Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Black Sheep" Reviews/Discussion - 2015 Horror Challenge: Day 27

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-23-15, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Black Sheep (2006)

Selected by J. Farley

IMDB ENTRY

ON DAILYMOTION

ON YOUTUBE

ALYXSTARR LINK

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2015 DISCUSSION | 2015 LISTS

Last edited by Chad; 10-01-15 at 08:53 PM.
Old 10-27-15, 06:22 AM

Received 492 Likes on 354 Posts
Re: "Black Sheep" Reviews/Discussion - 2015 Horror Challenge: Day 27

I watched this using the DailyMotion channel on the Roku. The video quality was really good.

Overall, I really enjoyed the film. The humor worked well. The makeup and special effects were excellent. Although I think it would have been better without all the excess gore. I know some people like that stuff. But I felt it was distracting and too over the top. The movie would have been just as effective without lingering on guts and entrails.
Old 10-27-15, 12:44 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

Surprisingly effective film. I was afraid that it would turn out to be stupid funny but they did a good job with the humor they had. The gore was a little excessive but not surprisingly so. I enjoyed the movie quite a bit more than I expected.
Old 10-27-15, 01:17 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 649 Likes on 435 Posts

Really enjoyed it as well. Loved that first attack! Maybe I'm desensitized more than normal (wait, of course I am) but the gore didn't seem too excessive and perhaps even helped in this type of film.
Old 10-27-15, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back when I originally watched this I did not care much for it. A second viewing changed my opinion of it. It was much funnier than I remember.
Old 10-27-15, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

"I'm not a tree!

...I'm a fa*king sheep."
Old 10-27-15, 03:06 PM

Every zombie film needs that old lady wandering round with a shotgun and plate of snacks.
Old 10-27-15, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Overall, I really enjoyed the film. The humor worked well. The makeup and special effects were excellent..
I agree. Coincidentally, I heard criticism a few minutes ago of "obvious puppets in Black Sheep" which seems very harsh - I thought the effects and sheep were very well done.
Old 10-27-15, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

The malicious sheep plot is brilliant and Black Sheep is all in committed to it, maybe even to a fault with scenes played for laughs rather than suspense - feelings like an overlong skit with humor that too often misses. The activist, the ambitiously corporate brother, etc eventually become one dimensional repeats of the same joke; stuff like the scientist/lab are too cartoon-ish it's distracting. I love some of the elements like contrasting pastoral tranquility with gore and the glorious practical effects. The 'old ways' versus 'new ways' is a nice theme and so obvious it adds to the humor.

Stupidest ending ever.
Originally Posted by Trevor
]...the gore... helped in this type of film.
I agree, the gore really helped and was a surreal contrast to all the silliness.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-27-15 at 06:26 PM.
Old 10-27-15, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 183 Likes on 127 Posts

Enjoying this one so far. I can't believe it, but this is the second film in a month to feature New Zealand canned 'basghetti'
Old 10-27-15, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 918 Likes on 564 Posts

Good effects didn't save this one for me. The humor fell flat and the movie just came across as an extended short, exactly like Undeadcow mentioned above. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood after just finishing Wolf Creek 2 which I thought was excellent.
Old 10-27-15, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The German businessman just did the Wilhelm scream.
Old 10-27-15, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I watched this using the DailyMotion channel on the Roku. The video quality was really good.

Overall, I really enjoyed the film. The humor worked well. The makeup and special effects were excellent. Although I think it would have been better without all the excess gore. I know some people like that stuff. But I felt it was distracting and too over the top. The movie would have been just as effective without lingering on guts and entrails.
I thought the gore was necessary as the film had a meat is murder thing going on that reminded me of The Jungle or Blood of the Beasts. After Midnight Meat Train and The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, it's actually the 3rd film I've watched this month that featured themes of people reduced to meat. The scenes of gore were nicely contrasted with bookends of Granny slicing up rabbit meet for her stew. I think at times, I was more grossed out by what Granny was cooking than the human victims' entrails.
Old 10-28-15, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 210 Likes on 156 Posts

I had an unexpected blast with this one. From the trailer, this looked like it could either be kind of fun or REALLY bad. Luckily, I found it to be fun. I thought that, while it wasn't scary per se, it did have some nicely-timed jump scares.
Old 10-28-15, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
I agree. Coincidentally, I heard criticism a few minutes ago of "obvious puppets in Black Sheep" which seems very harsh - I thought the effects and sheep were very well done.
Agreed! Thought this was pretty fun with lots of gore thrown in. I couldn't find my DVD, and need to do a better job of preparing next year. Thanks ALYXSTARR for the link.
Old 10-28-15, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
The malicious sheep plot is brilliant and Black Sheep is all in committed to it, maybe even to a fault with scenes played for laughs rather than suspense - feelings like an overlong skit with humor that too often misses. The activist, the ambitiously corporate brother, etc eventually become one dimensional repeats of the same joke; stuff like the scientist/lab are too cartoon-ish it's distracting..
Yes, the unreasonable earnestness and gobbledegook of the activist was irritating at the start. And the Dr. even had a throwaway line about having been kicked out of her former job for Frankenstein-y experiments.

I liked the brother bleating (reminded me of Dr. Dillamond in Wicked), and I fogot to mention yesterday that this might be best/most accurate usage of the insults "f*cker" and "wanker" I've seen...
Old 10-28-15, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Enjoying this one so far. I can't believe it, but this is the second film in a month to feature New Zealand canned 'basghetti'
Missed that entirely - and I noticed special mention in the credits of the Penguin History of NZ... where was that?
Old 10-28-15, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
I think at times, I was more grossed out by what Granny was cooking than the human victims' entrails.
Very much so!