Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"The Midnight Hour" Reviews/Discussion - 2015 Horror Challenge: Day 31

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-23-15, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

The Midnight Hour (1985)

Selected by orlmac

IMDB ENTRY

ON YOUTUBE

ALYXSTARR LINK

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2015 DISCUSSION | 2015 LISTS

Last edited by Chad; 10-01-15 at 08:57 PM.
Old 09-25-15, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 319 Likes on 242 Posts
Re: "The Midnight Hour" Reviews/Discussion - 2015 Horror Challenge: Day 31

STILL kicking myself for taping the original airing of this to watch once and then taping over it!
Old 10-27-15, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

The Midnight Hour was a lot of fun; it's stupid but energetic. I love the randomness... dance party lip sync - I know they were stretching and trying to hard but still was entertaining.

The 'Norman Rockwell' style wholesome America feel was well executed and yielded a nostalgic Halloween backdrop eventually payed off well in the end inverting things for a surreal zombie nightmarish anarchy. There's not a lot of physical threat so when the reincarnated witch/vampire strikes in the wine seller it has more impact.

Look, it's Reading Rainbow trying to pull a 'devil may care' rebel attitude!

The VHS/DVD cover art for this is one of the most generic and off-putting that I had overlooked this before:
Spoiler:

Old 10-28-15, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 86 Likes on 54 Posts

I remember when this first aired back in the 80s. It was one of those things everybody at my school was excited about before it aired and talked about afterwards. Then after that, it kinda died. I never heard anybody reference again until I came across the DVD online and snatched it right up. It is pretty dated (the mandatory dance scene all 80s movies had to have) but it is still a blast to watch! I'll probably watch it on Friday night.
Old 10-31-15, 11:18 AM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

This is a very schizophrenic movie. I see where the love for it comes from, it captures the time period perfectly and is a lot of fun to watch. I got a kick out of seeing LeVar Burton without his star trek visor and really enjoyed seeing Dick Van Patten as a ghoulish vampire. I think it was really done well for a tv movie.
Old 10-31-15, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 918 Likes on 564 Posts

I don't know if I want to end my Halloween viewing watching this. I may have to catch this at the first of the week.
Old 10-31-15, 12:00 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 649 Likes on 435 Posts

Pretty sure I've never heard of this before now. Not sure how, as I'm a Trekkie and collect films set on Halloween. It was all over the place crazy, but fun. Great cast, every other scene I was thinking oh, it's that girl from that thing, or some such. Dick Miller is probably in here somewhere.
Old 11-01-15, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts

Weird. After re-watching this for the first time since the 80's, I could've sworn that "Baby I'm Yours" played during the "Devil or Angel" dance--Which ended up being the callback to the final scene.
Anyway, quite a bittersweet revisit for me. I first caught this in either Halloween '87 or '88. Never seen it since then and had some major childhood flashbacks while I was watching it. I must say this was a good note to end the challenge on.

BTW, if you younger guys didn't know, 60's songs were HUGE in the 80's. It's no surprise that a majority of the tunes you hear in this flick are from that era.
Old 11-01-15, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

My wife would love to own a copy of this. I did not know Youtube had the full movie, but she would prefer to own a physical copy of it. I tried downloading the one from the bottom link but it would not let me.
Old 11-01-15, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

So..... what happens after the credits?

Did everything reset to earlier? Did those killed/vampire-d by the undead resurrect? Was everything still a mess in the morning..?!

The spell words mentioned that those killed on the night would rise as undead (as they did), but when the previously undead were returned to their graves....

I enjoyed the zaniness and all-in-one-ness (witches, vampires, zombies, werewolves...) of it all, but there were some unanswered questions!
Old 11-01-15, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 210 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Weird. After re-watching this for the first time since the 80's, I could've sworn that "Baby I'm Yours" played during the "Devil or Angel" dance--Which ended up being the callback to the final scene.
Anyway, quite a bittersweet revisit for me. I first caught this in either Halloween '87 or '88. Never seen it since then and had some major childhood flashbacks while I was watching it. I must say this was a good note to end the challenge on.

BTW, if you younger guys didn't know, 60's songs were HUGE in the 80's. It's no surprise that a majority of the tunes you hear in this flick are from that era.
I've got a problem with Sandy dedicating that song--it came out in 1965, and Sandy died in 1959. Since she didn't know of anything else that had happened past her death date, I don't see how she could have requested that song. If a movie takes the time to set up rules, it should obey them.

But then again, I'm looking for some sort of verisimilitude in a TV movie about witches, vampires, and werewolves that aired on ABC in the mid-80s. I should know better.