse Keating before she gets killed contain two of the best jump scares I've ever seen. The first time I watched this, I spilled a bowl of popcorn and had to quickly pick it up before my friends' dog could gorge himself.

The film fails for me when supernatural or dreamlike elements creep into the narrative: the old woman crawling on the ceiling, the fire and snakes, Kinderman's heaven dream. Also, the idea of elderly, catatonic patients being possessed works in a book, but when the old woman attacks Kinderman and his family, it looks pretty silly as does her slow-motion fall.

All-in-all, it's a film that I like and enjoy watching. The scenes between Scott and Dourif talking in the cell are interesting, and the film raises some good (if well trod) points about evil and religion.

Has anyone read the book on which the film is based? I've not read any of William Peter Blatty's novels.

The book is great but is more dialogue driven than anything and you also get an expanded view on the Gemini killer and his motives. In the book we really get see what he meant by "shaming daddy." He definitely wasn't talking about Jesus or God.

I read the book about once a year and it is creepy. I'm anxious to see the alternate cut that is suppose to stay truer to the novel.
Old 10-02-16, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
The book is great but is more dialogue driven than anything and you also get an expanded view on the Gemini killer and his motives. In the book we really get see what he meant by "shaming daddy." He definitely wasn't talking about Jesus or God.

I read the book about once a year and it is creepy. I'm anxious to see the alternate cut that is suppose to stay truer to the novel.
Thanks! I've added the eBook to my cart on B&N. I'll try to get to it this month. I do have a couple horror books on my nightside already!
Old 10-02-16, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I really enjoy The Exorcist III but watching it now I can see how a lot of the references to the original are ham fisted and more coincidental than logical. This film manages to channel my fear of old people without being too silly (that woman who ends up at George C Scott's home just might give me nightmares). The Gemini Killer is really interesting and somehow seems weaker for being a demonic force (never do they explain the astrology references, etc - seems like there should be more plot specific depth than just a reference to the real life Zodiac killer). I kind of like the tacked on exorcism scene at the end even if they don't make much sense - it gives it an ethereal sense.

I am also looking forward to check out the Director's Cut later in the month; and wasn't originally planning on purchasing it just yet...
Old 10-03-16, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As much as I want to like Exorcist III, I've come away from it both times that I've seen it with practically no reaction at all. Yes, the jump scare(s) in the hospital are justifiably famous, but the rest really leaves me wanting more. It feels like there's probably a good film in there somewhere, but what we ended up with certainly isn't it. I have high hopes for the upcoming director's cut.

One really nitpicky thing that bothers me: at one point, Kinderman says that Father Karras had been his best friend. Based on the novel and the first film, that's patently not true. Like I said, it's a quibble, but it sticks out like a sore thumb to me.

As a personal aside, I was working at Georgetown University when they shot this. It was quite cool having a real movie being shot on campus, even if the trucks and cables and lighting rigs turned navigating across campus into an obstacle course. One of my best friends worked at a high-end clothing store on M Street at the time, and Carter De Haven, the producer of the film, came in one day and they started chatting, since my friend had majored in film. He ended up finagling an invitation to spend the day watching them shoot the scenes set in the Key Theater. He said, if I'm remembering correctly, that George C. Scott didn't have a whole to to say, but that his wife, Trish Van Devere, who was visiting the set as well, was very pleasant and outgoing.
Old 10-03-16, 12:51 AM

First time viewing for me, and I don't know how I missed this one. The movie was enjoyable till at least for me they went a little overboard when they started with the exorcism. They did good up until then with the style of films such as Seven.
Old 10-03-16, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by rbrown498 View Post
As much as I want to like Exorcist III, I've come away from it both times that I've seen it with practically no reaction at all. Yes, the jump scare(s) in the hospital are justifiably famous, but the rest really leaves me wanting more. It feels like there's probably a good film in there somewhere, but what we ended up with certainly isn't it. I have high hopes for the upcoming director's cut.

One really nitpicky thing that bothers me: at one point, Kinderman says that Father Karras had been his best friend. Based on the novel and the first film, that's patently not true. Like I said, it's a quibble, but it sticks out like a sore thumb to me.

As a personal aside, I was working at Georgetown University when they shot this. It was quite cool having a real movie being shot on campus, even if the trucks and cables and lighting rigs turned navigating across campus into an obstacle course. One of my best friends worked at a high-end clothing store on M Street at the time, and Carter De Haven, the producer of the film, came in one day and they started chatting, since my friend had majored in film. He ended up finagling an invitation to spend the day watching them shoot the scenes set in the Key Theater. He said, if I'm remembering correctly, that George C. Scott didn't have a whole to to say, but that his wife, Trish Van Devere, who was visiting the set as well, was very pleasant and outgoing.

I believe she did some of the demonic voices for Karras towards the end there.
Old 10-03-16, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So what was the specific jump scare everyone keeps mentioning?

Jump scares tend to do nothing for me as I rarely react to them for some reason. Now my wife and kid...that's a completely different story. They almost jump out of their seat during standard jump scares. I guess I have dulled myself towards them.
Old 10-03-16, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post
So what was the specific jump scare everyone keeps mentioning?

Jump scares tend to do nothing for me as I rarely react to them for some reason. Now my wife and kid...that's a completely different story. They almost jump out of their seat during standard jump scares. I guess I have dulled myself towards them.
I was referring to the scene where Nurse Keating investigates a sound that turns out to be ice cracking in a glass of water only to be frightened by an irate patient. Then immediately after that when a figure with the shears suddenly comes at her.
Old 10-03-16, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just noticed the George C Scott photoshop in the original post; nice touch.
Old 10-03-16, 10:06 AM

I remember watching this well back in the day and being confused at the lack of split-pea soup shooting from the possessed, among other things. I found that I enjoyed it the second time around but felt there were some confusing moments for me. Loved watching George C. Scott get all Paton on a few people.

Back in the day, I used to watch St. Elsewhere and noticed Ed Flanders immediately. During the dream/ train station sequence, Elsewhere popped up on the train timetable, right before Fabio appeared. Yes that was C. Evertt Coop.
Old 10-03-16, 12:24 PM

Exorcist III i hated when it first came out, but it is a rare film that grows on me with repeat viewings. It creeps me out as much as the first film. I can't wait for the scream factory release end of this month so we can see the directors cut. i got it on pre-order
Old 10-03-16, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Exorcist part III (1990)

A criminally underrated sequel, William Peter Blatty's The Exorcist part III features genuine scares, and great performances. While it doesn't live up to the original, it manages to stand on its own as a good movie, and wash away the stink of the second film. George C. Scott plays a gruff, cynical cop investigating a series of murders in Georgetown. Things get personal when Scott's friend Father Dyer is exsanguinated. A mental patient known as the Gemini Killer asks to meet with him, and Scott is shocked to find that he looks remarkably like Father Karras from the first movie. The scenes between Scott and Brad Douriff are the real highlights of the film.

I'm amazed to find out the studio wanted to get rid of Douriff and refilm all of his scenes with Jason Miller, who played Karras, because I think Douriff really steals the show. He gives an electric, unsettling performance, and every scene he's in is fascinating and scary. I know the film suffered a bit from creative differences between the director and the studio, but I find it really enjoyable despite these issues. I actually enjoyed the brief exorcism scene at the end, even if it feels tacked on. There's nothing I can add about the famous jump scare, but it lives up to the hype. I'm interested in seeing the director's cut from Scream Factory someday, but I'm actually quite satisfied with the film in its current incarnation.
Old 10-03-16, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The movie is actually worlds better than the book, and that jump-scare is one of the all-time greats. However, there is no stink from The Heretic, as it was whisked away by Blair's sheer nightgown, if you catch my drift.
Old 10-06-16, 12:01 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by mrcellophane View Post
Here's Josh Olson commenting on the film for Trailers from Hell
I have to disagree with Olson slightly on his assertion that Exorcist III contains the best use of Fabio in a movie. I'd give that honor to Dude, Where's My Car? I get that Dude's brand of humor isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I enjoyed the fact that, even though, they could have done the lazy thing and left Fabio's cameo as "Hey, look, it's Fabio! Remember him? Isn't that funny?" they instead made an actual humorous scene from it with Kutcher and Scott's competition of oneupmanship that culminated in the two of them kissing.

Anyway, I'm a huge fan of Exorcist III, and it disappoints me that his bad experiences making this most likely led to Blatty never directing another film. This and The Ninth Configuration show that Blatty had a high level of skill behind the camera, often constructing some really well composed shots. His often surreal take throughout both films ups the atmosphere immensely. Exorcist III definitely has its own style that is very different from William Friedkin's horror verité, but it suits the material.

It should go without saying that it's fairly easy to tell that the subplot with the exorcist played by Nicol Williamson was inelegantly jammed into the final film, and that studio interference definitely weakens it. I'm really looking forward to seeing the director's cut and hoping the varied quality of the mixed sources doesn't ruin the experience too much.
Old 10-31-16, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I remember watching this one back when it was in theaters and really liking it. I ended up watching the Legion cut this time. I don't think I've seen the movie much if any since I first saw it, so my recollection of the theatrical cut is a little bit foggy. I still liked the movie, but I really need to see the theatrical cut again before I can make a determination on which I prefer. I should have done that this year, but it doesn't look like it's going to happen this month.
Old 10-31-16, 02:50 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Very curious to try that other cut. Always enjoy this film for the creepy moments, mostly hinted at death and gore, and perhaps the best jump scare ever.