Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Living Dead at Manchester Morgue" Reviews/Discussion - 2016 Horror Challenge: Day 1

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

"Living Dead at Manchester Morgue" Reviews/Discussion - 2016 Horror Challenge: Day 1

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-16, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue (1974)

Selected by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi

Spoiler:

IMDB ENTRY

ON DAILYMOTION

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2016 DISCUSSION | 2016 LISTS

Last edited by Chad; 11-05-16 at 05:56 PM.
Old 09-30-16, 03:49 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
Re: "Living Dead at Manchester Morgue" Reviews/Discussion - 2016 Horror Challenge: Da

Just bumping since this day is already "live" in parts of the planet. I don't think I own this one, so hopefully that dailymotion link holds up.
Old 10-01-16, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: "Living Dead at Manchester Morgue" Reviews/Discussion - 2016 Horror Challenge: Da

Dailymotion worked here.

"I'm mad about apples."
Old 10-01-16, 04:14 PM

Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

This was the second time that I've seen this film, and, luckily, it held up pretty well. I like that there's both a scientific explanation for the existence of the zombies (that "sonic radiation" doohickey out in the pasture) and a supernatural one (the zombies' ability to make other dead folks rise by smearing the blood of the living on them). I also like the weird nightmare logic of the film, in that once the basic locations are established, the characters sort of find themselves having to go back to them once they've become unsafe.
Old 10-01-16, 10:14 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

This is also my second time to see this movie and I agree that it help up pretty well. I love 70's films and it definitely belongs in that era. I loved the way the cops assumed that the hippie was involved even though he was just passing through. I watched in with the English dub this time and I thought they did a great job and even more important my wife was willing to watch it since it wasn't subtitled. That definitely added to my enjoyment. It was a great pick even though it was a re-watch for me.
Old 10-01-16, 10:51 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

The spectral elusive zombies here are really a nice change of pace; I love the way there is an aura of mystery uncommon for most teeth gnashing zombie films - and the cold zombie stare is effective. The farmland environment lends itself nicely to this environment of eeriness (plus ties in nicely to the ecological theme). Zombie babies are one of the most played out 'twists' (I've seen two films with zombie babies today, and one zombie kid) but they're handled here with sufficient medical curiosity instead of check schlock. I love the idea of a man made machine inadvertently raising the dead; but perhaps it's a bit too obvious (certainly the odd machine plays a big role in the movie once such a strange contraption appears).

It's unfortunate the Blue Underground blu-ray cover spoils the end; most annoying home video release cover ever.

What was with the random naked woman at the start of the movie? That was really strange.

So far this is the best movie I've seen this challenge, second time viewing it also.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-01-16 at 10:57 PM.
Old 10-02-16, 12:38 AM

Received 226 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
What was with the random naked woman at the start of the movie? That was really strange.
Ah, the '70s--she was a streaker, as immortalized in the Ray Stevens song "The Streak." Streaking was held up as some sort of political statement or other (note her flashing of the peace sign as she starts her run), when in reality it was just (mostly) college kids with too much time on their hands and exhibitionist tendencies.
Old 10-02-16, 04:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Is there a reason why "Living Dead of Manchester Morgue" overruled the (Badass) previous title of LET SLEEPING CORPSES LIE?

Just sayin'.
Old 10-02-16, 08:02 AM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

i saw this one for the first time when i was 9 on a big drive in theater screen. it scared the crap out of me. i hid in the back seat of the car. still holds up today as a creepy, atmospheric zombie film
Old 10-02-16, 12:17 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrown498
Ah, the '70s--she was a streaker, as immortalized in the Ray Stevens song "The Streak." Streaking was held up as some sort of political statement or other (note her flashing of the peace sign as she starts her run), when in reality it was just (mostly) college kids with too much time on their hands and exhibitionist tendencies.
This brings to memory a neighborhood kid when I was about 7 in the early 70s. He was older, middle school or high school maybe. Streaking was 'the rage' but we young kids in the neighborhood didn't really understand it. I have this vague memory of a couple of us going to this older kids house one day, and he telling us how he was a streaker. Looking back, I wonder if he was a perv. My sister, friends, and I avoided him after this one day. Crap, he was probably harmless, but I feel sort of creepy and violated thinking back on that day.
Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Is there a reason why "Living Dead of Manchester Morgue" overruled the (Badass) previous title of LET SLEEPING CORPSES LIE?

Just sayin'.
I agree. I read somewhere that it had like 15 different titles.
Old 10-02-16, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue (1978)

This was a refreshing turn after Zombie Fight Club. A classic zombie horror with old school photography and a slower pace. A chance encounter of a vehicular accident leads to a zombie nightmare in the British countryside. There is a lot of tension between the two leads who just can't stand each other. The local cops are appropriately incompetent as they chase after them, ignorant to the fact that the ever growing body count is caused by zombies created by the pesticides from local farmers.

This was a fun film, and I have to admit to being smitten with the lead actress Cristina Galbo: let's take a moment:

Anyway, this was apparently an Italian production but the dubbing was surprisingly convincing, to the point that I had to look it up and double check. The pacing is nice, and the gore is convincing, there are some suspenseful moments and the main zombie is appropriately scary. I'd really like to revisit this one in the future.
Old 10-02-16, 10:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first time I ever saw it I thought it was absolute crap and swore I'd never watch it again, but it has been quite awhile since then as well as viewings. I feel that I have grown to like it as I've watched again and again, but it still to some degree bothers me that farming equipment was the cause of reanimating corpses. Loved the ending and thought it was appropriate for one person in particular......won't mention who although everyone has probably seen it already.
Old 10-04-16, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I didn't first see this until almost 6 years ago and really liked it. Not sure how I managed to never see this back in the days of VHS.
Old 10-04-16, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

This is a favorite of mine. And to my knowledge it's the original zombie movie that started the "breast-chomping" fad. It later inspired Italian ripoff scenes in Burial Ground and Zombie Holocaust.

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane

Just sayin'.
That's why I've held on to my old Anchor Bay tin from around 2000 -- superior title and cover art.
Old 10-04-16, 07:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw this on Saturday late replying but I am middle of the road with this didn't love it, didn't hate it. I think the atmosphere is fantastic but I do feel it was a little lacking in holding my interest enough the majority of the time. I think I'll return to it someday later to see if my opinion changes since I might not have been in the right mood for it.
Old 10-07-16, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

I really wanted to like this one but after an interesting start, the movie just dragged for me. Strangely I felt the movie got less interesting as more zombies showed up. I didn't hate the movie but I didn't find it compelling at all. Just paint by numbers the second half on.

But Holey Moley, what a rack on the heroin sister! I just wish those had been on more prominent display.
Old 10-07-16, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
what a rack on the heroin sister!
My takeaway as well. The last half of the film is darkdarkdarkcantseeshit and that's bothersome. But otherwise, I think I enjoyed it more upon second viewing. A good emulation of the zombie styles of the times.
Old 10-31-16, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

This was the first film I watched in this year's challenge, yet I somehow never got around to commenting on it. Funny how that works.

This wasn't my first time watching this movie. I liked it my previous times watching it, and I think it has held up. I like that it's essentially your normal zombie movie but with a slightly different spin on it.